The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    maman said:
    18 daffodils in a bunch for 95p in Aldi today!! So twice the number of flowers compared to Tesco and for less money. I've heard of shrinking violets but Tesco have taken it to a whole new level. 🤣
    I shall enjoy them vicariously nonetheless, I can't afford to waste a single penny on anything atm.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • mufi
    mufi Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    16 in both of my bunches of daffodils today from Tesco - up from 9 a couple of weeks ago. Either someone can't count or they increase the quantity as they get further into the season.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mufi said:
    16 in both of my bunches of daffodils today from Tesco - up from 9 a couple of weeks ago. Either someone can't count or they increase the quantity as they get further into the season.
    I'm thinking you're probably right about it being later in the season. But (maybe because I'm Welsh 😉) I've been buying many bunches of daffodils for years and never noticed it before. 🤔 And I've definitely never had as few as 9 in a bunch ever. 😁 ❤️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are getting more in a bunch for you money because the daffodil grower's are stuffed with million's of daffodils.
    Most of the flower shops are still shut & the daffys don't know this.
    😁😁
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I got a bunch of 18 but they didn't open for 6 days in a warm room! then they died withing 2 days.

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have noticed that often the buds often seem to be slightly brown even before they burst.  Probably not worth buying when they're like this because they rarely open fully before dying. 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Primrose said:
    Have noticed that often the buds often seem to be slightly brown even before they burst.  Probably not worth buying when they're like this because they rarely open fully before dying. 

I've bought 3 bunches this year so far - all from Aldi - and all have come out fully.
    And there have been a variety of flowers in the first 2 bunches, one a really lovely very pale lemon. The last bunch are all the same standard daffs though.
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    On a side note, my work (essential retailer) we are selling fewer cut flowers and potted indoor plants. As due to unable to visit others - some people like to give flowers or a plant thanking them for hospitality or to cheer them up when unwell, recovering from surgery etc.

My friend who works at a supermarket where company policy doesn’t reduce flowers, usually drops me off a bunch on the way home. She gives me flowers which the display until date has gone by a day or two. 
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Border Biscuits dark chocolate & ginger - now 9 in a pack.  Were there always 9 (box seems much smaller than the last time I bought them)?
  • GS..
    GS.. Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Welcome to the 1/2 size Pukka Pie 
    I notice Pukka Pies used to be about 225 - 240 grams and were occasionally on offer for £1. I now notice that Pukka have jumped on to the shrinkflation rip off and created a half size pie to sell for £1 and excluded displaying the weight altogether. I'm not sure they would get away selling half-size pies to the chippy
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback