Sewing-what have you made this week?

Options

Comments

• poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    if you cant ask santa who can you ask??:D
    If Santa is debt free by Christmas maybe I could ask :D
    -taff wrote: »
    I really need to learn how to sew a proper buttonhole....
    Do you want to sew one on a machine or by hand? I can help with both.
    -taff wrote: »
    They go quite cheaply on ebay, the old singer ones are about 70 80 pounds, the 14u ones, are very good.

I will have a look tonight when I have finished my cushion cover.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • poohbear59
    edited 19 September 2013 at 8:07PM
    Options
    pooky Why not aim to get one of the smaller/easier things finished by the end of the weekend? And enjoy your hand sewing in between times in the evenings. :) First cushion finished:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
  • wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all. Had the grandchildren this week so no sewing done but they go home to tonight so may have a mess tomorrow
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
  • poohbear59
    Options
    wilf w e have DGD today so know how it is. No sewing today. Maybe this evening.

I did start quilting the second cushion last night..
  • I got myself the Burda b7627 pajama pattern yesterday and I want to try doing them in a satiny fabric lined with some jersey so they are pretty but warm for the winter. Do you think that will work?

I also splashed on some gorgeous Aunt Pollys Flannel Pinstripe in Olive and Golden Brown fabric for DPs Christmas present which will be some Don Draper style pajamas.
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    Do you want to sew one on a machine or by hand? I can help with both.

I could definitely do with learning how to actually sew a buttonhole using my sewing machine - finally going to start using it and give it the attention and use it deserves! Lot of projects in mind and I start a sewing class on Monday :D
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 20 September 2013 at 11:51AM
    Options
    pooky I don't make clothes either, at least not so far but DH recently blew a whole £1 on a dressmaker dummy at a boot fair so think I might have a go at a simple top maybe.

Just about to set off on a final week away for the year in our campervan, while I am gone I want to try and finish a Lizzie Kate cross stitch called December (it has only taken me 9 years to do January to November :rotfl: ) my plan is to make a patchwork throw using the 12 pieces of cross stitch interspersed with other fabrics and then do some hand quilting on the fabric squares....if that makes sense?

So far this week I have already made a foldup bag as a Christmas gift. I can't make up my mind whether to add a strap to keep it rolled up when not in use or to make it it's own small pouch
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I trained as a teacher in the 70s and have since retired. My main course was "Dress" which was sewing really, both clothes and crafts. We had to make little minatures of everything we made, e.g. making quarter sized garments. We were not allowed to just follow a pattern but had to make our own instead. If we did want to follow a pattern, we had to develop it and add individual touches. To be honest, much of it put me off although I passed my exams. Sewing was being phased out in schools at that time so I ended up teaching other subjects instead. I made a few bits for my children when they were little but, these days, I just like making simple crafts, hearts etc. My figure is a lot different to how it was in the 70s and I prefer to just buy my clothes ready made as it is a lot of effort to make them and I can't be bothered.

I would like to learn how to do felting though.
  • poohbear59
    Options
    whitesatin I trained in 70s too. I was totally put off patterning drafting at college and have never done any since but I still love sewing and other textile crafts.

I too ended up teaching other subjects but managed to keep some Textiles teaching. I chose schools who still taught textiles and was lucky to be teaching it to GCSE up until retirement. Often I was recruited as Textiles then it mysteriously disappeared from the curriculum over the years so after fighting and failing I moved on...

Felting is often offered at adult education classes. I learnt the basics many years ago at a festival. I have to admit it didn't really appeal to me so I didn't ever try again.

I love making rag rugs in the Winter as they are easy to do on Winter afternoons in front of the fire.
  • poohbear59
    Options
    taff and lushlifesaver does your sewing machine come with a plastic guide to help you make buttonholes? Some do and it makes it easier to keep them nice and straight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure