Which groceries do you spend more on?

Options

Comments

• beehummingbird
    beehummingbird Posts: 402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2013 at 5:04PM
    Options
    Everyone seems to be saying toilet roll, but I find that the 6 packs you get from the 99p shop are the perfect balance between comfort and price. And they actually last unlike SP.

There are some items that I will only buy a brand for:
    Beans, Heinz or Branston.
    Sauces like ketchup or brown sauce I stick to brands.
    Toothpaste
    Pies- cheap ones are a total rip off. I got Asda SP Chicken pies once and mine only had one tiny piece of chicken (about the size of my little finger nail!) and three peas :rotfl:
    Toiletries.

Also i'm really surprised no one has mentioned sanitary towels/tampons yet. For me they are the one thing I won't change brands on.
  • Moggins_2
    Moggins_2 Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with the above re sanitary towels!

Also:
    Deodorant
    Fishfingers
    Pepsi or coca cola not cheap coke it is disgusting!!
    That's about it really!
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aldi's 49p own brand non-applicator tampons are perfectly fine - having used them for at least 3 years, I prefer them to Tampax (too much shedding) and Lilets (tiny little things, absorbency is so wrong!).

I can't go without my Pepsi Max, I only buy on offer from local Co-op/Premier stores, or Home Bargains.
    I use Nicky loo roll from HB, and found its better than the Andrex I used to pay £6 for. Sainsbury's own value brand tea bags are fine for guests (been complimented on the tea, and they are only 28p) as I don't drink tea or coffee.
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    Options
    E
    Also i'm really surprised no one has mentioned sanitary towels/tampons yet. For me they are the one thing I won't change brands on.

I only buy organic ones from Natracare though before that would always get Tampax.

http://www.natracare.com/p263/en-GB/Why-Natracare/why-natracare-tampons.aspx
  • jeddentad
    jeddentad Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    When it comes to Fish Fingers, I only want the Aldi brand >.<

I find the fish nice and chunky/flakey whereas even the big brand fish fingers are too mushy for me.

Only problem I have with the Aldi ones is they are bright orange!

Things I don't buy cheap on:

French's Yellow mustard (I've tried only Tesco's own, and that was terrible enough)
    Cat food (and the cat), I do my best to shop around for the best price on the brands we buy
    Cat litter, though I'm currently on a mission to try as many available types as possible to find the holy grail of cat litter.
    Heinz beans and sausages

Most everything else is up for grabs. I never thought I'd switch from heinz ketchup, but recently bought Sainsbury's to make baked beans, and I'm having a hard time justifying buying Heinz any more!

Also never thought we'd like Sainsbury's basic orange juice, which I only bought for mixers, but it's now a staple in the fridge.
  • amjustagirl
    amjustagirl Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2013 at 9:31PM
    Options
    is this nicky 3 ply better than aldi saxon toilet paper? might get some tomorrow.
    Win's of 2014 so far-Maxfactor mascara, £50 Pizza Express Voucher, Dr Oetker Pizza, Nuby sippy cup :j:beer:
  • alandbailey
    Options
    After my divorce, I turned my rear garden into an allotment with fruit,veg chickens & ducks. Unfortunately, with 3 freezers full up I often used to give my harvest away, still do. Now I have a blender and make fruit smoothies. I have stopped making fruit wine and liqueurs.
    I like to eat whatever is in season and am self-sufficient in eggs, raspberries, blackberries, plums, damsons, pears and apples; tomatoes and salad potatoes, cucumbers, onions, garlic. Frozen tomatoes don't work for me.
    I grow a lot of veg in containers.
    My gooseberries, broad & runner beans and peas have been low yield this year. Massive crop of strawberries.
    If I don't buy Morrisons bread on special, I bake my own. Obviously I have to buy milk, meat, fish and booze.
    Anything just picked and eaten tastes much better than the supermarket - :j:D
    I also keep active by doing this!:)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Agree about the toilet roll, it's Andrex or Velvet for me, can't bear the cheaper brands. Also kitchen rolls and sanitary goods, never occurred to me to buy anything but T although again I tend to buy in bulk when I see a good offer. I once bought enough for 6 years :D
    I won't compromise on the following, Warburtons bread,Birds Eye fish fingers,Nescafe Original and Heinz soups.
    Nothing Nescafe any more I am happy to report.
    After my divorce, I turned my rear garden into an allotment with fruit,veg chickens & ducks. Unfortunately, with 3 freezers full up I often used to give my harvest away, still do. Now I have a blender and make fruit smoothies. I have stopped making fruit wine and liqueurs.
    I like to eat whatever is in season and am self-sufficient in eggs, raspberries, blackberries, plums, damsons, pears and apples; tomatoes and salad potatoes, cucumbers, onions, garlic. Frozen tomatoes don't work for me.
    I grow a lot of veg in containers.
    My gooseberries, broad & runner beans and peas have been low yield this year. Massive crop of strawberries.
    Sounds lovely! PYO this year has been scrumptious!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Never went back to cheap bleach after I tried Domestos and we always have Flora spread which meets both mine and Mum's diet needs.
    Do like Birds Eye fish, Kingsmill bread and all of my toiletries are brands like Pantene, Colgate or Bodyform.
    Otherwise the majority is store own brand with a few value items.
  • alandbailey
    Options
    I am still working my way through top brands of instant coffee (Carte Noir, Dowe Egberts, Kenco Rich, Nescafe Gold etc) that I bulk-bought over 5 years ago. Also top quality loo rolls bought over 6 years ago. I have just finished the Kleenex mansized tissues (2 large cartons bought about 7 years ago).
    Obviously I bulk buy only if there are special offers - and I have the money.
    The only trouble with buying in bulk is the shock you get when having to buy more years later at the latest prices. I still have several years supply of liquid and powder detergent.
    My ex-wife did not understand that you have to speculate in order to accumulate. It's a better return than a cash ISA - so is getting a Solar PV system on your roof! :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure