Cost of looking around universities on Open days

Options

Comments

• Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    Pont wrote: »

Here we go again! Thank goodness only 2 kids!!!

Yes - we obviously weren't thinking straight when we had three children with three years between each :o Nine years of university (one year to go)!
    [
  • rosalie-lavender
    Options
    Bennifred wrote: »
    Yes - we obviously weren't thinking straight when we had three children with three years between each :o Nine years of university (one year to go)!

Nor us. We had three with 2 years between each. 7 years of uni for us as they are closer in age so more overlap. Last one is hopefully going into her first year in September.
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 July 2013 at 12:51PM
    Options
    ink

snap except I have four children, DD Just finished 2nd yr, twins ( tho only one looking to go) and then youngest.

You DO realise that with 3 yrs between them the important birthdays 18 & 21 are in the same yr.....
    DD 21 while twins are 18, just 10 days between them.
    Then twins 21, the same yr DS3 is 18, only 2 weeks between them.

BAD PLANNING

esp as the yr DS3 turn 21, OH and I turn 50, all within 7 weeks......... I repeat bad planning.

Back to orginal subject of Uni visiting.
    When DD was looking she originally decided she was going to live at home, as she didn't fancy living away.
    So luckily all unis were reasonably close, except Brighton which she loved the look of on paper. If she chose Brighton she'd have to live away.

She asked myself and her Nan ( ex m-I-l) to attend with her. I missed one open day as I'd just had an operation, but Nanny went with her. For Brighton Oh drove us down in the car, dropped us off and went for ice creams down the sea front with youngest.
    And while she still liked Brighton when she visited, she LOVED St Marys, and it was there she put as her first choice. She said she felt the most comfortable at StMarys of all the unis visited
    And then she changed her mind and decided halls was the way to go.

DD also had to reattend all the Unis she applied to, for tests. I went with her for all of these, and with the exception of Brighton travelled on buses/trains. OH took us down to Brighton again, tho if push came to shove we'd have gone on the train.

But I don't think we spent more than £200 visiting, and this included food and travel costs.

Edited to add, DS1 who is looking to go in Sept 14, is already looking and planning, but is doing it by himself. No requests for help yet.
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    Shelldean wrote: »
    ink...................................

You DO realise that with 3 yrs between them the important birthdays 18 & 21 are in the same yr.....
    DD 21 while twins are 18, just 10 days between them.
    Then twins 21, the same yr DS3 is 18, only 2 weeks between them.

BAD PLANNING

esp as the yr DS3 turn 21, OH and I turn 50, all within 7 weeks......... I repeat bad planning.

Yup - bad planning!:D We're through the 'overlap' birthdays now - DS3 is 20 (just finished year 2 at university). Look at the positive - you can have a huge combined event! :beer:
    [
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,107 Forumite
    Options
    Yup - bad planning!:D We're through the 'overlap' birthdays now - DS3 is 20 (just finished year 2 at university). Look at the positive - you can have a huge combined event! :beer:
    Only if they want it! Fortunately ours either didn't want a big bash, or didn't want me to know anything about it (I suspect the latter ...) but of course if I didn't know I couldn't be expected to pay! :D

We usually just go out for a nice meal whenever two or three boys are gathered together ...

BTW, I had GCSEs, A2s and would have been final year of Uni in the same year, except DS1 did a 4 year course. But mine never did 'stress', it was only my stress levels which suffered.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    Try planning the visits in a "round trip". Froggitt Junior took the train from London to Birmingham, using the £10 voucher posted on MSE a few months ago. I met her at my mums nearby, sleeping overnight, only taking the Friday off work.

Drove to Manchester on the Friday, then drove to Leeds Friday evening. Stayed in the Crowne Plaza using my points, and ate in the Student Union. Drove back to London Saturday afternoon.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just remembered another point. It didn't happen to daughter 1 when moving into her first house, but did happen to friends of hers.

Take a photograph of the gas/electricity meter readings on the day they take over the let.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Options
    The problem is that the landlord etc may not believe that the photographs were taken on the day you said.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,397 Forumite
    Options

ours want a combined party, well one twin and DD do. But getting somewhere to agree to hold an 18th is like mission impossible ( but am secretly glad as I suspected I'd be expected to inject money... lots of it :eek::eek:)
  • Pont
    Pont Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Froggitt wrote: »
    The problem is that the landlord etc may not believe that the photographs were taken on the day you said.

The photo (off any mobile) records the date, time etc. I've also known students to show that day's newspaper in the picture too. Fortunately, we've never had a problem - but any probs the photo has taken care of it for others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure