We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Egypt crisis: Holidaymakers could miss out on refunds if they cancel trips

Options

Comments

• KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    mcfisco wrote: »
    Hey well done :T

People are being slaughtered and your thoughts are grabbing a bargain whilst they bleed out?
    Well this is a money saving forum ;)
  • mcfisco
    mcfisco Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KTF wrote: »
    Well this is a money saving forum ;)

Some things trump saving a few quid on a cheap holiday
    For most decent people, at least.
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "resorts on the Red Sea would probably be fine"

So, you're probably not going to get caught between two violent factions in a bloody civil war, so that's all right then!

Sorry, the Egyptian government can't magically make part of the country safe if no-one can agree who is actually is in charge and if they don't have a clear mandate from the people.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • hanlou007
    Options
    mcfisco wrote: »
    Some things trump saving a few quid on a cheap holiday
    For most decent people, at least.

Unfortunately when it comes to saving money decency goes out the window......was the same after the shark attacks in Sharm El Sheikh.....first thing people thought was cheap holidays !!!

:cool:
  • EdinburghLass
    Options
    We were booked on a Nile Cruise then and week on the Red Sea flying into Luxor. Thomsons cancelled the flights in the light of the Foreign office advice and will refund the flights but we have only been able to get a partial refund on the hotel and cruise. Our travel insurance are refusing to pay out as they class it as civil unrest. Holiday is classed as Dynamic Package holiday so we do not seem to be covered. Holiday company both ATOL and TTA (trusted travel agent) but neither can help in this instance. Check your travel insurance if you are thinking of booking as lots exclude civil unrest.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hanlou007 wrote: »
    Unfortunately when it comes to saving money decency goes out the window......was the same after the shark attacks in Sharm El Sheikh.....first thing people thought was cheap holidays !!!

:cool:

Having dived in the read sea for over 20 years I wasnt put off by the attacks nor the current situation, majority of attacks were due to russian ran dive boats feeding the sharks to "make it more entertaining" for the divers. :eek:
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Beirut had a thriving luxury travel industry that made a huge contribution to the country's wealth before the civil war (thankfully now being restored), didn't stop it being destroyed.

Just sayin'.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    The British government would not knowingly put us at risk.

Germany, the United States, Belgium and Sweden have told their citizens to stay away from Sharm.
  • aliavavodka
    Options
    Germany, the United States, Belgium and Sweden have told their citizens to stay away from Sharm.

my son and his fianc!e are due to go out to sharm in 3 weeks, neither want to go now, as most trips are cancelled, so to be confined to hotel will not be the holiday they wanted, as they both like to explore, and see sights. but unless the government advise against all travel, they are stuck, as they cannot get a refund from the £2500.00 they have paid for this "trip of a lifetime".

Ali :mad:
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,476 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We were booked on a Nile Cruise then and week on the Red Sea flying into Luxor. Thomsons cancelled the flights in the light of the Foreign office advice and will refund the flights but we have only been able to get a partial refund on the hotel and cruise. Our travel insurance are refusing to pay out as they class it as civil unrest. Holiday is classed as Dynamic Package holiday so we do not seem to be covered. Holiday company both ATOL and TTA (trusted travel agent) but neither can help in this instance. Check your travel insurance if you are thinking of booking as lots exclude civil unrest.

I don't think that any travel insurance would cover 'civil unrest': perhaps the main message from your experience is to avoid a "dynamic package". Having said that, I think that in your situation I would still go: insist that Thomson honour their contract with you, if necessary by putting you on other flights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure