We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Do you get more meat from one large chicken or two small chickens?

Options
12346»

Comments

• jm2926
    jm2926 Posts: 901 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a free range chicken from Lidl today and poached it in the pressure cooker.

Results:

Raw weight 1430g
    Cooked stripped chicken 600g

Stock cooling for skimming before making soup. Quite a bit of chicken in there from the scraps as well

Similar results percentage-wise which is interesting. I wasn't sure if the differing bone densities and meat composition from free range would make a difference as I've seen people say a free range bird goes further.
  • geordie_joe
    Options
    jm2926 wrote: »
    I wasn't sure if the differing bone densities and meat composition from free range would make a difference as I've seen people say a free range bird goes further.

It would when compared to a frozen chicken, of the same weight, that has water added.

It won't when compared to any other fresh chicken that has not had anything added.
  • gnvqsos
    gnvqsos Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    It would when compared to a frozen chicken, of the same weight, that has water added.

It won't when compared to any other fresh chicken that has not had anything added.

Free rangers have less fat,and go further as less is wasted.They also have smaller breasts and stronger legs.They smell less rank as they are usually processed more hijenikly.
  • gnvqsos
    Options
    andy111 wrote: »
    Some might say that's the best way to choose a wife as well.
    Did you get first or last pick?You sound like Foghorn Leghorn,bwoy!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    A fair point! Likewise the conveyors at the tills. God - something else to worry about! :cool:
    I never put anything down on a wet bit.
  • gnvqsos
    Options
    I distinctly remember being in the chicken section at Fine Fare with my parents in the mid-60s and dad was going through every chicken to find one that weighed 2lb 15oz. So I know that's the size we used to have for a Sunday roast for 4-5 of us.
    My mum used to a slightly bigger one weighing 2lb 17 oz,but rarely found one that size.I thick the manager had picked out the best 'uns.
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    good joke !
  • gnvqsos
    Options
    I would think the turkey sized chicken would be tougher (or better flavoured?) because it has been flapping about longer.

Think I will continue to buy on weight, with the outlook that it might have been filled with water.
    [Is that fiddle still legal? - I remember getting a lump of slush out of a thawing chicken that would have made a handy snowball for a school playground]

A more active bird will be more flavoursome with stronger legs and a smaller breast-more Jessica Ennis, less Jordan(KP).
  • geordie_joe
    Options
    gnvqsos wrote: »
    Free rangers have less fat,and go further as less is wasted.

Most free rangers are kept in shed and never move very far making them no different to any others.
    They also have smaller breasts and stronger legs.

No they don't
    They smell less rank

Which means they still smell rank!
    as they are usually processed more hijenikly.

Oh dear!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family