We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

using company car no claims

Options
braun_2
braun_2 Posts: 133 Forumite
I've had a job for the last few years as a health car professional with company car.

I think 'technically' I was described as having no base (like a travelling salesman) by the company even though I worked in the same building/clinic 5 days a week. The car was supplied to me via a leasing company (Activa).

After a recent job change I've had to buy my own car and am now trying to source insurance. I've phoned the leasing company to get no claims proof. (5 years no claims drops my insurance from £1000 to £200). The car leasing company have told me that as it was a fleet car I'm not entitled to no claims.

Is this correct? when I think of a fleet car I think of the AA or something. Any way I can get any no claims bonus from the car leasing company or my previous employer to save mega money on insurance?

Thanks

Comments

• chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is unlikely you will get no claims as such. However, you should ask the leasing company for a letter confirming you have made no claims in x years. Some insurance companies will then accept this to give a discounted premium, but it will not be the same as proper Ncb.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You may manage to get some small introductory bonus - but that would be a about all I think.

Most insurance companies and the public in general too, would see all company cars as fleet cars - which really is what they are.

I understand that you may well think that your being hard done by - but you can console yourself that you didn't pay any insurance premiums for the last 5 years.

I have a friend who retired recently after 40 years with the same company as a high mileage Rep - he too had to start at the bottom, with I think it was 10% discount for having had no accidents/claims on his company supplied car.

He was most put out when he realised that he would have been better off with his own car and claiming a car allowance which he had the option of taking - but didn't understand the position he would find himself in eventually.

If he'd done that a few years before retiring he would have been quids in.
  • smashingyour...
    Options
    Get aletter stating you've been claim free and find an insurance company that take on ex company car drivers. Direct line used to allow this the only thing they won't let you do is protect it for the first year.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to highjack the thread but I am changing job in a few weeks and they are keen for me to have a lease car as it works out cheaper for them. I am a named driver on my partners car and have my own that I am the main driver on. I have full no claims bonus (8 years +) and wonder if being a named driver on my partners car is enough to preserve this?
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • smashingyour...
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »
    Sorry to highjack the thread but I am changing job in a few weeks and they are keen for me to have a lease car as it works out cheaper for them. I am a named driver on my partners car and have my own that I am the main driver on. I have full no claims bonus (8 years +) and wonder if being a named driver on my partners car is enough to preserve this?

2-3 years is usually the maximum they allow you to keep your bonus for.
  • ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    I recently needed to insure my own vehicle after 3 years of company car use. Tesco were happy to accept the no claims on the condition that my fleet insurer provided a letter stating that the car was provided exclusively for my own use, and that I was able to use the fleet car for personal as well as business use.
    The only strange thing was that they insisted that the letter specifically stated how many years I had been claim free (i.e. they would not accept "No claims were made during the period 01/01/2010 - 31/12/2012" but insisted that the letter stated that "No claims were made during a 3 year period")
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »

basically no, you need to have your own policy at least every two years. You could try alternating the main proposer with your wife. Some companies are ok with this as the car is very much in the family so being the registered keeper isn't as much of an issue. That way, you'll both manitain your no claims.

To the OP, smashing is right about trying different brokers. Some will award you a NCD but it will go back to zero with the balance of the policy needing to be paid if you have to make a claim.

You won't get it through comparison sites though. You'll need to hit the phones or chat with a local broker.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    You may manage to get some small introductory bonus - but that would be a about all I think.

No, several insurers do give a much more substantial discount if you bring "NCD" from a company than just the normal introductory one. You need a letter from either the insurer or the employer to confirm the claim free period.

It is however different from true NCD and you may find that any fault claim results in losing it all rather than the normal 2 year step back etc.
  • JustLikeThat
    JustLikeThat Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    I had this situation when I retired. I found that Privelege would insure me with NCD providing I didn't claim in the first year. If I didn't claim the NCD continued. Obviously I had to provide letters from my fleet manager re no accidents for x years.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    fivetide wrote: »
    basically no, you need to have your own policy at least every two years. You could try alternating the main proposer with your wife. Some companies are ok with this as the car is very much in the family so being the registered keeper isn't as much of an issue. That way, you'll both manitain your no claims.

Thanks for that.

P.S. I am the wife! Its whether the man of the house agrees to his car being insured in my name.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure