One mans winning battle againist selling calls.

Link.

Very clever, but also can have it's downsides.

Comments

• "A man was so incensed by PPI cold callers interrupting him that turned the tables by charging them to call him..."
    Read the full story:

PPI cold call victim gets revenge with 0871 number

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
  • Well done that man.

Shame about this bit....

"Premium rate numbers are not designed to be used in this way."We would strongly discourage people from adopting this idea, as they will be liable under our code for any rule breaches and subsequent fines."

It is annoying to read this part of the story, surely the regulator should be applying "The Rules" to those making the cold calls in the first place.
  • ChopperST
    ChopperST Posts: 1,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What a hero! Well played sir!

"Premium rate numbers are not to be used in this way"

In what way exactly - heres my phone number - call me if you like?

What it means is the boot can't be used on the other foot!
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Businesses seem to want the right not to pay extra for interrupting your business, too bad.

Could we give out the private numbers of the officials responsible for regulating cold calling and are reluctant to prosecute firms? That might get some action.
  • rugmaker
    rugmaker Posts: 395
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Typical position from a so called "regulator" - protecting the firms they are supposed to be policing and offering no support to the ordinary consumer. They should be publishing an easy step by step guide so we can all do it.
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634
    Forumite
    I just found this quote from a website (no idea if it's reputable) that sells 0871 numbers:
    Most of our customers use 0871 numbers for technical support lines or lines that they want to discourage callers (due to the cost to call).

I would say that these numbers are designed exactly to be used in this way!
  • m00min
    m00min Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2013 at 5:07PM
    It's a brilliant idea.

Unfortunately, PhonePay Plus (the regulator) could get him on a technical point - anyone operating a premium rate number must make callers aware of the cost of ringing it.

From their website;

Premium rate services must:

• be upfront about the service they offer and the cost
    • treat consumers fairly
    • comply with the law
    • not invade consumer privacy
    • not cause harm or unreasonable offence to consumers
    • resolve consumer complaints quickly
    All premium rate companies have to:

• register with PhonepayPlus
    • submit and maintain accurate details of its services and numbers to PhonepayPlus
    • check the companies they contract with
    • ensure consumers are not put at risk
    • follow any direction, instruction, notice or request for information from PhonepayPlus
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Herbalus wrote: »
    I just found this quote from a website (no idea if it's reputable) that sells 0871 numbers:

I would say that these numbers are designed exactly to be used in this way!

I wonder if the cost of the helpline could be used to judge companies on their commitment to quality after sales support?
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634
    Forumite
    m00min wrote: »
    It's a brilliant idea.

Unfortunately, PhonePay Plus (the regulator) could get him on a technical point - anyone operating a premium rate number must make callers aware of the cost of ringing it.
    This is interesting, because they didn't actually prohibit him from continuing with his 0871 number. Makes me if this list isn't exactly relevant:
    From their website;

Premium rate services must:

be upfront about the service they offer and the cost
    They are not offering a service.
    treat consumers fairly
    There are no consumers in this case.
    not invade consumer privacy
    not cause harm or unreasonable offence to consumers
    resolve consumer complaints quickly
    Again, no consumers, so not sure if it's relevant.
    All premium rate companies have to:

• register with PhonepayPlus
    • submit and maintain accurate details of its services and numbers to PhonepayPlus
    • check the companies they contract with
    • ensure consumers are not put at risk
    • follow any direction, instruction, notice or request for information from PhonepayPlus

If there is no company, does this apply?

What they really need is some condition that only businesses can have 0871 numbers. Then this might have more weight.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    PhonePayPlus is talking nonsense. I adopted this approach in 2004 using the 070 code and provided this as my contact number - it was a 'personal number' after all. It certainly weeded out the spurious callers, but the real phone number still gets calls so it isn't foolproof.

It is always up to the caller to decide whether to pay the cost of the call - and neither does the recipient have to advise the cost of the call as he's not advertising it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure