MSE News: eBay shoppers to 'click and collect' at Argos stores by Christmas

13»

Replies

  • edited 25 September 2013 at 9:52PM
    jamesdjamesd Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 September 2013 at 9:52PM
    Strapped wrote: »
    But you have only to read the comments above re. how much folks hate collecting from a RM depot.
    I don't want to collect from my local Royal Mail depot either. My local Post Office is much closer and more convenient, as you'd expect with perhaps 12,000 of those, far more than there are Royal Mail depots. The Post Office costs me some walking and the Local Collect fee. The depot costs me about £10-12 a time.

    Even with that it's better than some delivery services, which don't even have a depot in the same city.
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    jamesd wrote: »
    I don't want to collect from my local Royal Mail depot either. My local Post Office is much closer and more convenient, as you'd expect with perhaps 12,000 of those, far more than there are Royal Mail depots. The Post Office costs me some walking and the Local Collect fee. The depot costs me about £10-12 a time.

    Even with that it's better than some delivery services, which don't even have a depot in the same city.
    It wouldn't be too difficult to conceive of a post box that was a collection point too, like the Amazon ones. Obviously they couldn't be everywhere but it would be an ideal solution for remote places and densely populated centres. I can't see Royal Mail thinking along those lines any time soon. If any good designers are about I'll throw the ideas at you and we'll go on Dragons' Den;)
    .
  • mije1983mije1983 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    RFW wrote: »
    I think Argos' parent company GUS has connections to Yodel, so going into Christmas this could get messy.

    GUS doesn't exist anymore. I believe there did used to be a connection to the company in the pre-Yodel days, but that was a good few years ago now.

    Argos and Homebase are now owned by Home Retail Group.
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    mije1983 wrote: »
    GUS doesn't exist anymore. I believe there did used to be a connection to the company in the pre-Yodel days, but that was a good few years ago now.

    Argos and Homebase are now owned by Home Retail Group.
    I thought they were Shop Direct Group now? Can't keep up.
    The new head man at Yodel is a former exec of GUS (or whatever they're called). Not that I know or am that bothered but I suspect the companies are still well connected.
    .
  • mije1983mije1983 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    RFW wrote: »
    I thought they were Shop Direct Group now? Can't keep up.
    The new head man at Yodel is a former exec of GUS (or whatever they're called). Not that I know or am that bothered but I suspect the companies are still well connected.

    Shop Direct Group are the ones who own Yodel. They also own the Woolworths brand now so I suppose are sort of rivals to Argos.
  • edited 26 September 2013 at 1:32PM
    PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 September 2013 at 1:32PM
    The main problem is you don't want to allow some hacker to order something online, and then collect it from somewhere not your address. Let's face it, the squiggle the delivery man gets from me every time could have been made by a cat scratching. This is why you can only get delivery to your home address, because the credit company does not allow delivery anywhere else. Alright, sometimes they allow it, but I feel unsafe when they do.


    TESCO is open 24 hours near me, but the collection desk is only till 10pm, which is good enough. I want my TESCO credit card to have TWO registered addresses:

    1. My home address
    2. My designated TESCO store with Collection facility.

    This means I can shop with ANYBODY that takes credit card payment, not just eBay. I give the delivery address as the registered TESCO store, and that's it. Obviously I should provide my Club Card and Photo-ID when collecting.

    I think the registered address should include my TESCO Club Card number.

    Since I used the TESCO credit card to buy the thing, TESCO is getting a commission for the transaction, they could do this for free.

    Just how I want it to work, not currently available.
  • ballisticbrianballisticbrian Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guys, you are all barmy. It's "click and collect" not "collect your parcel".

    Argos will stock and fullfill the orders for eBays selected retailers.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • PoundPound Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually thought it was a parcel collection thing, like Collect+. So Argos will have to find some space in their stock room to keep products from 50 eBay sellers?
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pound wrote: »
    I actually thought it was a parcel collection thing, like Collect+. So Argos will have to find some space in their stock room to keep products from 50 eBay sellers?

    That's what it sounds like. .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides