PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe bank

Comments

• sce37
    sce37 Posts: 130 Forumite
    As the days are now drawing in my thoughts have turned towards home made soup. Especially as all the tinned varieties are full of added salt etc.

Any favourite recipes out there that I could whizz up in the blender. :P
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    have a look here for every sort you could want, i have it on my favourites.
  • sce37
    Thanks 160
    Combo Breaker First Post
    you're welcome corrina. let us know what you try, i've only done a few up to now, but i esp like the veggie ones. the survey pop urs are annoying thou.
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Talking of chilly days and nights drawing in. Here is my own recipe for Chili Con Carne. I absolutely love it and its just as easy to make as buying a tin of sauce and adding to mince. I started to make it because I don't like those awful beans that you usually get in it. I make it without the beans and its absolutely gorgeous. You can put them in though if you like. It looks like a lot of ingredients but its just a case of adding a couple of teaspoons of each spice to your chili and it doesn't take that long to make. (I freeze some of mine to eat later too. I defrost overnight and reheat in my oven for 1 hour on Gas 4.)

If you like your chili hotter just add more cumin and chili powder.

2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
    1 onion finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    400g tinned Chopped tomatoes
    140g tin tomato puree
    12oz beef stock (water and 1 oxo cube)
    500g extra lean minced beef
    2 bay leaves
    2tsp ground cumin
    2tsp dried oregano
    2tsp cayenne pepper
    2tsp mild chili powder (or not mild if you like it hot!)
    ½ tsp salt
    14oz canned red kidney beans, drained (optional - yuck!)

Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft and cooked. Add the mincemeat and cook, breaking it up until brown. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well and leave to simmer for 1 hour, giving it a stir from time to time.

Remove bay leaves and serve with white rice.

If using kidney beans, add after the hour and continue simmering for 30 minutes, then remove bay leaves and serve.
  • sce37
    Had a quick look through might try the sweet potato recipe as I have a lonely looking one in the fridge. Will probably do it over the weekend.
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is my daughter and I's favourite pasta recipe. It may seem weird having sausage and carrot together but believe me it doesn't taste carroty and it is really very, very tasty!

I use my blender with the grater attachment to grate the carrot and then to puree the tinned tomatoes.

8oz pork sausages, skinless (or take the skin off yourself)
    1tbs cooking oil
    ½ oz butter
    ½ medium sized onion, chopped finely
    3 medium sized carrots, peeled and grated
    14oz (400g) can tomatoes
    4 fl oz chicken or beef stock (water and ½ cube)
    1 bay leaf
    1tsp dried oregano
    12oz macaroni or spirali
    3oz grated parmesan or mature cheddar cheese
    salt and pepper

Slice the sausages into small rounds. Heat butter and oil and cook onion until cooked and translucent. Add the sausage rounds and cook until browned. Add the carrots and stir for a few minutes. Puree the tomatoes in a blender and add along with the stock, bay leaf and oregano and cook, covered, over a low heat for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook and drain the pasta according to the packet instructions and pour into a warmed serving dish. Remove the bay leaf from the sauce and pour sauce over the pasta. After serving onto plates sprinkle on the cheese according to taste.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ooh they both sound good. i have done the sweet potato soup, and its lovely.
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    CHILLI FRUIT C0CKTAIL
    Ingredients:
    Mango
    Pineapple
    Banana
    Kiwi Fruit
    Strawberries
    Grapes
    Apple
    Tangerines/Clementines
    1 tbl spoon sugar
    1/4 tsp Cinnamon
    2 Bullet Chillies
    1/4 pint water
    METHOD
    Cut mango into various shapes (you will be surprised at the difference in taste) cubes, slices, wedges etc.
    Slice Kiwi Fruit but leave skin on for contrasting texture.
    Pineapple cubes as no taste differential for alternate shapes
    Tangerines/Clementines in segments
    Bananas sliced thick
    Apple sliced medium
    Grapes and Strawberries sliced in half lengthways but leave some grapes whole!

Bring spices, water. chillies and sugar to boil strain and pour over cubed/sliced fruit

METHOD
    Bring water, sugar and spices to boil and pour over fruit that you have already placed in a sealable tuppaware type container, place in fridge for at least one hour but returning periodically to give a little shake to ensure all fruit is coated in syrup.
    Serve with vanilla ice cream Yummy!
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    FREEZING HOT!!
    Take your favourite vanilla ice cream and gently whip until you get that icecream van texture to it.
    Take half a "Scotch Bonnet" Chilli it really does have to be a "Scotch Bonnett" for this recipe and it doesn't matter how big it is NEVER use more than half unless your a really big he man type and can take pain right in the head!!
    Put the half chilli along with one teaspoon of ice cream into a blender and do your worst with it then simply fold it into your whippy type icecream this is a passion booster served with freshly whipped cream with one teaspoon of Grand Marnier and one teaspoon of sugar whipped in.
    You might at first baulk at the sound of these two chilli recipes but give them a go and you will be surprised they are a sheer shock to the tastebuds!
    By the way if anybody would really like to try this and can't get their hands on Scotch Bonnets just pm me I grow my own and can supply a very limited amount of people with one in the post or seeds to cultivate and try next summer.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport