MSE News: eBay shoppers to 'click and collect' at Argos stores by Christmas

Options
"Online auction site eBay is teaming up with Argos to trial a 'click and collect' scheme..."
Read the full story:

eBay shoppers to 'click and collect' at Argos stores by Christmas

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't get it...

eBay was once about disintermediation - cutting out the middle men, with real people selling to real people.

Then they make it unpalatable for real people to sell on it due to the protection given to dodgy buyers (they haven't paid? ok, give it a couple of weeks and you'll get your fees back, ignoring the fact that your videogame has also gone down in value by a fiver in the meantime).

They they make it unpalatable for real people to buy on it due to protection given to dodgy sellers (you didn't get your item? ok, we'll try and get you your money back, but if they've emptied their Paypal account, then tough).

Then they make it even more unpalatable for real people to sell on it due to ridiculous fees (3% for Paypal that would make b*****d banks blush, and now even charging fees on legitimate postage costs!).

And now they make it very clear that it's really all about just being a marketplace for big business, by offering eBay as a 'store' from which you can use Collect+.

I'll happily still buy stuff off eBay from a big business seller, as I'm not one to cut off my nose to spite my face, but I would never sell on there again.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    VT82 wrote: »

And now they make it very clear that it's really all about just being a marketplace for big business, by offering eBay as a 'store' from which you can use Collect+.

I'll happily still buy stuff off eBay from a big business seller, as I'm not one to cut off my nose to spite my face, but I would never sell on there again.
    The big businesses are self regulating the little sellers have to be monitored, so not only do big businesses bring in more revenue they cost them less to manage. If you're running Ebay and want to keep growing it's a no brainer as to how you go about it.

There are plenty of sites with people selling any old tat and no comebacks for dodgy sellers.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VT82 wrote: »
    I

They they make it unpalatable for real people to buy on it due to protection given to dodgy sellers (you didn't get your item? ok, we'll try and get you your money back, but if they've emptied their Paypal account, then tough).

You are about 6 years out of date, buyer protection is absolute, it doesn't matter whether seller has funds in their acount or not.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Now, how much do I have to pay Argos to deliver it to me near a time of my choosing? Fast food places can manage it, why can't Argos and many other delivery services?
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    Now, how much do I have to pay Argos to deliver it to me near a time of my choosing? Fast food places can manage it, why can't Argos and many other delivery services?

I don't know what causes it. But the delivery services clearly have incredible trouble managing it. I personally think that some sort of delivery to a place where it can be collected, e.g. Argos, is the best option for me. Wait until an online system says it's ready to be collected, then pop down to collect it. So much better than waiting at home wondering if the delivery company will claim it's been delivered when it hasn't, or seeing the computer system says that delivery was attempted and a card was left when you know damn well that it wasn't.
  • pikachu_bumface
    Options
    I guess it's to compete with Amazon, with the Amazon lockers in local shops (there's one in our Co-op), same with the 1-hour London deliveries.

I think it sounds good for Christmas - hopefully it will cut down on the lines at the Post Office depot. Good to have the option if needed, if I worked in a city centre it would be ace.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Prefer Collect+, because it's a grocer that opens till 11pm, and it's on the way back from the tube station.

Not everyone has cars, and both my nearest Argos stores are on A roads.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very disappointed to hear that it's only for big sellers. It would be very useful if there was a mediated pickup service for private sales. It would be possible for one of the big courier companies to get together with a company such as Argos and create such a service.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    Very disappointed to hear that it's only for big sellers. It would be very useful if there was a mediated pickup service for private sales. It would be possible for one of the big courier companies to get together with a company such as Argos and create such a service.

As it's only a trial, I imagine it's easier to start with just a select few large sellers. No doubt if this is successful for both eBay and Argos they will look into expanding it to more sellers.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    It would be very useful if there was a mediated pickup service for private sales.

Not mediated as such, but http://www.postoffice.co.uk/poste-restante
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport