Real-life MMD: Missing Paypal payment - should I meet the deficit?

Comments

• fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 388 Forumite
    I had a similar experience recently - bought an item on eBay and payed by PayPal but seller said she hadn't received payment SO I simply went to my PayPal account and checked my payment history and she was right because the payment was marked as "unclaimed" and I was able to cancel it immediately.

Turned out the seller's email details had been corrupted and she got it sorted so I could send the payment in the end.

So first thing to do is check your payment history and then leave it to the seller to sort things out with PayPal or if you can cancel the payment then it's fine to make a cash payment to the seller - but get a receipt!

Yes, I had exactly the same thing happen. After a couple of weeks of hearing nothing I sent an email to the seller but received no reply. I wasn't unduly worried, especially as the sum involved was less than £5 but checked my the Paypal transaction and it was showing as uncollected. I then cancelled the payment and emailed the seller to tell them. Almost immediately they replied and apologised saying they had had some Paypal account problems. They were novice sellers so this was entirely feasible. To show willing they immediately posted the item to me after I confirmed I still wanted it, and I redid the payment. It all went through fine this time and we were all happy. Feedback from both sides was truthful and appropriate.
  • If the email address the seller gave exists, someone else has your money. You won't be able to reclaim it & someone has got a nice surprise via email. This is the seller's fault. If it happened to me, you'd write off the loss as your own incompetence. I would never consider asking the buyer for more money.

If the incorrect mail doesn't exist, you can simply retract the payment. Simple.

It's very wrong for the seller to ask you to pay more money! Horrific in fact.
  • What's the problem here? First thing you should have done is contact Paypal who are extremely efficient and timely in sorting out problems like this.
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 476
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 August 2013 at 10:30AM
    It was her EBay listing - (she forgot) she should not have given the option to pay by PayPal.
    She did, you paid.
    This is not a novice EBay/PayPal-er - She must have more than one account.
    That EBay account was linked to the wrong PayPal account. She cant now access that PayPal account (for whatever reason / change password / split with PayPal partner?) to withdraw her monies.
    The seller has learned a very valuable lesson - be more careful with your listings, because when your monies go astray you cannot turn to PayPal to reimburse you from an account you have no access to.
    So she turned to you - the buyer instead !
    Dont fall for it!
    She must have had access to that PayPal account at one time or another - tell her to take it up with Paypal - if she cant/wont - thats her problem!
  • This actually happened to me - my ebay account was used by an ex-boyfriend to sell concert tickets and he linked it to his paypal account. A year or so later I had completely forgotten about this and sold something myself - the payment went to his paypal account as it was still down as my preferred account.

I rang paypal but they couldn't do anything. In the end I just put it on to the list of lessons learnt. I edited all my ebay account details so that they were now only my own and moved on. I didn't believe it fair that the buyer should pay a second time and still sent the item.

No way should this seller be asking them to pay a second time.
  • "As said by previous posters no one takes paypal for a collection item it's always cash on pick up, it saves having money deducted by paypal."

Erm, no, not always - taking a paypal payment ensures the person turns up to collect, and as in this case, if there are problems, paypal is best because there's an audit trail, and paypal usually sorts out disputes very quickly when notified by either party.

So refer your seller to paypal, and check your own account for the transaction status.
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wouldn't pay any more money. Fullstop!
  • oldtrout
    oldtrout Posts: 129
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Similar thing happened to me. I disputed it with paypal and it was sorted within 3 weeks.

You've already paid for it so should not be paying any more.
  • "As said by previous posters no one takes paypal for a collection item it's always cash on pick up, it saves having money deducted by paypal."

Erm, no, not always - taking a paypal payment ensures the person turns up to collect, and as in this case, if there are problems, paypal is best because there's an audit trail, and paypal usually sorts out disputes very quickly when notified by either party.

So refer your seller to paypal, and check your own account for the transaction status.

Alas no. There is no audit trail if a buyer pays by Paypal for a collection only item. There is nothing to stop the buyer from claiming they have not recieved the item and the seller has no tracking number (the only proof PP will accept) to prove the item has been despatched.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The point of PayPal is to protect buyer and seller, sellers want cash on collection to avoid fees and stop people reversing transactions. Buyers want to pay by PayPal as there is no come back if you have paid cash and then there is a problem.
    I recently paid by PayPal for a collection item but I felt reassured that if there was a problem I could at least do something about it, fingers crossed so far no problem! Seller also wanted PayPal. I prefer PayPal for collection items as it means the buyer might actually turn up if they have paid for it in advance!
    All you need do is check if the money has gone from your account and deal with it from there.

Whilst it's right that paypal offers good protection you still need to be careful with this. A while back there were some scams going on using this paypal and then collect in person method.

One I remember reading about was a guy (I think it was a journalist) had sold an iPad on eBay and it was collection only due to postage concerns. The buyer promptly paid by PayPal and collected the item soon after. I believe it was the following day when the seller realised the payment had disappeared from their account and later found out that the buyer had reported their paypal account had been hacked into and the purchase hadn't been made by them. Paypal always favour the buyer until proof shows otherwise and the seller had no proof there had been any fraud and therefore completely lost out.

This is often why sellers prefer cash on delivery. So just bear that in mind if you're the one selling a collection only item.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure