We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Do you get more meat from one large chicken or two small chickens?

Options

Comments

• aintreemaid
    Options
    Interested to read that the weight of Mr S's chickens can vary so much - anyone thought of taking a small scale (such as those sold for luggage or fishing) to the store to make sure you get the heaviest ones? :o
  • My first post!
    I do have a bit of a life (nomading) so I don't think I'm really sad but this notion sure is food for thought and quite intriguing!
    Perhaps there will be more bones from two small chickens but I joint my chickens into 4 before cooking so I know I would then get 4 portions from EACH chicken...and would we really notice (or need) the larger portion....fill up the plate with more veg?
    Just my take on it!
    Whatever,......still cook both chickens at once and the extra meals freeze or plate up & store in the fridge ...you only have to spend time cooking once and batch cooking is more economical fuel wise?
  • johnmc
    johnmc Posts: 1,265 Forumite
    Options
    Very valid research. OP has stripped edible meat from the carcase for sandwiches.

That's not how we use a chicken. Once cooked we portion with the wings and legs as seperate meals. We then portion the breast meat.

So in practise we would get more meals with the smaller birds than the larger ones, thus less cost per meal (albeit smaller portions).
  • Interested to read that the weight of Mr S's chickens can vary so much - anyone thought of taking a small scale (such as those sold for luggage or fishing) to the store to make sure you get the heaviest ones? :o
    well it's a thought but those scales are even less accurate than the manufacturers would be. there is a degree of tolerance in everything made, so long as the supplier is not selling anything "underweight" or under what is labeled there not doing anything wrong - then that's a bonus for the consumer...it's upto the supplier to make sure they are not giving too much away.. if your in a big supermarket you could take it to one of there "calibrated" scales and ask to use that...if you were really scrimping
    When a jar contains rocks, pebbles and sand is it truly full? What about beer?
  • Emily_Rachel
    Options
    My first post!
    I do have a bit of a life (nomading) so I don't think I'm really sad but this notion sure is food for thought and quite intriguing!
    Perhaps there will be more bones from two small chickens but I joint my chickens into 4 before cooking so I know I would then get 4 portions from EACH chicken...and would we really notice (or need) the larger portion....fill up the plate with more veg?
    Just my take on it!
    Whatever,......still cook both chickens at once and the extra meals freeze or plate up & store in the fridge ...you only have to spend time cooking once and batch cooking is more economical fuel wise?
    I quite agree. You get more portions per penny from smaller chickens. I often buy the packs of whole legs from Aldi/Lidl and always look for the ones with 5 or 6 smaller legs rather than 3 or 4 large ones. Same weight and price, but I split the portions into thighs and legs, and a piece of chicken is a piece of chicken. We get more (smaller, but fine) portions for the same price this way. I bone the thighs and casserole the legs as I find drumstick meat a little boring, and find this adds more flavour. Thighs are really good fried, and each thigh can make 2 or even 3 pieces of home-made 'southern-fried chicken', and 3 or 4 pieces is certainly enough for one adult portion with salad and potato wedges. When I make fried chicken I make a lot at once, but only fry it until crisp, ie not fully cooked. I then either bake it for a further 15 minutes to finish cooking, or if cooking to freeze, cool it quickly and freeze, and cook from frozen for about 25 minutes in a hot oven for a quick meal. Amazing how much fat comes out if you finish cooking in the oven instead of serving it straight from the fryer!
    I am not young enough to know everything.
  • geordie_joe
    Options
    well it's a thought but those scales are even less accurate than the manufacturers would be.

They wouldn't need to be accurate as you are just looking for the heaviest one.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interested to read that the weight of Mr S's chickens can vary so much - anyone thought of taking a small scale (such as those sold for luggage or fishing) to the store to make sure you get the heaviest ones? :o

Why not just use the scales in the fruit/veg dept?
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • jm2926
    jm2926 Posts: 901 Forumite
    Options

I just pick up one in each hand to compare then swap the lightest one a couple of times for a new sample. Lidl steak varies hugely in weight. Obviously a visual check to ensure its not just extra fat is good.
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    I would think the turkey sized chicken would be tougher (or better flavoured?) because it has been flapping about longer.

Think I will continue to buy on weight, with the outlook that it might have been filled with water.
    [Is that fiddle still legal? - I remember getting a lump of slush out of a thawing chicken that would have made a handy snowball for a school playground]
  • SoWhatIsNext
    Options
    Why not just use the scales in the fruit/veg dept?

Hygiene...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport