Easylife73’s looong journey to…well…hopefully an easy life!

Comments

• easylife73
    easylife73 Posts: 332
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Katzen :wave:

I do budget for Christmas, and manage to stick to it for most people, but it all goes to pieces with the kids! Just can't seem to stop myself buying things for them if I see something that I think they'll like...not to mention the fact that they both have a serious Lego addiction! To be fair, they're much more sensible than me...a few years ago DS1's Christmas list consisted of just two items...cake and butter :rotfl:
  • easylife73
    Forumite
    Payday :j

I've moved the £150 "pretend" mortgage money to the savings account, and OPed by £12.50, which is my tiny monthly pay increase of £11.00 plus the £1.50 Quidco money that appeared this morning. Tiny baby steps obviously, but hopefully in the right direction! Might make another small OP on Sunday of the Save the Change money that has been transferred to savings by the bank this month.

Have a good weekend anyone who is reading...we're off to a wedding so hopefully will have fun :beer:
  • frugalfrog
    frugalfrog Posts: 275
    Forumite
    Hi just an idea but have you thought about the 0% credit card option for the home improvements. There are some that offer 0% for two years depending on your credit score. It depends on you figures, how much credit you can get, but its sometimes a free way to borrow money. Make sure its paid off or transferred by end of free offer. there are loads of info on this site about it
    Mtg May 2011 - £127,500/825610% CC - £2211/2211Argos Card 0% - £253.95/208.95
  • easylife73
    Forumite
    Hi Frugalfrog, might be an option for at least some of the money, but DH is nervous in case we (by which I mean me, obviously!) forget to transfer at the end of the deal period. B/Soc might not lend us the full amount so might look at financing the shortfall this way. Thanks for the info :)
  • easylife73
    Forumite
    Well, back from by brother's wedding, which was lovely...setting was gorgeous and luckily the weather improved for them. As expected, it was an expensive weekend...had forgotten that we needed to pay for parking at the hotel, so that was £24 i wasn't expecting, but this was offset by me deciding to drive back from the venue rather than getting a taxi,so not too bad on balance.

DH on the other hand managed to drink a vast amount of alcohol, which added up to a fair bit, despite a lot of the drink being provided free...a bit cross as I had specifically asked him to go steady if I was driving back as I didn't know where I was going :mad: Luckily I have a very sensible DS1 who despite being only 12 did a sterling job of (a) staying awake even though it was 1am by this point, and (b) interpreting the mad ramblings of our ancient satnav, which seemed hellbent on taking us to Heathrow regardless of where we actually wanted to go :rotfl: DH managed to wake up enough to exit the car and get himself back to the room, where he promptly passed out on the bed. Kids were just nodding off when he rolled over and straight off the bed onto the floor, then spent the next five minutes giggling about it. He has redeemed himself a little this morning by taking over because I had a migraine...how unfair is it that he drinks himself silly and I'm the one that's ill the next day though?

Anyway, onto matters MSE...
    • Brother's wedding has made it clear to us that our satnav is basically rubbish...so we will be using our CP & Nectar points to get a new one, that actually recognises major motorways and doesn't have a fascination with airports
    • Have sold three items on eBay, two for 99p and one for £34, so once I have the payments these will be used to OP
    • Have OPed the Save the Change money for June which came to £5.75
    • Found a bag of coppers in the drawer which came to £2.66 - I will take this in to work tomorrow and change it into proper money and will probably make an OP of the same amount

So, in June I have OPed by £70.75 :eek: I guess it's true what they say...every little helps and it soon adds up :T
  • easylife73
    Forumite
    OPed by a total of £33.40 - £30.74 from eBay sales and the £2.66 loose change found in a drawer.

Tried to show DH the effect of my OPs so far on the spreadsheet but he wasn't remotely interested, despite it having knocked nearly 2 months off our smallest mortgage :(
  • easylife73
    Forumite
    Have OPed a further £12.44 yesterday, which was made up of bank interest, Quidco & a small online bingo win...just to clarify, I don't really play online bingo, as I am utterly rubbish at bingo and always have been. However, there was a cashback deal to join one of the sites where you only had to deposit & play £10 to get £40 cashback, which seemed easy enough. So I played through my £10 and actually managed to win a bit! Wasn't sure whether I'd be able to withdraw it as I'd also had some bonus funds added but it has happily withdrawn to my card, so all is good. Carried on playing through the bonus funds and the real money, and won again with my very last cards...so have a further £14 or so to withdraw. I've left it where it is for now though as I've had to raise a claim for the initial cashback. Even if that doesn't come through I have been lucky and will be £20 or so up, so quite happy with that. Will probably join one of the other bingo sites later, again for the cashback on offer.

Our £60 of vouchers have arrived from CP, which we will be using to buy a new satnav following last weekends debacle...hopefully the full cost will be covered by these and the Nectar points we have available, so it will in effect be free. In the past we have used a combination of CP vouchers and Nectar points to buy for free our camcorder, two laptops, washing machine and tumble dryer, so it has become a family tradition to fund electrical items this way now!!

Plan for the weekend now is to:
    • Tidy the house a bit, as I've had a really busy week at work and it is starting to show!
    • Sort out enormous pile of paperwork and file it away properly...this has really been allowed to slide this year but I can no longer shut the drawer so it will have to be done!
    • Do a few hours of work that I have had to bring home just to keep my head above water...I work in a school and have looked at how much work I have to do before we break up in two weeks time and had a small panic!
    • [STRIKE]Make[/STRIKE] encourage DS2 to do some 11+ preparation
    • [STRIKE]Make[/STRIKE] encourage DS1 to do some homework
    • Do all the washing and ironing
    • Sit in the garden with a glass of Pimms in hand :beer: (well I can dream...)

Have a lovely weekend all!
  • easylife73
    Forumite
    Didn't quite achieve all I set out to, but a small improvement is better than no improvement at all...

Tidy the house a bit, as I've had a really busy week at work and it is starting to show! Managed to tidy the living room but not quite made it round the rest of the house yet!
    Sort out enormous pile of paperwork and file it away properly...this has really been allowed to slide this year but I can no longer shut the drawer so it will have to be done! Done
    Do a few hours of work that I have had to bring home just to keep my head above water...I work in a school and have looked at how much work I have to do before we break up in two weeks time and had a small panic! Done, although still loads more to do...work is crazy at the minute
    Make encourage DS2 to do some 11+ preparation One test paper done :j
    Make encourage DS1 to do some homework One lot of English homework done...eventually
    Do all the washing and ironing Washing done but ironing still waiting...
    Sit in the garden with a glass of Pimms in hand Did sit in the garden for an hour, trying to lay down a base coat on my skin, but despite no suncream I haven't changed colour even slightly :mad:

Also went to DS1's prizegiving at school as he had been awarded the year prize for German and a Gold Maths Award :T

Have today OPed £4.65 from another small bingo win :j
  • easylife73
    Forumite
    OPed by £3 yesterday as I'd had a Paypal transfer from a survey site.

Realised I'd forgotten to get the dog vaccinated, so need to book him into the vet's asap...luckily this doesn't cost us anything as he is a stud dog for a well known charity so all of his costs are met whilst he is classed as "working".

Mum's 60th birthday tomorrow so I will be spending this evening making sandwiches apparently, and trying to organise mature party games...any ideas gratefully received!
  • easylife73
    Forumite
    OPed another £19.91 from bingo wins which resulted from playing through a minimum amount to qualify for cashback.

On the down side, just spent £90 on an overnight hotel to go and visit mother-in-law in a couple of weeks time as she's had an operation. Did do it through Quidco and will probably use the Halifax switching incentive to pay for it, so hopefully it will just be the cost of the petrol.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback