MSE News: Egypt crisis: Holidaymakers could miss out on refunds if they cancel trips

"Holidaymakers bound for Egypt could miss out on getting a refund if they cancel their trip as rising tensions consume the country...."
Read the full story:

Egypt crisis: Holidaymakers could miss out on refunds if they cancel trips

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a holiday with a curfew, so the tour ops and airlines need to decide what they are going to do.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Alias_OmegaAlias_Omega Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the hotels have a compound, which I have no doubt they will have Control of Entry down to one point, which of course would be manned.

The curfews will be to be back within the compound.

I doubt there will be any action in the tourist areas, as its just financial suicide.
  • spacey2012spacey2012 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ROFL !
    You think the people manning this compound are going to defend you if the mob suddenly decides they want some hostages for a human shield.

This is going tit's up very quickly and anyone who would risk getting in to the middle of it deserves what they get for been so stupid.
    Be happy...;)
  • KTFKTF Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of cheap holidays to Egypt coming up soon then :)
  • anyone who would risk getting in to the middle of it deserves what they get for been so stupid
    There hasn't been anything going on in the Red Sea to get in the middle of. What is happening is happening in Cairo (mostly) which is a good 500 miles away from the Red Sea areas.
    There are no 'mobs' in Sharm. Generally speaking Egyptians don't live there, although some have holiday homes there, and the vast majority of Egyptians there are ones trying to earn a living for their families back in places like Cairo and Luxor. Do you seriously think they would risk their jobs and therefore have no money for their families?
    As Alias said, it would be financial suicide if things kicked off in these resorts and the government will never allow it to happen.
    The British government would not knowingly put us at risk and if they thought there was a problem then they would advise against travel the same as they have for the areas outside the Red Sea.
    The curfew is being lifted in the Red Sea tomorrow, rumour has it.
    :beer:
  • jacques_chiracjacques_chirac Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt there will be any action in the tourist areas, as its just financial suicide.

Do you think those involved (on both sides) are concerned about the tourist industry?

Six months ago I would have said Sharm etc were safe. Now I would say they are *relatively* safe, but I would not choose to travel myself. In the future I can see the tourist areas being hit, as it is the easiest way of sending a message to the rest of the world.

I would love to be proven wrong, but these are not people that think rationally.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I shudder to think the waste. All those pineapples and coconuts rotting because we are not there to eat them.
  • I booked 2 weeks ago via lastminute.com to go to Sharm on 7/9/13

Where would I stand with cancelling surely if there is a curfew and no trips running this affects the holiday as if i knew this I would not of booked it.

Fair enough i should of been mindful with what has been happening but i thought "why not" I didn't think it would be serious and there would be curfews ect in Sharm.

I have emailed lastmibute - We are ATOL protected and paid via mastercard if this helps.
  • lewrolllewroll Forumite
    292 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Curfew in Sharm was for one night only. Everything back to normal tonight.
  • edited 16 August 2013 at 6:22AM
    mcfiscomcfisco Forumite
    2K Posts
    edited 16 August 2013 at 6:22AM
    KTF wrote: »
    Plenty of cheap holidays to Egypt coming up soon then :)

Hey well done :T

People are being slaughtered and your thoughts are grabbing a bargain whilst they bleed out?
    Orwell knew a thing or two about human behaviour.
    Do you think those involved (on both sides) are concerned about the tourist industry?

Six months ago I would have said Sharm etc were safe. Now I would say they are *relatively* safe, but I would not choose to travel myself. In the future I can see the tourist areas being hit, as it is the easiest way of sending a message to the rest of the world.

I would love to be proven wrong, but these are not people that think rationally.

Threatening the operation of Suez is the easiest way to make those that matter sit up a bit.
    Suez will be the key, the West will sit back and let them get on with it if Suez is protected.
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides