Sewing-what have you made this week?

poohbear59
poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
edited 18 September 2013 at 2:58PM in Crafting
I have loooked for a similar thread but can't find one. Please forgive me if I have missed one already in existance.

My greatest pleasure as an OS MS is sewing, I knit, rag rug and cook too but sewing is my favourite past time. I was retired from teaching on health grounds in 2006 and since then have only actually made two items, 2 peg bags. I feel I need encouragement to start sewing again and more especially to finish items I started years and years ago.

I would love MSErs to encourage each other to complete items tucked away in cupboards and long forgotten. And of course to encourage me too. Not sure where this thread should go but I am sure a board guide will be able to help...

My cupboards are bursting with fabric which really should be made into something. I am thinking of making fabric presents for Christmas so any ideas for items to sew for Christmas would be good too. Then maybe we can encourage each other to make presents.

I have mobility problems so can only make for very short times before I have to rest/change to something else which is why knitting is easier (I can pick up and put down easily). Sewing will mean getting someone else to get my machine out for me then having to put away so the table can be used for dinner. Then the sewing is forgotten.....

I will stop waffling and see if anyone else would like to join me.
business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
'I had a black dog, his name was depression".

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    cushions for a friend, and then some more cushions after that.
    And some antimacassars....I know, old-fashioned, but the sofa and chairs need them...not for me either.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • poohbear59
    -taff
    Have you made them all this week? Or are you working on them?
    I have a 101 dalmations cushion I was making for DN in 2006. She is married with a baby now so I think he might like the cushion. I am going to try to have it finished by Sunday evening.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
  • poohbear59
    I am happy to help anyone who needs help or encouragement with sewing. Check out your cupboards and see what you have unfinished or not even started. It must be MS to use or reuse what you already have in your house.

My plan is to make some more peg bags and some bags too.
  • couple of threads on the crafting board might be of interest?:D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4676213

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2169321

i have been making a cushion for my bed
    i love making cushions
    and i have decided to make a valance to match:eek:
    its a water bed so i cant buy one that fits
    and i embroidered pillowcases to match the cushion

well sort of match
    they co ordinate:D
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I have made two cushions today, and done a mock up of a chair arm cover. The other cushions will be made tomorrow. I will also be making a bag, and other stuff this week :)
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • poohbear59
    couple of threads on the crafting board might be of interest?:D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4676213

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2169321

i have been making a cushion for my bed
    i love making cushions
    and i have decided to make a valance to match:eek:
    its a water bed so i cant buy one that fits
    and i embroidered pillowcases to match the cushion

well sort of match
    they co ordinate:D

OOh some lovely ideas in your links. I think I am going to be inspired.

We have a superking and a valance to fit is either difficult to find or costs an arm and leg so I should have a go at making one.
  • wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Hello everyone.

The last time I sewed I was at school and half made a pencil skirt which is probably lurking in the loft at my parents house somewhere I have started to make on a machine that I was gifted a year ago a patchwork quilt for my granddaughter for Christmas. I have cut some ditsy print cotton into squares so far and have joined 5 together.

I would also love Christmas ideas as I want to make savings this year in gifts but am A total beginner although I was surprised how some of the techniques from schooldays came back to me.
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
  • piecemeal
    piecemeal Posts: 86 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2013 at 8:40PM
    I am part way through sizing down a skirt that I bought in a charity shop for £2.50; it was brand new with the tags still on. I love it so much I am willing to remake it. Because it has a deep waistband, it really sits on the hips, and a zip in the side seam, I completely unpicked it and so far have resized the waistband, joined the waistband on the non-zip side, joined the front and back pieces on one side (taking a bit off the width) and sewn the skirt to the band. The next job is to resize the other side seam, put in the zip (the skirt is bias cut and in 3 diagonal sections on both front and back, so I think I should staystitch where the zip goes) and then re-attach the waistband facing. Then I might redo the hem as I took it down at the side seams, but the original hem is all puckered. Phew, I'll just go and have a lie down, just typing that makes me feel worn out! Mrs Watson, your sewing classes DID stick in my head, after all!:T
  • I have re-discovered sewing after a long break, dusted down my overlocker and re-learnt how to thread and use it, scary beast that it is. I gave my sewing machine to dd and have set her on a sewing path, which I am very very pleased about and spent my savings on a lovely bernina. This week I finished a (sewing workshop) jacket for me and last week made a skirt and two tops. Ok, sounds a lot but I have been spending a lot of time re-sizing patterns to fit my own shape. Takes a lot of doing with full bust adjustment, shortening, increasing across tum etc. The nearest and best patterns for fit for me are petite plus but they come from over the atlantic. I also discovered style arc and sewing workshop, alas all from far away and jalie from habithat.

My study turned into a spinning crafting room several months ago and now has also to accommodate my quickly growing fabric stash. Tbh I can`t move in there as it also contains the shtf storecupboard foodstuffs, which I am working on reducing as quickly as possible

I just finished for the night now after tackling an ottobre pattern, for a parka, which I am making in gabardine lined with a black and patterned poplin. I have completely forgotten how to do slanting single welt pockets so have spent hours practicing on spare fabric. The pockets are sewn now and slashed but I need to be fresh and awake to press and top stitch tomorrow

If you haven`t discovered craftsy classes then I have to say that they are wonderful. Many of them include a sewing pattern and are often on sale prices. I have learnt so much new modern techniques from them as I learnt old school sewing

There are some ace sewing forums on the net by the way
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I just started sewing classes last week, as although I could muddle through I had never been taught properly. This week has seen me practising the different stitches, and Saturdays class is replacing zips and doing buttonholes, we will make a zipped purse in the class which will be ideal for various things. In the past three weeks I have made two aprons and a jelly roll quilt. Next simple project on my own is a few wheat bags, but I keep forgetting to get the wheat. Happy sewing!
    Every days a School day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport