Do you live to moneysave ...or moneysave to live?

Options
Interesting conversation with some friends last night and we were trying to decide whether moneysaving was something we did to support or families or something that we did in order to provide the little luxuries....

I think I live to moneysave...if I'm honest I quite enjoy getting a bargain but its not something I have to rely upon.

I like to have a rummage in the reduced cabinet in the supermarket...and yes sometimes we have "strange tea"...because its something ive picked up cheaply...but the family make a joke of it rather than us needing to shop within a rigid budget

I love the free cinema screenings...and cant remember the last time we went to the cinema and paid to see a film...although we do usually end up eating out as a result of the trip,so in some ways we arn't money saving at all by going out!

I love the survey sites and have got a good steady stream of vouchers and incentives accumulating...
I product test and have received some wonderful freebies over the years....some of the things I would never have tried but as a result have become firm favourites.....I've also got to confess that potentially ive not bought any toiletries apart from toothpaste for a good few years thanks to some wonderful testing panels!!

large purchases usually have the phrase "and is that your best price attached to them"....Its worked reasonably well when we book holidays and as such we've usually spend the discount on things to upgrade or enhance the holiday more.

So I guess my question is as the title suggests...which one are you and how do you use any savings you make....or indeed is there an aspect of moneysaving you actually enjoy?....for me its got to be the product testing.
frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend

Comments

• Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    I don't mind moneysaving, but it does take a lot of time and effort, so if money was no object I wouldn't be. So for me, it would be moneysave to live.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We moneysave to live.

It wont be the first time the kids have asked 'what was on offer' rather than 'what's for tea'? :D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've changed. I've always been a moneysaver but it use to be 'cos the extra i had i could give away and help others, particularly family. You learn by your mistakes, now it's so i can treat myself.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »

It wont be the first time the kids have asked 'what was on offer' rather than 'what's for tea'? :D

my family usually ask "what should this have been made with"...and if they see something unusual on the plate that usually sparks the guessing game of the price on the reduced ticket.

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LEJC wrote: »
    my family usually ask "what should this have been made with"...and if they see something unusual on the plate that usually sparks the guessing game of the price on the reduced ticket.

Why does it always look different in the picture on the packet Mum to when you cook it ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I could afford to live and eat without moneysaving but just not the same lifestyle. I like to get a 'richer' lifestyle than I can afford without moneysaving and working extra. Some things are worth the extra time/effort for a saving (to me loyality points etc) and some things are not ( online surveys ) to me personally. To me whats the point in paying more for things than you have to, much to the embarrassment of my friends.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To start with it was moneysave-to-live, then things got easier.

However being on top of our outgoings keeps anxiety at bay for me. There is a certain calmness which comes from living well within our means, and being able to treat ourselves without the bill coming back to bite us in the bum later.
  • LEJC
    Options
    Alikay wrote: »
    To start with it was moneysave-to-live, then things got easier.

Actually...thats probably how it started for us...and then just became a way of life...albeit one I still quite enjoy!

I guess old habits die hard.

• marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2013 at 2:31PM
    Options
    I money save to live well. By being careful with my spending my children and I can afford a far better lifestyle than we would if I was reckless. Once you start on this MSE journey it all kind of becomes second nature after a while, and you don't notice how careful and savvy you have become. I simply do not like paying more for anything than I absolutely have to. Shopping around and not making impulse purchases saves a fortune. I have also perfected the art of bargaining, which can be fun :)
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • LEJC
    edited 29 August 2013 at 2:34PM
    Options
    marisco wrote: »
    Once you start on this MSE journey it all kind of becomes second nature after a while, and you don't notice how careful and savvy you have become. I simply do not like paying more for anything than I absolutely have to. Shopping around and not making impulse purchases saves a fortune. I have also perfected the art of bargaining, which can be fun :)

I have to agree its become part of me now...although unlike you I've not managed to fully crack the impulse buy...but I do have the bargaining down to a fine art.

I have to say I like the phrase...I moneysave to live well...thats me!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport