IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

MSE News: Government to stop councils' 'backdoor parking taxes'

edited 3 August 2013 at 12:48PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
11 replies 1.7K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen Former MSE
2.4K Posts
edited 3 August 2013 at 12:48PM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
"The Government says it will clamp down on councils introducing taxes on people's driveways and parking spaces..."
Read the full story:

Government to stop councils' 'backdoor parking taxes'

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• Well guess what.

I no longer go to the town centre to do any shopping. The final straw was a £25 fine for parking 5 minutes early before the free period kicked in.

I am fed up with the difficulty in finding a parking space and driving down roads no wider than a pavement in order to spend my hard earned money in the local shops.

I now either buy online which invariably is cheaper or travel to an out of town shopping centre.

I am done with town centres due to the rip off parking charges, bad traffic and lack of free parking.
  • I haven't shopped in my local town centre for about seven years entirely because of this. Goodnes knoes how much money local councils have lost out on because of millions of lost shopping trips. Ironically, I'll bet it's more than they have ever made from parking fines.
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    36.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Room on my drive for a car. Free for first 2 hours, thereafter £100 reduced to £60 for early payment. Handy for town centre - just a 10 mile walk :rotfl:
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • Kite2010Kite2010 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    There is a piece of land near the local town which the owner has turned into "private parking for hire", however they haven't bothered trying to get a lower kerb put in, damaging it when cars drive on and off.

Ex-clampers, hopefully they will get clamped and fined by the council for damaging the kerbs
  • usa1usa1 Forumite
    538 Posts
    How can council officialdom know if you are renting your drive out on your own PRIVATE land?

Its none of their business who parks their car on private property, (unless blocking access others)

I hate greedy money grabbing councils..
    It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson, Clockwise
  • StromaStroma Forumite
    8K Posts
    Uniform Washer
    Wonder if the Inland Revenue will want their cut ?
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    There is a piece of land near the local town which the owner has turned into "private parking for hire", however they haven't bothered trying to get a lower kerb put in, damaging it when cars drive on and off.

Ex-clampers, hopefully they will get clamped and fined by the council for damaging the kerbs
    Be worth checking if council gave them planning permission to trade from that site.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Kite2010Kite2010 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    I've already sent an email to the main council to see if they know of the damage being caused to the kerbs. Most likely they will take it up with the local council to see if they have permission to operate on old unused land.
  • I was forced by my local council to stop renting out my driveway. I was told I would have to apply for planning permission for a change of use, which I wasn't interested in doing. We live near an airport and had quite a few regulars. We never had any complaints from neighbours and didn't cause any problems that we could think of. It would be great to be able to start up again one day. Fingers crossed, it gets sorted out :).
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015 :)
  • kboss2010kboss2010 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    My local council charges me £100 a year for the "privilege" of parking 3 streets away from my flat because I live in the city centre. Sometimes there are no spaces available. I understand the necessity of a parking permit system otherwise residents would not be able to park due to commuters but for such expensive permits it's clearly just a moneymaking scheme for the council.

I also find it very irritating that large commercial vans such as local tradespeople, BT/Sky engineers and the like are allowed residential permits. These are NOT private vehicles for domestic use and they often take up the space of 2 cars.

On my street alone there are at least 4 or 5 such vehicles and car owners often have to resort to parking illegally on pavements to get parked with a permit. One inconsiderate neighbour owns a huge camper van which is permanently parked in the same spot on the street and I'm convinced there are often people staying in it as it has a plastic children's step permanently placed underneath it.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" :D ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there :p
    ~ Lifehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides