MSE News: eBay shoppers to 'click and collect' at Argos stores by Christmas

Replies

• StrappedStrapped Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    RHemmings wrote: »
    Very disappointed to hear that it's only for big sellers. It would be very useful if there was a mediated pickup service for private sales. It would be possible for one of the big courier companies to get together with a company such as Argos and create such a service.

Rely on Argos staff as part of my delivery chain? :eek: NO THANKS. Esp at Christmas. Will be interesting sorting out the "missing" claims anyway.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I may be slightly biased anyway, given that my nearest Argos is >20 miles away.

I think the PO have really missed a trick here. Surely THEY should be ideally placed to take advantage of people needing this type of service but they just don't open the right hours or staff appropriately.
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very disappointed to hear that it's only for big sellers. It would be very useful if there was a mediated pickup service for private sales. It would be possible for one of the big courier companies to get together with a company such as Argos and create such a service.
    I think Argos' parent company GUS has connections to Yodel, so going into Christmas this could get messy.
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strapped wrote: »
    I may be slightly biased anyway, given that my nearest Argos is >20 miles away.

I think the PO have really missed a trick here. Surely THEY should be ideally placed to take advantage of people needing this type of service but they just don't open the right hours or staff appropriately.
    That would involve some forward thinking, which for the Post Office should get them to about 1975.
    I'm sure there will be some interesting initiatives over the next few years, I'd be surprised if this ends up being much more than a gimmick that gets a lot of publicity.
  • jamesdjamesd Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strapped wrote: »
    The Post Office has done so for years, in conjunction with Royal Mail. They offer the Local Collect service which lets you pay a fee to collect things from your designated Post Office. Senders can also send directly there if they pay a fee to do that, which they could charge you for.

The Post Office is also introducing Click and Collect for use by online retailers.

This is one of the reasons why Royal Mail is my preferred delivery service. It doesn't require me to be up all night to receive a delivery that could be at any time during my night, normal business hours.
  • Brooker_DaveBrooker_Dave Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

What we need is somewhere you can drop parcels off, and for a fee they'll deliver them to the customers....
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • Brooker_DaveBrooker_Dave Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's in this for argos?

It's not like drawing the great unwashed in to collect their junk will lead to sales given argos does not display much.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's in this for argos?
    There will no doubt be a message when someone is due to collect an item, offering them a link to Argos or their Ebay store seeing if they'll want to collect something else.

Given Ebay run Argos' wholesale auctions and their large Ebay presence I'm sure they'll be able to work something out.

That said I would have thought the last thing Argos need in the couple of weeks before Christmas is Ebay punters complaining about something that Argos haven't even sold them.
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    jamesd wrote: »
    The Post Office has done so for years, in conjunction with Royal Mail. They offer the Local Collect service which lets you pay a fee to collect things from your designated Post Office. Senders can also send directly there if they pay a fee to do that, which they could charge you for.

The Post Office is also introducing Click and Collect for use by online retailers.

This is one of the reasons why Royal Mail is my preferred delivery service. It doesn't require me to be up all night to receive a delivery that could be at any time during my night, normal business hours.

But you have only to read the comments above re. how much folks hate collecting from a RM depot.
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    RFW wrote: »
    There will no doubt be a message when someone is due to collect an item, offering them a link to Argos or their Ebay store seeing if they'll want to collect something else.

Given Ebay run Argos' wholesale auctions and their large Ebay presence I'm sure they'll be able to work something out.

That said I would have thought the last thing Argos need in the couple of weeks before Christmas is Ebay punters complaining about something that Argos haven't even sold them.

Bloody convenient for scammers buying broken second hand Argos stuff to return to store though ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides