Can I save my handbag???!!!

Options
I have just noticed that I have spilt a bottle of orange lucazade in my very new very expensive leather handbag, its soaked through to the leather - I have no idea what to do with it.

Any hints or tips ?? it cost me a small fortune, I really think I might cry :(

Thanks
P3

Comments

• Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    Oh noooo...

If it is a reputable brand, perhaps ask in store? I am sure you are not the first to have an accident, and they might know what to do with the particular type of leather.

Has it soaked therough so it is visible from the outside?

Do you know how the leather is treated, and what sort of colour is it? (Some times, tan natural colours can look good even if stained darker - have heard people use tea but wouldn't vouch for it...) The method may depend on the type.

Can you lift the lining out, and sort of sponge clean it? Lucozade is very sticky :( not sure if you can use some sort of dry cleaning product.
  • moromir
    moromir Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you rung the shop? They will sometimes have 'bag hospitals' where you can send them to be cleaned, stitching rewaxed etc, might be worth a call?
  • Pthree
    Pthree Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it has soaked through.

I am at work so cant ring but have fired off an email, hopefully will get a response.

Bag hospitals? Really? The mental image of that is somewhat amazing lol

I knew there was a reason I never buy myself nice things - I just cant look after them :o
  • moromir
    moromir Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Me either Pthree thats why I bought my nice thing in black :D

Also have you checked your home insurance? Most valuables over £1000 need to be insured seperately but I've got mine with Shiela's Wheels anyway who threw in higher handbag cover for mine.
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    Is it light leather, that might be more difficult? Dark, it might just dry out and fade.

I have a dark leather Chloe bag that looks better with the aged look ( probably about 6-7 years old), it has water marks and felt tip stains at the bottom but it's dark brown and not meant to look structured and they do kind of fade in over time. I quite like it like that, it's a bit like stretch marks - you can't get rid of them but they kind of tell a story lol.
  • Pthree
    Options
    Well their reply was once its soaked through there is not much you can do.

So not very helpful considering I spent the best part of £300 quid on it.
  • Pthree
    Options
    It's in tan, it was a Modalu Pippa bag (that I had lusted after since before it was called the Pippa bag!!)
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Found this for you, they may be able to help?.....

http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Handbag_Spa.php

Good luck! :)
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't suppose your home contents insurance covers items outside of the home?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You may not be able to salvage the tan shade, but you might be able to have it dyed to a darker colour to disguise the lucozade stain and sponge the lining clean of sticky stuff. Alternatively there are these guys online but I didn't check the cost! http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/Handbags_Cleaning_Stain_Removal.php
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure