Diary of a home owner wannabe (my 6 year journey)

Options

Comments

115K Posts: 2,678 Forumite
    Options
    So this week has been one of highs and lows - starting with a complete meltdown at the beginning of the week. I have let everything get on top of me and rather than talk to DH I kept it to myself - hence the meltdown followed by a MAJOR spending spree :eek:. I got to the stage where everyday was groundhog day for me from start to finish. I felt like I was running a hotel and my family were my guests. So after a long and sobbing conversation with DH I feel so much better and he has started helping me a lot more and I'm hoping the kids will take a little more responsibility too.

I'm happy it was resolved, finances should be a shared responsibility between a couple or it will build up resentment, IMO anyway.:)
    HOUSE MOVE FUND £16,000/ £19,000
    DECLUTTERING 2015 439 ITEMS
    “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.”
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    115K wrote: »
    I'm happy it was resolved, finances should be a shared responsibility between a couple or it will build up resentment, IMO anyway.:)

You are so right 115K

PFTP x
    Goal:to save £16,000 by 30/09/2019 claw back rental costs
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    pennyforthepot Posts: 652 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2013 at 12:14PM
    Options
    Ok so here is the list - there is no order to it at the moment as I just wanted to get things down before I forget.

I have given myself 2 weeks to complete this list which I'm hoping will be manageable as long as I get some free time to do it all.

TO DO LIST:
    1. [STRIKE]update bank balance on spreadsheet and budget accounts[/STRIKE]
    2. [STRIKE]calculate underspend on budget accounts for the year[/STRIKE] (hoping there will be no overspends) little bit left but all gone now
    3. [STRIKE]sort out DH bank account - think I need to move some money into it as I know he is over his limit[/STRIKE] hmm have put £200 in his account to put him in the black
    4. [STRIKE]transfer expenses into DH bank account where he has used personal account instead of business account[/STRIKE]
    5. [STRIKE]transfer money into and out of flexiaccount[/STRIKE]
    6. [STRIKE]contact Nationwide re joint flexi account which we were accepted for but still have no details[/STRIKE] possibly because I didnt read the letter properly and they need two signatures from us - now done!
    7. [STRIKE]ring car insurance company as they don't seem to have change of address and the insurance renewal has been based on old address[/STRIKE]had to pay an additional £7 due to postcode change which is odd seeings as the insurance for the other car went down due to postcode
    8. [STRIKE]get quote from webuyanycar for jeep - need to sell in Jan[/STRIKE] coming in at £4000 - will be happy if we get £3000 - due to numerous bumps and scratches
    9. [STRIKE]chase up order from BHS which left the warehouse weeks ago but has not arrived at shop[/STRIKE] now in the shop - pick up on Thursday when I'm down that way
    10. [STRIKE]diarise holiday payment dates and flight info dates[/STRIKE]
    11. [STRIKE]book hire car for holiday as 7 seaters go very quickly[/STRIKE] booked though shall be apprehensive till we get it as I have never hired a car abroad without some kind of issue
    12. [STRIKE]look at cabs for airport (not urgent)[/STRIKE] local company posted xmas card through the door this morning with airport runs available - filed and diarised
    13. [STRIKE]ring doctor re DSS2 hospital appointments which they have messed up 3 times now[/STRIKE]
    14. [STRIKE]chase up money still owing on class kitty for DS which I have taken responsibility for[/STRIKE]
    15. [STRIKE]buy DS new school shirts as he has ripped one beyond repair and only has 2![/STRIKE] just bought 1 - £20 for a school shirt is outrageous, will just have to fix the other one
    16. [STRIKE][STRIKE]new school pens needed for DS[/STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    17. [STRIKE]buy new coat for DD - she doesn't have one[/STRIKE]
    18. [STRIKE]work out what i still need to buy for xmas/bdays this year[/STRIKE]
    19. [STRIKE]finish wrapping pressies I have bought[/STRIKE]
    20. organise family secret santa and communicate via facebook - WIP - waiting for everyone to let me know what they want
    21. [STRIKE]Contact DDs school re passport which needs to be renewed before school trip[/STRIKE]
    22. [STRIKE]email letting agency re problems we have with house ie mold in rooms and non flushing toilets![/STRIKE]
    23. [STRIKE]sort out purse which is bulging with cards (not cash) and making my life a pain every time I open it[/STRIKE]
    24. [STRIKE]tackle the sewing pile I have of clothes that need fixing[/STRIKE]
    25. meal plan for next 3 weeks WIP one week done one left
    26. [STRIKE]sort out what is in the freezer[/STRIKE] more food in than I realised :)
    27. [STRIKE]take the rubbish to the tip - seem to have missed the bin men 3 weeks in a row now[/STRIKE] have just put 10 bin bags out the front in the hope that the bin men will take them tomorrow otherwise its up to the tip tomorrow
    28. [STRIKE]email SIL as she has just been made redundant[/STRIKE]
    29. [STRIKE]re-order new lid for slow cooker (the one that DH ordered was the wrong size and I think it is too late to send it back[/STRIKE] ordered new 8 litre one for £35 including postage - third one this year :eek:
    30. [STRIKE]buy curtain rail - curtains hanging over door frame to keep the heat escaping from the lobby and keeps falling down[/STRIKE]
    31. [STRIKE]read gas and electric meters[/STRIKE]
    32. [STRIKE]read personal emails and action[/STRIKE]
    33. read business emails and action - also tidy out all business emails
    34. business accounts
    35. business filing and admin
    36. [STRIKE]personal filing and admin[/STRIKE]
    37. [STRIKE]sort out the cupboards where I have dumped all the store cupboard staples- don't know what i have at the moment[/STRIKE]
    38. look for gym leotard for DD on ebay or amazon - she's only been waiting for 3 months
    39. [STRIKE]tackle the mountain of washing and ironing that I have left all this week[/STRIKE]
    40. [STRIKE]general housework again - this is not urgent[/STRIKE]
    41. buy walking gear for DS's Duke of Edinburgh (gonna be expensive) postponing this purchase till the sales kick in
    42. organise a sporting activity for DS to do for 12 weeks for DOE
    43. [STRIKE]Mr T shop by sunday to use up £5 voucher[/STRIKE]
    44. [STRIKE]ring for referral for DD physio appointment[/STRIKE]
    45. find DJ for DDs joint 13th bday disco:eek:
    46. [STRIKE]dig out coats for a friend who is collecting them for the local homeless charity[/STRIKE] only found one - gave the others to charity when we moved

Phew - exhausted already:rotfl:

Time for a cuppa then

PFTP x
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    Busy busy weekend - and far too much money spent again. Today is a new day and need to focus on the future rather than dwell on the past. Working through my do list.

PFTP x
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    pennyforthepot Posts: 652 Forumite
    edited 4 December 2013 at 2:41PM
    Options
    Struggling to get on here at the moment. It's easy to do when things are going well but you kind of want to bury your head in the sand when they're not. I shall persevere as I know I need to and will feel better for it in the end. I think I will be down about £1000 this month but hopefully I will still reach my target of £100,000 that I originally set myself which was £15,000 for the year - even though I was hoping for £18,000 - onwards and upwards -still working my way through the list - and still up on my food budget for the month - looking at a healthy £7.16 daily spend at the mo. :rotfl:

It's the small things :)

PFTP x
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    List down from 45 to 20 items - ploughing through them but I have a feeling I'm doing the easiest ones first! I'm not going to add any more till that one is empty.

Bought some yellow sticker bits from Waitrose yesterday and still managing to stay within my daily food budget £7.34 a day for the next 15 days. Need to go through the freezer (metaphorically of course:rotfl:) and sort out what meals I have in there.

Menu Plan for the next week which should all come out the freezer other than the veg:

Wed: chili out the freezer
    Thurs: minced beef cobbler
    Fri: Gammon and dauphanoise potatoes
    Sat: salmon and pesto
    Sun: Roast lamb
    Mon: lamb tagine
    Tues: Pull apart pork

Need to get DS a couple of school shirts today which I will do when I drop him off at his dads tonight as the uniform shop is just down the road. DD won't be going as she is ill in bed and fast asleep at the moment - poor thing :(

Feeling a bit more upbeat at the moment and using my diary certainly helps to feel more in control of things.

PFTP x
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    DD still poorly this morning - I think she has flu - poor thing.

Bought DS a new school shirt yesterday - was planning on getting two but at £20 each one will have to do. :eek: I try to buy secondhand ones but there weren't any in his size.

I need to pop into the local town today as DS duvet cover is in at last and I also want to pick up a game which has been reduced this week for a Christmas pressie. Don't really want to go as it's very cold outside.

Nothing to buy for food today as it's mince cobbler for tea and I have everything in. Getting back to my MS ways - which I really need to after my slippage last week.

I missed the transfer date for my flexiaccount which means I didn't get my interest this month. I should think about setting up a standing order which makes it easier.

Getting through my do list - only 12 things left and a couple of those I can't do until people get back to me. I have a load more things to add but wont do that until this one is done as much as it can be.

Off for a shower

PFTP x
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    Ended up spending £4.50 on food yesterday - some bits for DD to try and make her feel a bit better and some milk just in case I ran out. Still holding out at £7.52 for my daily food spend. Do need to pop up to Mr T for some bits to go with gammon tonight.

DD still off school - that's 4 days which is unheard of for her. She's on the mend and I'm trying to encourage her to get up today.

DH is picking up the jeep today - £500 for the MOT and service and that's parts only as a very good friend of ours has kindly done it. That is the last of my annual costs finished now and I have a grand total of £30 underspend in that budget account. I was hoping for a couple of hundred but the cars have needed a lot of work this year. The jeep is now in a position to sell so we will do that in the new year. Hoping to get a couple of grand for it and a reabate on the road tax and insurance. That will be going towards the overspend on next years holiday and DSS2's car that we gave him for his birthday which needs to be made road worthy.

Tackling the list again today - hoping to get another 4 or 5 things ticked off that.

PFTP x
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    Busy weekend again - DSS1 came over, DSS2 had a party in the garage, put the christmas tree up, did the housework and spent a lot of time cooking.

I have 8 out of the original 46 items left on my to do list most of which will be tackled this week so am pleased with my progress. I need to create a new list today as I have so many things to add again :eek:

Fairly low spend this weekend as I had most of the food in and although I had to get DD a new coat it is allocated for in the kids budget. £8.19 for my daily food budget for the next 11 days.

Off to clean the oven after a weekend of cooking :(

PFTP x
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening PFTP - how the devil are you?

Another list would be lovely, it guilts the rest of us into doing things.

Ovens need to be cleaned now? :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport