MSE News: Egypt crisis: Holidaymakers could miss out on refunds if they cancel trips

Options
13»

Comments

• securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mcfisco wrote: »
    Some things trump saving a few quid on a cheap holiday
    For most decent people, at least.

Since Egypt was, for many years, a violent military dictatorship, and has (for example) a 90% rate of female genital mutilation, complaining about "decent people" thinking that some things trump saving a few quid on a cheap holiday seems rather rich. Egypt's a cheap holiday destination. Anyone who books a holiday there has already decided that cheap trumps decent.
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Since Egypt was, for many years, a violent military dictatorship, and has (for example) a 90% rate of female genital mutilation, complaining about "decent people" thinking that some things trump saving a few quid on a cheap holiday seems rather rich. Egypt's a cheap holiday destination. Anyone who books a holiday there has already decided that cheap trumps decent.

Who complained? - try reading again

I merely gave an opinion on people getting all excited that the current situation of massacres in the street may well result in even cheaper holidays.
    Everyone makes a decision on how they spend their money based on many factors and always will. Nothing wrong with that.

I find it distasteful when it comes to people actively looking to benefit from such events and the worse it gets the happier they get.
    If you don't - that's fine.
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
  • mick_vandick
    Options
    Egypt's a cheap holiday destination. Anyone who books a holiday there has already decided that cheap trumps decent.
    Sorry, what absolute crap. I could go to Mexico for the same price as my Egypt holidays cost, they are not cheap.
    And as for standards, there are some amazing hotels there with outstanding service, both in the Red Sea areas and Cairo/Luxor.
    Clearly there are some poor hotels, show me a resort where there aren't?
    You've no idea what you are talking about with a comment like that.
    :beer:
  • securityguy
    securityguy Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, what absolute crap. I could go to Mexico for the same price as my Egypt holidays cost

Indeed. Two third world countries.
  • mick_vandick
    Options
    Oh good god
  • MastG
    MastG Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Had 2 weeks in egypt (1 week nile cruise 1 week hurghurda) with thomsons booked for 25th sep.
    Thomsons phoned around 8th august and cancelled our holiday... offered same trip for october !!! Took money back instead.
    Shame really as I was looking forward to it and worry how the egyptians who depend on tourists are surviving ?
  • r4ffers
    Options
    Properly annoyed. I had booked for 5 days in Cairo, Hotel was just outside Tahrir square a stones throw (no pun intended) from the 6th October Bridge. My insurance advised me that I would not be covered if I travel and I should cancel the flights and recover the cost. I cancel the flights and get told i'm not covered. Talk about rock and hard place. My argument is that they only read the first part of the terms of general exclusions. My argument is that although there is unrest in the country it is not as a result of a Civil uprising or a military intervention. The Government has been deposed and an interim government put in place.

What is the point of insurance if all they do is try to get out of paying?? Oh, I did book it on the 6th January 2013, before this mess started.

Last Minute seem to have 100% cancellation fee also.

Anyone got any ideas where I can take it further would be gratefully appreciated!

We will not pay for claims arising directly or indirectly from:
    1 War, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities or warlike operations (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, terrorism, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion assuming the proportions of or amounting to an uprising, military
    or usurped power but this exclusion shall not apply to losses under Section G –
    Emergency Medical and Other Expenses, Section H – Hospital Benefit and Section
    J – Personal Accident unless such losses are caused by nuclear, chemical or biological attack, or the disturbances were already taking place at the beginning of any trip.
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    r4ffers wrote: »
    . My argument is that although there is unrest in the country it is not as a result of a Civil uprising or a military intervention. The Government has been deposed and an interim government put in place.

IMO, it was a civil uprising [against the elected gov] that prompted the military to intervene, which then spawned more civil unrest and yet more military intervention.
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
  • mick_vandick
    Options
    Have you just cancelled this? if so, the Foreign Office advise against travel and so the regardless of your insurance the airline should be refunding you as you can't travel anyway?
    Which airline and when did you cancel? They should have been contacting you to advise you can't travel if it's a UK based airline.
  • r4ffers
    Options
    Have you just cancelled this? if so, the Foreign Office advise against travel and so the regardless of your insurance the airline should be refunding you as you can't travel anyway?
    Which airline and when did you cancel? They should have been contacting you to advise you can't travel if it's a UK based airline.

The Airline is Turkish Airlines via Lastminute.com. They can cancel but as they are only flying to the airport they have no issues with continuing with the flight. Our Foreign office has confirmed its an Amber warning and advise against travel unless it is absolutely necessary. I've made a complaint via the FO and now have to wait 8 weeks. I was also advised by the insurer to cancel in any event and claim the cost of the flights back. I think that will be my get out clause.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure