Cost of looking around universities on Open days

Options

Comments

• Mummy_Moo
    Mummy_Moo Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Ohh dear. Sounds like you need to put your foot down or the next three years are going to be seriously expensive for you.

This is a great opportunity for your child to start learning about living within their means, sometimes we can't go everywhere we want and have all the easy options. I suggest limiting the number of Open Days they attend to a number you think is reasonable (to be honest 1 or 2 is probably adequate) and giving them a budget for the day (say £100) to cover all costs. That way your child can decide if they really want to go, or if getting up at 5am is worth it.

As much as you love your children spending this much money on open days is crazy, and will lead your little darlings to expect a fortune in handouts once they're at uni.
    If you don't like where you are - move. You are not a tree.
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    Final Open day completed on Friday

Nottingham Uni is nice.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Final Open day completed on Friday

Nottingham Uni is nice.

Surely the main criteria for wanting to go to Uni is the course ? not how nice the halls are

Dare we ask what she wants to study ?

My brother still recalls leaving home at 17 to go and work in London . Parents went to work, he made his own way there .
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • I remember my uni open days fondly. It was the first time I had travelled anywhere on my own by train - I think the centre of Manchester on the metrolink was the furthest I'd gone at 17.

I made it to Leeds and Nottingham all on my own... good experience. I wouldn't have wanted my mum and dad there. I still ended up going to Liverpool on clearance (and had a damn good time there too).

I didn't give a damn about halls when I was looking around - it was about the departments and the facilities. It was quite a growing experience to go on my own.

PS. Nottingham uni is nice. Nottingham isn't. Get your kid a student rail card and teach them how to get from A to Z on their lonesome.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pelirocco wrote: »
    Surely the main criteria for wanting to go to Uni is the course ? not how nice the halls are
    I actually think both are important - not necessarily how 'nice' the halls are, but the whole setup.

I went to a collegiate Uni, which suited me - walk to lectures, but everything else in one place. DH went to a campus Uni, fall out of bed and into lectures - his was within easy reach of the town centre, with plenty of accommodation within an easy walk. Two of my siblings went to campus Unis out in the middle of nowhere, without a decent bus service in those days. I would have hated that!

Two of my boys went to a campus Uni like their dad, the 3rd is in a city: no campus, halls a couple of miles away from all the Uni buildings, but a vibrant night life. Two of my nephews have done the same, a 3rd has gone for the campus approach.

I'm not saying none of us could have been happy in any other kind of Uni, but I do think that more than the course is important, and it IS worth thinking about!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    For the subject she wants to do, Nottingham is ranked number 1 in the UK, due to it's links with Boots. (Pharmacy)

Anyway, she now has a list of 5 to put on the UCAS form, and has discarded Manchester and Bath, from her list.
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I actually think both are important - not necessarily how 'nice' the halls are, but the whole setup.
    !

I agree, it doesn't matter how good the course is, if you hate the environment you'll have an utterly rubbish time. I'd actually say it is more important (and I've worked in HE for a long time!). It's easier to fix deficiencies in the course than in the place IMO - you need to be happy and comfortable to get the most out of learning.
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • TerryMI5
    Options
    TheEffect wrote: »
    Let her go on her own. I did. Think of it as initiation into student life/growing up/becoming an adult.

I second that!
  • toadhall
    Options
    With DD1 who is now in her 2nd year in Canterbury, I took her to Swansea (stayed overnight £10 travelodge,cheap takeaways) then Canterbury (got up at 6am, there and back in one day 7 hours driving) and Nottingham (there and back in one day). I am totally bemused by the amount of money spent by the OP.
    Now DD2 is starting to look around and we will do the same, then DD3 in 3 years time.
    I do not begrudge travelling to where they want to go as we all need to know that where they are looking at has decent lecturers, nice halls (they are definitely not all the same) and if the "feel is right.
    We do the travelling on a tight budget and I use up my holidays to do it.
  • southoftheriver
    Options
    I do think that with uni now being 9K students do need to investigate a bit more, but no-one forced you to spend all that money! I think its great that you're so supportive (my mum came to one uni with me on the National Express and was impressed enough at that) but I also went to places alone and that was an important part of doing my own thing.
    Current debt: M&S £0(£2K) , Tesco £0 (£1.5K), Car loan 6K (paid off!) Barclaycard £1.5K (interest free for 18 months)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure