Sewing-what have you made this week?

Comments

• poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I have finished the hand quilting tonight on the dalmation cushion cover. I already have the back made so I will press in the morning and stitch together.

I have a link for the craftsy classes kitty mentioned http://www.craftsy.com/classes
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • suzybloo wrote: »
    Next simple project on my own is a few wheat bags, but I keep forgetting to get the wheat. Happy sewing!

Happy sewing too,

Where are you going to buy the wheat from please?

I made one with rice but it is not brilliant. I love sewing too and I am slowly learning to crochet.

I can't knit yet, going to a class next month to make a knitted bow.
  • Currently making sewing sets for my god-daughters (10 and 8) who have just started sewing. So their Christmas presents are a needle book, biscornu pin cushion, thimble holder and covered tape measure - all in a draw string bag.

Made a raggy quilt in the summer and definitely got the sewing bug.

Lots of half finished projects too!!

AA
  • suzybloo wrote: »
    I just started sewing classes last week, as although I could muddle through I had never been taught properly. This week has seen me practising the different stitches, and Saturdays class is replacing zips and doing buttonholes, we will make a zipped purse in the class which will be ideal for various things. In the past three weeks I have made two aprons and a jelly roll quilt. Next simple project on my own is a few wheat bags, but I keep forgetting to get the wheat. Happy sewing!

I found this company who sell wheat for wheat bags www.browfarm.co.uk

Zipped purses are a really good start. When I taught I started my youngsters on zipped purse/pencil cases. DS1 still uses his and I taught him to make it 16 years ago.

Good luck on your next project and happy sewing too :)

AA sewing kits are a brilliant idea especially for youngsters.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
  • oh we all have UFOs:rotfl:
    (un finished objects)

i can make quilts and cushions and all sorts of bags
    but i do envy those who can make clothes **sighs wistfully**

i like upcycling clothes
    but i am more wing and a prayer type
    which doesnt bode well for clothes making:D
  • piecemeal you are quite adventurous but I bet you will be really proud of your skirt when it is finished and it fits :) I agree with stay stitching the fabric before you put the zip in as it would stretch without stay stitching.

midnightraven
    UFOs :D I like it..

kitty I asked for an overlocker on freegle today but have had no replies. I have been having overlocker envy.. It is too big an ask for Christmas.
  • if you cant ask santa who can you ask??:D
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,352
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I really need to learn how to sew a proper buttonhole....
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm currently working on a quilt, the patchwork top went beautifully, the first go at backing and quilting ended in disaster so I carefully unpicked and restarted. I'm not 100% happy with it but will bind it this weekend and shove it on the back of the sofa.

I've got 2 patchwork cushion covers on the go (doing with the machine) and I have a hand sewn hexi quilt on the go too. I hand sew in the evenings whilst watching tv so it doesn't grow very quickly.

I've got lots of projects I need to get finished for Christmas (by finished, I mean started and finished!)

I don't do clothes, not in a "buy a pattern and make it up" kind of way. I'll happily alter things if its a fairly simple job and I do make trousers/shorts (just elasticacted or drawstring I did make a long tailed shirt when I was 16, from one of those monthly pattern magazines. It turned out lovely but I'm far to slap dash with my sewing now and hate following a pattern and using pins :)
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,352
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    poohbear59 wrote: »
    I asked for an overlocker on freegle today but have had no replies. I have been having overlocker envy.. It is too big an ask for Christmas.

They go quite cheaply on ebay, the old singer ones are about 70 80 pounds, the 14u ones, are very good.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure