We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Do you get more meat from one large chicken or two small chickens?

Options

Comments

• Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    Over the years I have half-heartedly thought about this puzzle.
    Normally I buy smaller chickens if they are on special offer, cook 1 & freeze the others for use later. I know that if I purchased a larger one, more would be used up, so even if the larger one was cheaper (sorry), it would be a false economy.
    I also think that the smaller ones taste better. :)

Regards,

Nosht.;)
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not just use the scales in the fruit/veg dept?

To avoid contaminating the fruit and veg with campylobacter and other dangerous bacteria, perhaps? ;)
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    To avoid contaminating the fruit and veg with campylobacter and other dangerous bacteria, perhaps? ;)

So, do they disinfect all shopping baskets and trolleys between each use? Presumably everybody's shopping is also similarly contaminated when they place a chicken in their basket?
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    So, do they disinfect all shopping baskets and trolleys between each use? Presumably everybody's shopping is also similarly contaminated when they place a chicken in their basket?

A fair point! Likewise the conveyors at the tills. God - something else to worry about! :cool:
  • gnvqsos
    gnvqsos Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    A fair point! Likewise the conveyors at the tills. God - something else to worry about! :cool:
    I once lost a coin which ran down the tills.They removed the belt to reveal a real spread of items,mouse droppings and a signed photo of Lord Lucan.
  • norabatty_2
    Options
    Hello all,

Delighted (and slightly bemused!) that this made its way to the weekly email. Told DH about it and he managed a one-word response: SAD! :rotfl:

To make the most of my chicken, I always strip the chicken and put the chicken into 50g, 100g or 200g portions so I don't end up wasting any. 50g is my typical portion for a sandwich, 100g for a dinner for 2 people (e.g. in a curry) or 200g for a dinner for 4 people. I never use it as a roast as from past experience, between me, DH and LO, we would be lucky to get one roast dinner and one round of sandwiches from a small chicken. Therefore, immediately striping the chicken works well for me as it lasts much longer.

I tried to cook the second chicken during the week, one day before its use by date and it was stinking. Returned the label to Mr S, not only did they give me a new chicken, but they gave me £6 too! So my first chicken ended up costing me £4 and my second one cost me nothing! Truly moneysaving! :money:

On further inspection of the label, it says "Minimum weight 2kg". For those who were asking if I got more of a certain type of meat, e.g. chicken breast, from the smaller or bigger chicken, I didn't separate them so couldn't say for sure but it looked to me like all increases in size were proportional, so I didn't get a more-than-proportional amount of one type of meat from the bigger chicken.
    Overpay Mortgage by £9,100 in 2013 - £9,316.16/£9,100
    Overpay Mortgage by £19,000 in 2014 - £438.72/£19,000

GC 2014 Feb £120.83/£180 :j Mar £25.47/£140
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Thanks for doing the research :) I only raised this question with DH this morning and then saw your post tonight, so it's saved me trying to figure it out.

Much appreciated

Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • welshee
    welshee Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Asda have started doing a small chicken for £2 and it was ample for 3 people...i also spatchcocked one and rubbed indian spices into it and we ate it for a tasty snack at night.
    A bargain at £2

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/910000921321
  • honeythewitch
    Options
    tain wrote: »
    You wouldn't get more breast meat from smaller chickens - it'll be the exact same % of meat from the overall weight.

Plus leg and thigh meat has far more flavour and quality.

I think individual chickens have different sized legs and breasts, so I line them all up as if they are in a beauty competition and buy the one with the biggest breasts.
  • andy111
    andy111 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think individual chickens have different sized legs and breasts, so I line them all up as if they are in a beauty competition and buy the one with the biggest breasts.

Some might say that's the best way to choose a wife as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport