We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flights Paid For - Human Error Involved - Cancel Card Payment?

Options

Comments

• jacques_chirac
    jacques_chirac Posts: 2,825 Forumite
    Options
    Glynnar wrote: »
    Yep. Ok I hang my head in shame right now. It's my fault. I am stupid and I failed to check. I have beat myself up enough here thanks! :T

It doesn't answer my question though I'm afraid.

You can request a chargeback (refund). The bank will consider your case, and they will refuse the chargeback. You cannot cancel a payment simply because you have changed your mind.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2013 at 10:22AM
    Options
    Personally, I think that if I could cancel the payment I would do so.

As others have pointed out, you are still bound by your contract with 'On the Beach' but if they were to issue court proceedings, the defect in their web site would be a pretty good defence. And their failure to address the problem today, while you believe you can still withold payment, is unlikely to impress a court.

Note that this discussion is of academic interest (unless your card provider is exceptionally helpful, which I doubt). As has just been posted, the practical situation is as follows:

You can request a chargeback (refund). The bank will consider your case, and they will refuse the chargeback. You cannot cancel a payment simply because you have changed your mind.
    END QUOTE
  • jacques_chirac
    Options

As others have pointed out, you are still bound by your contract with 'On the Beach' but if they were to issue court proceedings, the defect in their web site would be a pretty good defence. And their failure to address the problem today, while you believe you can still withold payment, is unlikely to impress a court.

There is no defect. If you enter a search it gives you a number of options around the date entered. The date/ airline/ airport etc is very clear in these results.
  • Glynnar
    Glynnar Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    There is no defect. If you enter a search it gives you a number of options around the date entered. The date/ airline/ airport etc is very clear in these results.

The search criteria was "Birmingham only" and "no flexibility in dates"

In smallprint - The outbound was Birmingham to Malaga (3 days before the search criteria)
    The inbound was Malaga to East Mids (3 days before the search criteria)

If you have a little bit of time, check out onthebeach website and attempt a rigid search.
  • jacques_chirac
    Options
    The search criteria was "Birmingham only" and "no flexibility in dates"

In smallprint - The outbound was Birmingham to Malaga (3 days before the search criteria)
    The inbound was Malaga to East Mids (3 days before the search criteria)

If you have a little bit of time, check out onthebeach website and attempt a rigid search.

I have looked at the website. You did not read what you were agreeing to. The information could not be clearer.
  • Paige_Turner
    Options
    I have to agree with Jaques, I have booked holidays via onthebeach before and found the information very clear. TBH when making such a large purchase I always double/triple check what I'm paying for.
  • Glynnar
    Options
    I have to agree with Jaques, I have booked holidays via onthebeach before and found the information very clear. TBH when making such a large purchase I always double/triple check what I'm paying for.

Again, my fault. *fistpalms my face*. Thanks. I should have double/triple/quadruple checked. I'm pretty sure my conscience has made this clear a number of times!

I am asking what my rights are, not how silly I was, Paige.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

You cannot cancel a Credit- or Debit Card payment which has been authorized: the transaction will have to go through regardless. If there are good reasons, you might subsequently get a refund.

Otherwise people would go into shops, buy goods, pay with cards, then cancel the payment, keep the goods and let the retailer chase after the monies. (When cheque cards were still around, you could not cancel a cheque which was backed-up by card.)
  • jacques_chirac
    Options
    Again, my fault. *fistpalms my face*. Thanks. I should have double/triple/quadruple checked. I'm pretty sure my conscience has made this clear a number of times!

I am asking what my rights are, not how silly I was, Paige.

And you have been told them here:
  • Glynnar
    Options
    You cannot cancel a Credit- or Debit Card payment which has been authorized: the transaction will have to go through regardless. If there are good reasons, you might subsequently get a refund.

Otherwise people would go into shops, buy goods, pay with cards, then cancel the payment, keep the goods and let the retailer chase after the monies. (When cheque cards were still around, you could not cancel a cheque which was backed-up by card.)

Very true. A good way to look at it. It did cross my mind. The payment was pending when I called Barclaycard last night and they said the payment request needs to be "received" by them. I guess I'm not going on holiday and I have a flight to pay for that I'm not going to make! haha
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport