in Debt-Free Wannabe
859 replies 539.6K views

Replies

• billieboy_2billieboy_2 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    boxercrazy wrote:
    to follow on from this msg if you go on the AA web site (auto not alcohol!) you can put in your post code and find the cheapest petrol around, saves driving around

Just had a look on the AA website but could only find general UK petrol price reports. Could you say where on the page the link is please. Thanks.
  • beaker141beaker141 Forumite
    506 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Check out local catering colleges in the area. Quite a few have restaurants attached where you can have dinner or tea at a cheap price compared to a normal restaurant.

2 I know of are Courtfield House in Blackpool (I worked there for a day), and I am sure there is one at North Area College in Stockport somewhere.

"Establishment: L'Ecole Bistro - Bistro

Address: North Area College, Buckingham Road, Heaton Moor, SK4 1RA"
  • r_holmes22r_holmes22 Forumite
    125 Posts
    Use https://www.fixtureferrets.co.uk or https://www.madaboutbargains.com to identify special offers at your local supermarket. Stock up on non perishables and plan a few meals around the discounted foods available. Don't buy more perishables than you can use in the time available and don't buy something you won't use just because it's on offer.

If your credit card debt is smaller than your monthly disposable income then pay it off in full each month (to avoid paying interest) and use the same card for the rest of the month's expenses, attempting to ensure you get put back slightly less than what was on the card when you cleared it.

Whenever it is cheaper to buy your intended purchase online then remember to check whether you can get cashback from sites like Rpoints and GreasyPalm. Check the Madaboutbargains site for discount codes/vouchers too.
  • foxxboyfoxxboy Forumite
    50 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that the AA no longer offer this service as they couldn't afford to
    Non omne quod nitet aurum est
  • foxxboyfoxxboy Forumite
    50 Posts
    billieboy wrote:
    Just had a look on the AA website but could only find general UK petrol price reports. Could you say where on the page the link is please. Thanks.

I don't think the AA offer local petrol pricing anymore, it was too expensive for them
    Non omne quod nitet aurum est
  • angela110660angela110660 Forumite
    856 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The most important thing I suggest is that people get a decent calendar. Keep it in a prominent place (mine is in kitchen). Put everything on it - even that the library books have to go back - don't want any overdue charges. Make sure it has enough space for everyone in the house to keep up with their bills etc. too. I write everything on mine and then add on where in the filing box I have put the paperwork. Saves lots of hassle and nothing gets put away and forgotten or overdue!
  • LuisLuis Forumite
    637 Posts
    Find alternatives to going out - save that money you would have spent on a meal out / night's partying / Cinema trip with a range of alternatives:

Cook a romantic meal for 2.
    Have friends round - you cook a big chili / spag bol etc, they bring the booze, arrange silly games / board games etc - you'd be surprised how much fun this is, and how popular this might become.
    Alternatively, try a proper grown up dinner party.
    Or recreate teenage sleepovers / house parties - have a theme.
    Rediscover board games.
    Host a party (eg Ann Summers, Tupperware etc)
    Use the Orange 2 for 1 wednesday night at the cinema.
    Register with Cinecheck.com for 'assignments' to see new films for free and get paid!
    Learn massage together ;)
    Have a swap party - everyone brings things they no longer use / need - books, clothes, CDs, DVDs etc - and swap!

I'm sure there are millions of things you can think of - the idea is to be entertained without spending so much.
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • JackieJackie Forumite
    32 Posts
    Hi Murtle, What do you mean by recycling potatoes in a pot and snowballing debts?
    Thanks.
    How agreeable it is to do nothing and then rest afterwards
  • H2SO4H2SO4 Forumite
    61 Posts
    1. Use free/opensource software on your PC. It is free, and usually just as good as its costly equivalent
    2. Check PC Magazine coverdisks rather than buying software
    3. Put your PC on Hibernate rather than Standby
    4. Buy remanufactured ink cartriges rather than buying new.
    5. When buying a PC, don't buy a monitor, just reuse an old one
    6. Use 'economy' setings on appliances where possible
    7. Eat less
    8. Switch to cheapest phone/utitility providers
    9. Cut your own hair
    10. Only print things off when you know they are ready (or print off at work)
    11. Buy 'value' things rather than Top of the Range
    12. Try GreasyPalm & Mutual.net schemes
    13. Read 'The Money Diet' ***** Highly Recommended
  • Louis,

do you have anymore info on Cinecheck.com, have you used them? there isnt much info on the website - sounds great though free films and getting paid
    Ready to Go Go!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides