»

Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE


The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

edited 5 July 2013 at 4:59PM in Energy
1.2K replies 388.1K views
13567125

Replies

  • papoosuepapoosue Forumite
    482 posts
    GDA/DEA wrote: »
    Hello, It is not just the energy companies who can replace boilers, I am an Energy Assessor working for a local gas installer, we have fitted lots of boilers for free under ECO and there is no 6-8 week turnaround as others have said. Last week I was doing the benefit and energy efficiency check on Monday and the customer had their new boiler fitted Thursday of the same week. :j As long as you have proof of living in a privately rented or owned property (mortgage statement or tenancy agreement) and proof of eligible benefit (Tax Credit/Working Tax Credit/Pension Credit, Etc award notices) there is no reason to get tied up in knots to get the boiler replaced. Hope this helps.

    This is possibly the answer to my question re this subject. We had a company call us and offer us a free boiler - we qualify - my partner dealt with the caller and today a person came to the house and spoke to my OH about it all. He took a photo of our house deeds and obviously needed evidence of our tax credits - I was not at home and so OH couldn't find the evidence till I got home. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the company didn't leave any documentation or anything and whilst they have a webpage detailing their property business and energy business, there is little info. I felt a little suspicious - shouldn't they have left us at least a leaflet or something, or am I just being over cautious? Would they be able to scam us with copies of our benefits info? As I say, I may just be being paranoid because they are not a 'big' company.

    I wonder if there is any way of checking the company is legit. It does come up on that company checker site, but I don't know if that means anything.
  • edited 18 July 2013 at 2:14AM
    Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 July 2013 at 2:14AM
    GDA/DEA wrote: »
    Hello, It is not just the energy companies who can replace boilers, I am an Energy Assessor working for a local gas installer, we have fitted lots of boilers for free under ECO and there is no 6-8 week turnaround as others have said. Last week I was doing the benefit and energy efficiency check on Monday and the customer had their new boiler fitted Thursday of the same week. :j As long as you have proof of living in a privately rented or owned property (mortgage statement or tenancy agreement) and proof of eligible benefit (Tax Credit/Working Tax Credit/Pension Credit, Etc award notices) there is no reason to get tied up in knots to get the boiler replaced. Hope this helps.

    - welcome to the forum Nigel, we need more 'hands on' experience feedback from the industry
    - your 'in house' knowledge and real time offer of advice to members is welcome in the forum
    - I'm sure your link was unintentional, because you hadn't had time to read the rules properly
    - soliciting business however is against the rules, you might want to remove the inserted link
    - if you want more info, ask here - or contact the Forum Team on the TRHS of this screen and ask if you can advertise
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • EcodaveEcodave Forumite
    223 posts
    That's not the way to welcome new contributors Richie. Unless I am missing something, GDA/DEA didn't mention the company he/she works for, or attempt to get anyone to part with personal info. Whilst there have been plenty of chancers up to such tricks, he/she should get the benefit of the doubt that he does not fall into that category.
  • EcodaveEcodave Forumite
    223 posts
    Ok, point taken. He may well be a naughty boy.
  • edited 18 July 2013 at 10:30AM
    CGGCGG Forumite
    746 posts
    edited 18 July 2013 at 10:30AM
    I just spoke with EDF about my ECO boiler application as I hadn't heard anything from them since I applied online on 4.7.13. I have been told that the scheme isn't yet up and running (?) and that they expect it to be much later this year when I may hear back from them (?) I was given an ECO Application No - and a direct telephone no, 0800 0968634 to call for intermittant updates on my application.
    Does this make sense to anyone? - I thought the boilers were being replaced, well, like, ..now?
  • GDADEAGDADEA Forumite
    18 posts
    - welcome to the forum Nigel, we need more 'hands on' experience feedback from the industry
    - your 'in house' knowledge and real time offer of advice to members is welcome in the forum
    - I'm sure your link was unintentional, because you hadn't had time to read the rules properly
    - soliciting business however is against the rules, you might want to remove the inserted link
    - if you want more info, ask here - or contact the Forum Team on the TRHS of this screen and ask if you can advertise

    Sorry, I am confused, I intentionally made no mention of who I work for, I only joined as I read the guidance and comments on here and it seemed to show people could only get the boilers via the big 6 energy companies, which is incorrect. What link are you referring to? I will remove it, definitely was not intentional.
  • GDADEAGDADEA Forumite
    18 posts
    papoosue wrote: »
    This is possibly the answer to my question re this subject. We had a company call us and offer us a free boiler - we qualify - my partner dealt with the caller and today a person came to the house and spoke to my OH about it all. He took a photo of our house deeds and obviously needed evidence of our tax credits - I was not at home and so OH couldn't find the evidence till I got home. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the company didn't leave any documentation or anything and whilst they have a webpage detailing their property business and energy business, there is little info. I felt a little suspicious - shouldn't they have left us at least a leaflet or something, or am I just being over cautious? Would they be able to scam us with copies of our benefits info? As I say, I may just be being paranoid because they are not a 'big' company.

    I wonder if there is any way of checking the company is legit. It does come up on that company checker site, but I don't know if that means anything.

    Hi,

    Unfortunately the world and his wife has jumped on this scheme and there are a lot of companies offering to do the work, some as in all things are better than others, I have come across people who have had 5 or 6 different companies take their information (that bit is necessary BTW) but have not heard anything since. Really it is just a case of find a good one, I would say from my experience however if you find a local gas boiler fitter that is part of the scheme, they are more likely to get the boiler done, as that is when they get paid. Just my observation having recently moved from a National EPC provider doing ECO surveys to a local gas fitter. Hope this helps.
  • GDADEAGDADEA Forumite
    18 posts
    GDA/DEA wrote: »
    Sorry, I am confused, I intentionally made no mention of who I work for, I only joined as I read the guidance and comments on here and it seemed to show people could only get the boilers via the big 6 energy companies, which is incorrect. What link are you referring to? I will remove it, definitely was not intentional.

    Aha!! I just realised what link now, (it asks for your website so I put it!) I have removed it from my profile. That explains why you called me Nigel, I am Dean, website not updated yet to reflect new assessor.:beer:
  • GDADEAGDADEA Forumite
    18 posts
    CGG wrote: »
    I just spoke with EDF about my ECO boiler application as I hadn't heard anything from them since I applied online on 4.7.13. I have been told that the scheme isn't yet up and running (?) and that they expect it to be much later this year when I may hear back from them (?) I was given an ECO Application No - and a direct telephone no, 0800 0968634 to call for intermittant updates on my application.
    Does this make sense to anyone? - I thought the boilers were being replaced, well, like, ..now?

    I'd say they mean their scheme isn't up and running, the ECO scheme is up and running for sure! :)
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    GDA/DEA wrote: »
    Aha!! I just realised what link now, (it asks for your website so I put it!) I have removed it from my profile. That explains why you called me Nigel, I am Dean, website not updated yet to reflect new assessor.:beer:

    Thanks Dean, and welcome to MSE.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support