ASDA Mobile Ditches Vodafone for EE

Options

Comments

• simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    That is a historic T-mobile code (Orange being 33)

3 didn't have to replace the sims when they removed O2 as their 2G network; they just sent a sim update via sms.

Some Three customers were sent new sims. Like I say, not all were.

894430 is the start of the sim card number, which belongs to T-Mobile (as Asda will run on T-Mobiles systems undoubtedly, the same as Virgin). 894412 is Orange.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • If anyone has not seen the Asda Mobile website yet. The change from Vodafone to EE does involve changing sim cards after all and they are throwing in a price reduction to clinch the deal.
    8p a minute and 4p a text is the new price when the system is up and running very shortly.
    See the Asda Mobile website for all the latest news.
  • Solarjunkie
    Options
    I have just found out that my Asda credit cannot be moved to the new ee . I use my phone so little I have about 2 years credit on it.:(
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm not all that impressed either - I wish they'd just leave things alone.

I spend about £25 a year on my ASDA paygo and I live out in the wild fenlands of Cambridgeshire where Vodaphone works, O2 is a bit random and 3G is absolute rubbish.

Looks like Sainsburys will be getting my business when I've used up by £23 credit with ASDA
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • jrawle
    jrawle Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2013 at 12:02PM
    Options
    I'm angry about losing credit. I only have the ASDA phone as a spare (to sign up for websites that require a mobile number to avoid SMS spam on my primary phone, etc.) and have around £20 remaining (although admittedly this is largely free credit I got initially). I send a text every three months to keep the accont active.

However, I have read the T&Cs and found they have covered themselves:

http://www.asdamobile.com/media/ASDA_mobile_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf
    5. Variations
    5.1 Any changes to the Price Plan will be published and are available by calling the ASDA Mobile Helpline. Material changes in the Price Plan or Services will be published on not less than 30 days‟ notice, other changes on reasonable notice. If we believe any change in the Price Plan or Services will not disadvantage a customer, it may be included automatically.
    5.2 Subject to clause 5.1 above, we may change or withdraw the Services (or part thereof) at any time, with or without notice. Where possible we will give reasonable notice of these changes or withdrawal of Services. You will be able to use any credit that you have accumulated, up until the time of withdrawal of the Services. We may make changes to these terms and conditions and the Price Plan from time to time and/or introduce new terms and conditions or Price Plan from time to time if there are changes to the law or to Vodafone‟s telecommunications licence. The changes will be effective upon publication by us in a way which we consider is reasonable.

So they only have to give you the opportunity to use up credit, not to receive a refund.

I'll be looking for a new PAYG provider for my backup phone. I won't bother to top up my new ASDA SIM.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jrawle wrote: »
    So they only have to give you the opportunity to use up credit, not to receive a refund.
    Probably not worth pursuing in practice. But in principle, ASDA should refund unused and unusable credit. Their terms don't explicitly say they won't. And even if they did, you could argue that such a term is void under the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations. ASDA might cave in if you say you'll go to whichever Dispute Resolution ('Ombudsman') service they're a member of.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The change from Vodafone to EE does involve changing sim cards after all.
    This looks like a huge, expensive, lengthy, and messy operation. Existing customers will have to ask for a new SIM, and faff about getting their existing phone unlocked from (the ASDA flavour of) Vodafone. If they want to try the ASDA flavour of EE. Or they could decide to switch to the (currently) much cheaper Three.
  • frank_potter
    Options
    YoungNick wrote: »
    Probably not worth pursuing in practice. But in principle, ASDA should refund unused and unusable credit. Their terms don't explicitly say they won't. And even if they did, you could argue that such a term is void under the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations. ASDA might cave in if you say you'll go to whichever Dispute Resolution ('Ombudsman') service they're a member of.

Might well be worth pursuing for some people - the Ombudsman route is far less risky than court for anyone wishing to take ASDA Mobile to task.

The "Ombudsman" service for ASDA Mobile is Otelo

Details of the ASDA Mobile complaints procedure can be found here:

http://www.asdamobile.com/media/ASDA_mobile_code_of_practice_v1.pdf

Surely it cannot be right for them to arrogantly confiscate unused credit from customers in the way they appear to be suggesting. :mad:
  • Stephen7372
    Options
    You can use the credit to donate to charity
    Stephen
  • oldandgrumpy
    Options
    I topped up asda phone £20 in September. Enough for 1 year. Told in October that asda going to ee. NO REFUND of outstanding credit when switching to ee or any other server. Is it legal for asda to refuse to repay outstanding credit bought in good faith?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure