We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
motorbike accident advice ;) ....... Updated
Comments
-
Don't worry about the gap in your cv, it's an easy one to explain and more than justifiable. I've seen some lately with much bigger gaps and they read as if they just fancied an extended break.
Hope it all goes ok for you, slow and steady is progress just not how you want it. Chin up and keep positive.0 -
The salvage value is usually calculated as a % of the pre-accident value. So if the PAV increases, so does the salvage.0
-
A milestone of 7 months.... or 215 days, 6 hours, 36 minutes and 25 seconds, but who's counting eh, not me!!!
and I'm still broken, boo hoo, well maybe not broken as much, but it's coming together nicely I think.... Still haven't been cleared to walk without my gimp boot yet, as it's still all rather fragile and may smash in to a million pieces once again if I come down too hard, but walking without crutches and just the boot is becoming easier, but painful over more than relatively short distances, and without the boot or crutches again easier but I'm being extra careful...
On the plus side, my obvious disability and my need to solicit pity from anyone that'll give me the time of day, seems to have attracted a female creature that wants to nurse me back to health, I should have broken my leg sooner if I knew it would attract one of those mythical beasts, much bedrest with my new ccompanion, sandwiches and mugs of tea are doing wonders for my wellbeing.
Hopefully 6 or so weeks and all will be well with the world once again, get back to walking properly, albeit with a limp and some rather horrendous scarring to my knee, ewwwww no shorts this summer.0 -
so, I'm a couple of days shy of the 10 month mark, eeek, I never thought this would go on for this long, but hey ho, !!!! happens haha
My leg, at my last hospital appointment almost 6 weeks ago was described as a 'light tibia fracture' now, it had almost healed, but still a little way to go at that point, have a further appointment on Tuesday where im hoping the xrays will come back and it'll be fully healed.
Im able to walk, to an extent, without my 'gimp' boot, as my oh so lovely friends refer to it as, theres still a lot of pain if I stand for more than short periods, or walk for more than a few hundred meters, surely this cant be right?
Anyway, my reason for updating this once again, my solicitors have arranged a medical for in a couple of weeks, to me this would seem too soon after my next hospital appointment, and I may still be getting booked in for physio, if its needed, it should be needed right? I still haven't had any,other than after coming out of a full leg cast and working on my knee for a couple of sessions.
Im unable to contact my solicitors right now, bank holiday weekend and all that, but one of them did try to contact me late on friday, but when I called back the offices were closed.
So what are peoples thoughts on getting medicals already? to me it would seem a bit premature, unless of course its not a final medical, although I cant check this with them now, and it would seem a bit of a wast of my time and money having to travel to have this done, considering its going to be literally 2 weeks after x-rays possibly coming back clear.
I haven't got a clue how these things work, is the point where your xrays no longer show any fractures the point where you're deemed to have recovered, even though you're still having problems with walking?
Because as it stands right now, even if I could walk back into work, I dont think im in a position to do so, I usually work as a chef, lots of standing, walking, lifting, on your feet for 12 or 14 hours a day etc and considering I cant walk say down through town without having a tremendous amount of pain, I done this yesterday, and today im limping around, it would seem a bit shortsighted to get final medicals done at this point.
Any thoughts, or should I just 'suck it up', maybe the pain after walking is a given, and this is taken in to account by the 'expert' that im going to have my medical with.0 -
I wouldn't worry about the medical being too early. If you are not fully healed then the Doc can say that, along with his estimate of how long it is likely to take. Reading through this thread it looks as if this is an initial medical report, far from a final one
Also remember there are going to be two parts to your claim, compensation for the injury itself and loss of earnings. Are you getting interim payments yet? 0 -
So what are peoples thoughts on getting medicals already? to me it would seem a bit premature, unless of course its not a final medical, although I cant check this with them now, and it would seem a bit of a wast of my time and money having to travel to have this done, considering its going to be literally 2 weeks after x-rays possibly coming back clear.
Why would a medical _ever_ be a waste of time? Or, indeed, why would any medical apart from one that says either "He's fully healed" or "After this length of time with no improvement, this is as good as it'll ever get" be a final one? The only money being wasted is that of the insurers who will be paying out. And any time that you put in to proving that your injury is still ongoing, but mending, is hardly a waste.0 -
Why would a medical _ever_ be a waste of time? Or, indeed, why would any medical apart from one that says either "He's fully healed" or "After this length of time with no improvement, this is as good as it'll ever get" be a final one? The only money being wasted is that of the insurers who will be paying out. And any time that you put in to proving that your injury is still ongoing, but mending, is hardly a waste.
A waste in so far as I'll be having xrays and an appointment with my consultant tomorrow, and this medical is in two weeks, to me it would seem a bit of a waste having the two so close together.
Because there's virtually nothing that'll change in the 2 weeks that wont already be in my medical notes, bar maybe a couple of physio sessions if I'm booked in to it.
I just don't know how these sorts of claims go, I'd have expected to get the all clear from my own consultant, see whatever any physiotherapist says etc etc before then going for medicals.
But then I know nothing about how these things go.0 -
The medicals will be for the insurance's own experts to confirm your own doctor's findings. The insurer don't have access to your medical notes - and long may that remain the case!A waste in so far as I'll be having xrays and an appointment with my consultant tomorrow, and this medical is in two weeks, to me it would seem a bit of a waste having the two so close together.
Because there's virtually nothing that'll change in the 2 weeks that wont already be in my medical notes, bar maybe a couple of physio sessions if I'm booked in to it.
I just don't know how these sorts of claims go, I'd have expected to get the all clear from my own consultant, see whatever any physiotherapist says etc etc before then going for medicals.
But then I know nothing about how these things go.0 -
Nodding_Donkey wrote: »I wouldn't worry about the medical being too early. If you are not fully healed then the Doc can say that, along with his estimate of how long it is likely to take. Reading through this thread it looks as if this is an initial medical report, far from a final one
Also remember there are going to be two parts to your claim, compensation for the injury itself and loss of earnings. Are you getting interim payments yet?
Havent had any interim payments, my living arrangements have changed somewhat since the accident, so my outgoings have been drasticaly cut, so plodding along on esa that has to be paid back isn't too bad, I have very little in th way of debts and other obligations that need to be met, so as is, with money owed to the dwp, currently stands at nearly 3k, is working for me at the moment.
It's not as though I need a 'full wage' currently, it's not like I've been needing more than basic living expenses and a few quid for the odd day out to lift my spirits a bit.
Saying that, it is getting to the point where I need to get back on my feet so to speak, so some kind of interim payment might be worth looking in to.0 -
Your medical notes are not necessarily as in depth as you seem to think they are. The court will expect medical evidence in your case to provide a definitive prognosis period and/or recommendations for any future treatment. Personally I would say this is an appropriate time for a first medical report to be prepared. As has already been said, it won't matter at this stage if the conclusions are not definitive, as a follow up report can always take place in due course.A waste in so far as I'll be having xrays and an appointment with my consultant tomorrow, and this medical is in two weeks, to me it would seem a bit of a waste having the two so close together.
Because there's virtually nothing that'll change in the 2 weeks that wont already be in my medical notes, bar maybe a couple of physio sessions if I'm booked in to it.
I just don't know how these sorts of claims go, I'd have expected to get the all clear from my own consultant, see whatever any physiotherapist says etc etc before then going for medicals.
But then I know nothing about how these things go."MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THATI'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards