Does your child ever just get on your nerves?

Options
I tried to think of a diplomatic way of writing the title, but couldn't think of one. DS is 2 and 8 months, I love him dearly but to be frank (I will probably get flamed for saying this) but he has been absolutely getting on my nerves today.

Most of the time he is good as gold, but recently he has developed a high pitch scream - ear piercing is an understatement - which he lets out every time he doesn't get his own way, feels like every five minutes today.
He isn't playing with his toys, even though I was playing with them with him (which he usually loves), he was just throwing them and it feels like everything over the past 4 or 5 days has been a battle. Brushing his teeth took 15 minutes of wrestling this morning, he nearly drowned himself in the bath today by throwing himself backwards in a fit of temper, and it has just been one thing after another.

He has a speech delay. He is verbal, but is behind his peers (his speech is nearer to a 2 year old than a 3 year old - basic 2-3 word sentences). I am making some allowances for his frustration due to the lack of speech, but even so, he is testing my patience more than ever today. I had the common worry about Autism, but he doesn't have any of the symptoms or signs apart from the speech thing so I can probably rule that out. OH doesn't live with us, although he does see him regularly, so I am basically doing it alone. I have tried counting to ten, deep breaths, walking out of the room, but nothing seems to be working.

It's times like this that I wished that I drank :o.

I suppose I am asking if this is normal, because I feel like some two-headed demonic creature at the moment.

Comments

• Looby_-_Lou_2
    Options
    Perfectly normal. My two are 5 and 9 and I have days where I could cheerfully hand them on. I'm certain they feel the same about me some days too.

Is there anyone who could have him for an hour or so just to let you recharge your batteries?

Deep breath and start again tomorrow?

L-L
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm waiting to read a poster saying 'never'. Honestly, whose child doesn't get on their parents' nerves at least once in a while. You are just normal!
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Goodness, YES!

My 2 are 13 and 9 and even after all these years they can drive me up the wall :D
  • mcja
    mcja Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Options
    Oh my gosh, completely normal. Kids are little monkeys and know exactly what buttons to press to wind us up.

Does he use/need makaton to help him with his frustrations. Things like tantruming in the bath need to be dealt with. Take him out, put him in his cot and walk away.

Good luck, I don't drink either and sometimes wish I did, and mine are 6 & 9 now.

Oh, and to give an honest answer, yes my kids seriously !!!! me off sometimes. :rotfl:
    “Listen earnestly to anything your children want to tell you, no matter what. If you don't listen eagerly to the little stuff when they are little, they won't tell you the big stuff when they are big, because to them all of it has always been big stuff.”
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    Every parent has been in your position at some point.
    Have you tried changing his routine a bit?
    Getting more exercise & fresh air will help both of you clear your heads.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't give any help on the reasons your son may be throwing tantrums, but it's perfectly normal for your child to get on your nerves IMO.

Mine all went through periods of irritating the pants off me in their different ways: DD was fussy and pious for a while at around 5, DS1 became a stroppy little "know all" at around 6 and DS2 could be a whingy, whiny toddler. They all came through it, and I'm sure your son will soon learn to cope with disappointment when things don't go his way too :D
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Options
    Yes. My son turned 2 a few weeks ago and he drives me potty. It's a mixture of normal toddler behaviour and his disability. It would be better if he slept through but he doesn't. His screeching really grinds on me :(

Oh and my son went through a stage of deliberately holding his head under the bath water. He'd only be like it for a second as I'd scoop him out but my God how terrifying.
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    Options
    Perfectly normal, my 6yo drives me mad sometimes. I just tell him to go elsewhere as heis doing mummies head in, it passes once we have abreak from each other.
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    If someone flames you for saying your child occasionally gets on your nerves, they're clearly not a parent themselves.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yup absolutely my 3 year old more than the 6 year old atm

i have been known to google how to sell your children theres a church in africa that buys them for around $20000 i have never been so tempted in my life!
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport