Gourmet Society Membership 3months for£1!

Options

Comments

• AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ...and to be fair, people also need to read the Ts & Cs and accept responsibility for giving bank details for a free trial.

Not always easy when there's pages and pages of it and a lot of terminology isn't clear.

I've not heard of or tried this card but I do have a taste card which I've cancelled as it's quite rubbish to be honest.
  • m_i
    m_i Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    I did not read the paperwork.

Honestly please keep emailing them and they should give you a refund. I emailed them everyday for 2 weeks after phoning and waiting 40 minutes only to be treated like crap.

NB tell them by phone or email that you want confirmation that they will not be taking any money out of your account next year.

They do offer cheap cinema ticket - Odeon charge £10 for delivery but you can get info how to book online at cineworld -i paid £11 for 2 2d cinema tickets within London - have not used them yet.
    Nice to save.
  • loopylola
    loopylola Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had one of these cards for a month or 2 I paid £1 for 4 months, as I've only used it once and didn't want to get charged I rang today to cancel it even though it lasts till 31st Aug. I was under the impression from other posts that you would be asked to send the card back with a cancellation code they give you over the phone. However I was just told that it had been cancelled and would not be renewed come 31st Aug, can anyone verify if they have changed their cancellation policy. I'm a little worried perhaps they have done nothing and will still take my money!!
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    loopylola wrote: »
    I have had one of these cards for a month or 2 I paid £1 for 4 months, as I've only used it once and didn't want to get charged I rang today to cancel it even though it lasts till 31st Aug. I was under the impression from other posts that you would be asked to send the card back with a cancellation code they give you over the phone. However I was just told that it had been cancelled and would not be renewed come 31st Aug, can anyone verify if they have changed their cancellation policy. I'm a little worried perhaps they have done nothing and will still take my money!!
    Hi I did this in March as my card was due for renewal at the end of April. No problems at all, I did make a note of the young lady's name and the date and time of day I rang just in case. I used the card alot and certainly 'made' on it. I would have carried on with it but I have been diagnosed gluten intolerant which makes it difficult to find a restaurant I can trust!
  • Wheelerdealer
    Wheelerdealer Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 15 July 2014 at 9:12PM
    Options
    Hi. I would be very wary of this company. They have started renewing memberships early so that when you phone up to cancel at the end of the membership, they have already charged you for renewal and they won't let you cancel. And they won't give you the money back. They renewed me over a week early.

That can't be right. Can it? Even if it says in their t&cs (which they don't make clear to you if you renew over the phone as I did), do you not have a statutory right to decline a service before it has even started?

They email you to tell you but it gets lost or ignored along with the other 5 or 6 emails that they send you every week.

After 5 phone conversations, an email and a posted letter, the best they can do is offer half the money back as a "good will gesture". They con me out of £40 then give me £20 back and expect me to be happy about it!

AVOID

I find also that a lot of the local restaurants don't do weekends. Who wants to go out for a meal on a Tuesday night?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I find also that a lot of the local restaurants don't do weekends. Who wants to go out for a meal on a Tuesday night?

I prefer to go out to eat Monday to Thursday, when hopefully the venue is not too busy, I don't have a GS card but have the Tastecard, I wouldn't pay for either though.
  • landsberger64
    Options
    English Heritage have just sent a (free) 3 month GS card out with their magazine. I will have to check out the Ts and Cs but if they don't have our bank details and we use it, I guess we can't be charged.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    English Heritage have just sent a (free) 3 month GS card out with their magazine. I will have to check out the Ts and Cs but if they don't have our bank details and we use it, I guess we can't be charged.

I've had this offer too, although ours is 2 months free trial.

I have signed up for this, as they didn't ask for our bank details, so I thought it was safe to do.

However, when you sign up there's also an option for 4 months membership plus 25% off cinema tickets, for £1. I avoided that, as it was obviously an attempt to harvest payment details.

I'll be using the card on Saturday lunchtime, as I've found an offer available on a Saturday, located in the town we'll be visiting.

Most other offers exclude Saturdays, which is fine, as we are both off on Wednesdays, so will use it for a couple of weekday lunches.

However, I don't think I'd pay for this card, as I'd feel restricted to a limited amount of restaurants, and you can often find deals and vouchers for midweek meals on the websites of the chain restaurants.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Sayva
    Sayva Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I was curious about this card because it's one of the freebies offered by Lloyds bank.

After looking at the restaurants in my area, I realised that the vast majority were the crappy chain "restaurants" that you find in every town; Beefeater, Cafe Rouge, Prezzo, etc. There are one or two proper restaurants and cafes listed... but you're not allowed to see the details without having a membership number... Catch 22!

I'm guessing with the chain restaurants you just get the same 2 for 1 deals that are given out all over the place for free anyway.

Does anyone have any experience of what the deals are like for independent restaurants? Is it worth it for those or are they restrictive in times/days and/or have low discounts?
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 July 2014 at 2:01PM
    Options
    Sayva wrote: »
    I was curious about this card because it's one of the freebies offered by Lloyds bank.

After looking at the restaurants in my area, I realised that the vast majority were the crappy chain "restaurants" that you find in every town; Beefeater, Cafe Rouge, Prezzo, etc. There are one or two proper restaurants and cafes listed... but you're not allowed to see the details without having a membership number... Catch 22!

I'm guessing with the chain restaurants you just get the same 2 for 1 deals that are given out all over the place for free anyway.

Does anyone have any experience of what the deals are like for independent restaurants? Is it worth it for those or are they restrictive in times/days and/or have low discounts?

I have got it free via lloyds and have found it really good so far. That said it may depend in where you live, as I am in a big city there are a lot of restaurants listed both chain and independents, and hotel restaurants. Have also used it a couple of times visiting London too.

Some restrictions but they vary from Resturant to Resturant, some for example don't allow use at all on Saturdays, but some do before a certain time, some require booking to allow it to be used (though that is recommended by the site. The deals vary between restaurants too ie some 2-4-1s, some are x% off bill (usually for up to 6 for ones i've come across etc.)

They also have a useful ap with the restaurants listed as well as a near me option etc.
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure