Great 'ways To Cut Back' Hunt

in Debt-Free Wannabe
859 replies 540.4K views

Replies

• inkieinkie Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am sure that we all have wardrobes containing items that no longer fit us/were impulse buys/that are too small or too large - and our friends have the same. Have a night in - cook a meal (low-cost one of course!), invite your friends around and get them to clear out their aforementioned items and do a clothes exchange - you can guarantee that you will each come away with something 'new' for your wardrobe.
  • Smiley_MumSmiley_Mum Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brew your own beer. :beer:

Invest in a slow cooker/crockpot - moneysaving/timesaving rolled into one.:D

Check out this link for slow cooker recipes/tips etc

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=4273&page=1&pp=10

A rough guide on electricity consumption, link for details -

http://www.npower.com/at_home/Juice-clean_and_green/Home_energy_guide.html

Keep fridge/freezer free of ice if not frost free.

Replace electrical appliances with an A rating whenever possible.

Have a shower instead of a bath.

Set your hotwater tank at 60 degrees.

Check cistern for leaks etc, easily done with food colouring. You may be losing a lot of water otherwise. See link for details -

http://www.grampianswater.org.au/community_education/check_for_leaks.shtml
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kim03 wrote:
    Thats ok if you know how to do a meal with what left overs you have left :rolleyes:
    :) So follow the links in my signature for ideas... :p
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Turning_into_scroogeTurning_into_scrooge Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Bake your own bread, don't need to buy a bread machine hand is good enough.

bulk buy on milk when reduced and freeze it

same with shop bought bread, butter and cheese
  • Try to keep your freezer as full as possible, as a half empty freezer uses up more electricity than a full one.
  • Smiley_MumSmiley_Mum Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...but keep your fridge only half full. If you overfill your fridge it will take longer for the food to cool as it slows the flow of the cold air.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • make sure your making the cheapest phonecalls at all times
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better still - use email ;)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Big_NigeBig_Nige Forumite
    144 Posts
    Service your car yourself...buy your parts from a motor factors Brown Bros, Partco etc not retail sheds like Halfords. Almost invariably cheaper.
    Every day above ground is a good day.
  • Sofa_SogoodSofa_Sogood Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make some pin money doing online surveys, like at Ciao and Brainjuicer.

I'm not sure how I got on their mailing list, or the website adds, (maybe someone else can help?) but I've a few pounds waiting to be redeemed from them after doing a handful or two of quick surveys.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides