Real-life MMD: Missing Paypal payment - should I meet the deficit?

Comments

• VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,770
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MSE_Debs wrote: »

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas

I'm sorry but I'm finding this comment increasingly hard to believe.

Even if this had been posted in the wrong section a board guide would have probably spotted it & moved it to the eBay forum. Once there it would have been sorted in 5 minutes.
  • cazpost
    cazpost Posts: 109 Forumite
    "she had the wrong email address linked to it, so the payment may have gone to someone else." ..........errr,how is that possible?

I suppose if she had a Paypal account which linked to someone such as an ex boyfriend or partner who now won't give her the money,but that is not your problem. If you have proof that you paid into the account that she asked you to pay, then its her hard luck if she gave you the wrong information. If she was daft enough to not update the information on her account,again thats her hard luck and nothing to do with you.

I suppose it could be raised as a dispute via eBay,but it does sound to me like she is trying it on. As others have said, why would she have let you take the item if you hadn't paid for it ?
  • The point of PayPal is to protect buyer and seller, sellers want cash on collection to avoid fees and stop people reversing transactions. Buyers want to pay by PayPal as there is no come back if you have paid cash and then there is a problem.
    I recently paid by PayPal for a collection item but I felt reassured that if there was a problem I could at least do something about it, fingers crossed so far no problem! Seller also wanted PayPal. I prefer PayPal for collection items as it means the buyer might actually turn up if they have paid for it in advance!
    All you need do is check if the money has gone from your account and deal with it from there.
  • You have paid in good faith and kept your side of the contract with the seller and paypal.
    Do nothing else, you have your goods and if you are happy with them that is the end of the transaction, from your point of view.
    The seller needs to contact paypal and resolve their problem, it's nothing to do with you. Imagine if you had paid cash and the money blew out of the sellers hand, same thing, you'd paid, so it's their incompetence, their loss.
  • Money does not get transferred by email! Check with Paypal what they did with your money. They have the details of the recipients bank account or credit card and that's where the money goes - not to an email address. The money should be there regardless of the email address which the Paypal user has registered.
    Ivan
    :happyhear
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,911
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The money should be there regardless of the email address which the Paypal user has registered.
    i think the question here is whether the money has gone into the seller's account
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    1. £50 is a lot of money to pay for a chest of drawers on ebay.
    2. You will have received a paypal receipt for your payment on this transaction.

I like the idea of raising an "Item Not received " with ebay /and or paypal BUT you will have to clearly explain to her why and get her to agree to the process. Because you have received the item, and you're only doing it to recover her funds. She will have to trust that you will pay her cash when/ if you get the money back from Paypal.
  • Money does not get transferred by email! Check with Paypal what they did with your money. They have the details of the recipients bank account or credit card and that's where the money goes - not to an email address. The money should be there regardless of the email address which the Paypal user has registered.

The money goes to your Paypal account which you cannot open unless you have a linked email address. The recipient then has to actively move it from their Paypal account to a linked bank or credit card account. so if the buyer has paid by Paypal to a particular email address, the money should be in the Paypal account linked to that email.
    'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.' George Carlin
  • I had a similar experience recently - bought an item on eBay and payed by PayPal but seller said she hadn't received payment SO I simply went to my PayPal account and checked my payment history and she was right because the payment was marked as "unclaimed" and I was able to cancel it immediately.

Turned out the seller's email details had been corrupted and she got it sorted so I could send the payment in the end.

So first thing to do is check your payment history and then leave it to the seller to sort things out with PayPal or if you can cancel the payment then it's fine to make a cash payment to the seller - but get a receipt!
  • This has happened to me twice quite recently on EBay purchases, seller emailed me to say they hadn't received the money and could I pay again against an invoice through Paypal. I refused as the money had gone from my Paypal account. Instead I asked the seller to speak to Paypal to sort out the problem (incorrectly spelt email address!). They got it sorted both times quite quickly after speaking to Paypal. Don't pay twice if payment has definitely gone from your account first time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure