We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Living on next to nought - is that the key?

Options

Comments

• Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry about the brain frazzle GP - I suffer from that most days :(. Hope you are at least on the way to getting the heating sorted. Loving the food !!!!!! as always :D. Thanks for mentioning KC's new diary - will go and find it :)
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • Pippilongstocking
    Pippilongstocking Posts: 16,336 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2014 at 10:35PM
    Options
    That's it! School chocolate dinner pudding!

I knew I recognised it with the oats I like the texture - glad it worked out.

Tea looks yum!

Hope the weekend is kind to you :-) and recharges your bonce I'm working but that will purely reduce my mischievous

I was walking late today due to downpours and could 'almost' see the dogs at 5pm on the beach.

Yay
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry about the frazzlement - but that dinner, and that pudding too, look magnificent! I don't have anything regular that I cook with chocolate in it (well, for sweets, I only really cook apple crumble and Twinks hobnobs ... oh, and I recently added ripe banana cake). So that would be a great addition for me.

Bit worrying that you've got a plumber in??? Is that for future plans, or is your heating bust?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Bit worrying that you've got a plumber in??? Is that for future plans, or is your heating bust?

Future plans KC - but it doesn't make it any less bamboozling :)

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £203.56/250
    Non-food household spend June £/40
    Bulk Fund June 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 3/24 (inc. Blankets 3/6)
  • kem10
    kem10 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    That porridge cake looks scrummy! I just bought porridge oats to make banana and peanut bars so that may have to be my next endeavour.

Flying in past as I'm away to visit a friend who stays 200miles away that I don't get to see very often so I bet you can all guess what I'm grateful for today.

Hope everyone has a great weekend :)
    [STRIKE]Credit Card 17.9% = £460 paid off 2013[/STRIKE]!
    £1000 overdraft 0% = 0/£1000
    Owe parents for car = £410/£2950
    Owe SAAS £240/£548
    BF Lend £0/£200

And I'm still pretending my student loan doesn't exist until I earn enough that they ask for it! :p
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

that I know some kind people :D

that I've tracked down KC's new diary over on MFW :D

that it was discernibly lighter at 5.00pm this evening :T

I only just saw this :o:o:o thank you!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    kem10 wrote: »
    That porridge cake looks scrummy! I just bought porridge oats to make banana and peanut bars so that may have to be my next endeavour.

It is kem10 - and we have had a 'bun' today, and it is getting 'squidgier' (I mean that in a good way :o) Although less reminiscent of 'school pud' today - but still good. And I'm sure that you could use it as a 'guess the mystery ingredient' item and folk would struggle to identify it.
    kem10 wrote: »
    Flying in past as I'm away to visit a friend who stays 200miles away that I don't get to see very often so I bet you can all guess what I'm grateful for today.

Hope everyone has a great weekend :)

Well thank you for taking the time to see us - you know I appreciate it that folk take time out of their day to read and comment :D You have a great time catching up with yer pal - and enjoy the weekend too :D

I'm guilty of not completing a lot today. DP has beaten me hands down, but even he admits it has been a 'bitty' day thus far.

The day started off wonderfully....... the extractor fan in the bathroom blew up - literally :eek: And there was me casually thinking the other day that it'd been sometime since something broke.......... silly gal! :rotfl:Now, in one way, this is not a catastrophe, as it was next to useless at moving air around, and was for the 'axe' when we finally get around to sorting the bathroom out. However, it was better than nothing and didn't have to break now did it? :rotfl: And on the plus side, I am now proficient at working out the CFM for the bathroom and can look at the *important* features of potential replacement fans. In addition, we have looked to see if we could locate the fan in the ceiling, something every tradesperson has dissuaded us from doing, because 'there won't be enough room' only to find a void 2ft high. How much ****** room d'ya need?? And yes, I know you've got to be able to access for maintenance etc, but I think that it is feasible, and I am fed up of being fobbed off. So this time, we'll have what we want thank you very much - and if it doesn't work, then we'll be prepared to eat 'umble pie.

We managed to open an account this morning specifically to hold any pennies that we can muster for the work on the house. It was relatively straightforward, a lot more straightforward than filling the account is going to be :o Still, the end is worth the squeeze, the end is worth the squeeze, the end is worth the squeeze......

Having said that, DP treated us to a cuppa and a sarnie at the 'greasy spoon' this morning. Simple pleasures - a treat and time spent together gooey-eyed over the formica.......:love:......:rotfl:

Dinner this evening is going to be a new recipe - essentially a pilaf/pilau. Interesting that I bought an aubergine for it last week. Of course, walked through mandsfoodall today and they had a YS'd aubergine or two on the shelf for 50p each - coulda saved about 18p :doh: Mind you, do you think it would of been there had I needed a cut-price aubergine? Nope, me neither :D Frankly, I was shocked seeing YS'd stuff before midday on a Saturday, but then perhaps folk are shopping elsewhere, where they have a better service experience. There were at least 6 members of staff - they were in the grey rather than black - does that make them managers? Standing about doing naff all, whilst the till queue was snaking around the shop floor. Daft.

I have thus far had a NSD :D i'm pretty sure I'll keep it that way, as I've no intention of going anywhere now and I'm not planning on any online shopping at any point :D

Well, best go and check what DP is up to - last seen ripping apart bath panelling...... ho hum

Thanks for popping by, reading and commenting. I greatly appreciate it. Lots :D

See y'all later.

Greying

Bulk Fund June 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,966 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Funnily I was in m & $ today desperately hoping for reduced melon & of course there was none!!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 January 2014 at 1:00AM
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

I join you for the second time.... after writing an excellent post, possibly the best that I have ever composed in all the time on this forum, then I .....................pressed the wrong button at the wrong time and............................................ :rotfl::rotfl::o

So, let's have another try shall we?

Beanie - lovely to see you :D

Well, what I can definitely do is claim a NSD for today :D

I saw the new MrS advert this afternoon that features Jack Monroe :D I have no idea what she was cooking. I was thinking, 'that's a girl called Jack..... ooooh, is that what she sounds like in RL? oooooh, I'm so glad they haven't tried to cover up her tattoos :T mmmmm, wonder who else they've got doing this campaign?'

And then the advert finished :D

Anyway, I think that they are onto a winner. Made such a change to see someone that isn't an existing 'celebrity' and who you know is passionate about their subject and not just there for the cheque (although I am sure that that comes in handy for anyone). I also think that the gal needs to think very seriously about doing TV - she's a natural.

I have now watched episode one of 'Sherlock' - two more episodes to go, so please don't let on what happens :D

So, dinner this evening. I made Jollof Rice, which is an African dish - that has different variations, depending what country you are in. It is believed to be the origin of the dish Jambalaya and as it can use meat or fish, or can be served as an accompaniment to meat or fish - there could be substance to the theory. However, my version was supposed to be from Sierra Leone and was a vegetarian version. I'm afraid that the exact recipe that I used does not appear to be on the net anywhere. Here's a pic anyway, I served it with a 1 egg thin omelette;

022_zps27ab76bd.jpg

It reminds me of Hoppin John, but the spicing is completely different. It is nice and I will definitely make it again. The version I made used aubergine, black-eyed beans and green beans, but the nearest recipe that I could find is HERE - you can, of course adapt to suit :D I'm not too sure that the photo shows it, but actually it was a colourful dish - just the thing to brighten up a cold, grey winter's day :D We also had a glass of apple juice with it (39p for a litre carton from HB a couple of weeks ago - I bought 2)

I think that it was a frugal recipe - certainly filling and there was plenty for another meal. Of course, had my aubergine been YS'd, it would of been even more frugal *sob* ...:rotfl:

Today I am very grateful for these 3 things;

that our home has an RCD unit - there's a slim possibility* that I wouldn't be typing with you tonight without it........

that I noticed a blue t1t investigating the nest box in a nearby garden - is it too early? Is spring on it's way? Is it.............

that sometimes, I have the patience to come back, and try again........ :D

Thank you so very much for popping in, reading and commenting. I continue to appreciate it very much :D

See y'all later.

Greying

* Edit - DP reckons I would have been perfectly fine 'coz the cord wouldn't of conducted anything..... unless it was wet. As our bathroom is prone to be damp, and as the switch had tripped in the RCD - I remain grateful that we have one installed :D

Bulk Fund June 0/£10

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    Ummmm....have you had an electrical incident GP? I mean, aside from your own natural electric personality of course... :D If one's saved your (vegetarian) bacon, then I too am grateful for RCD units!

Your rice dish looks extremely colourful - and extremely tasty too. Shame about not being able to add any YELLOW from a yellow-stickered Aubergine, though! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts