Turning right: do you indicate left or right at this junction?

Options
This is a junction i use a few times a week. When I approach it I, like 90% of road users indicate right. 5 % don't bother and the other 5% indicate left to turn right.

The dark Astra is where most people position their car. Obviosuly van drivers have to be square on.

http://goo.gl/maps/8eL8b

One day last week, I was behind someone who was indicating left and had their car positioned so that it was at a "full on T" - eg if the white Golf was facing the blue Corsa from the link. Suggesting they were actually going to turn left.. WRONG!

As I pulled out onto the main road, they came next to me screaming and shouting.

Comments

• Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2013 at 10:14AM
    Options
    TBH I might not signal if I was turning right out of that junction because my road positioning would make it clear I wasn't going left.

However, signaling left at a junction and turning right is clearly wrong. I presume they are viewing it as some sort of 'wrong side' slip road.

I lived in Warrington for 17 years and I must have used that junction a few times. I don't recall how I signalled at it though.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • mvteng
    mvteng Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Like you, I would indicate right & be positioned like the dark astra.

I can sort of understand why someone would indicate left (although turning right).

I guess just "be aware" at this junction would be the best advice
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    Indicating left I would assume they were turning left or perhaps entering one of the driveways opposite, I wouldn't think they were turning right.

I would always indicate right if turning right at that junction.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're turning right, you indicate right - despite the angle you have the option of turning either way so it's a junction, not a slip-road.

Simples (but simplicity never stopped drivers getting it wrong)!
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mvteng wrote: »

I can sort of understand why someone would indicate left (although turning right).

I can't. That's just stupid to me.

Regardless of how the junction is 'slanted' you are still entering a road and you have the ability to turn left or right. (So it's not like a one way street you'd be indicating your intention to join, iyswim.)

In this situation indicating left whilst turning right is just wrong. Imo.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    I would definitely indicate right as you are crossing the traffic (i.e. it is a definite left turn). Vans (and anything bigger) must have fun doing the left turn!
  • alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You indicate right.

If you were nose (90 degrees) on to the "give way" lines you'd indicate right.

Just because you are an angle makes no difference to what the maneuver is.

The black vauxhall road position is near enough correct.

The white VW is in "no mans" land from a positioning perspective.
  • Foxy-Stoat_3
    Foxy-Stoat_3 Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2013 at 10:57AM
    Options
    I think forget about indicating, look at the cars position....No way can the black Astra make a successful left turn in that position, the white Golf would struggle too.
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Looks to me like there should be no left turn, therefore you wouldn't need to indicate because there's only one way you can go.

Poor road design anyway......
    From the black car onwards, that little triangle of space should have been turned into pavement and access, with the junction turned into something more "normal".
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • OddballJamie
    OddballJamie Posts: 2,661 Forumite
    Options
    Foxy-Stoat wrote: »
    I think forget about indicating, look at the cars position....No way can the black Corsa make a successful left turn in that position, the white Golf would struggle too.

Which Corsa? Am I looking at the right thing.

I'd indicate right OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family