We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream thread... without the rose-tinted specs

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The dwarf room looks small, so maybe they just raised the floor to reduce the height and make it proportionally better?

Guessing really! :o
  • Davesnave
    A piece of good news:

DD2 got a 2:1:j It was either going to be that or a first, but I expect they had to mark her down a bit for the dyslexic written work. I wouldn't argue with that either. :)
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well done DD2.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • ferretkeeper
    ferretkeeper Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post
    rozeepozee wrote: »
    Insulation is our main thing, it's a no-brainer. Although we have had issues finding someone to come out to our far flung part of West Wales to install the external stuff we want.

Hi Rozee, did you get it done? I don't know what is going on here, maybe a local regeneration thing but people are getting that external insulation put on literally everywhere in our area, never seen anything like it! It's all free, or very cheap, people are walking round with clipboards touting for work - wonder why they didn't ask me???

We were advised by an eco-industry self build type expert to have this fitted but the builder who came to re-render our house was against it, he had done similar work for the council but soon stopped. He reckoned the outer shell was so fragile and the finish damaged very easily, anyone know if that's the case?

We had cavity wall insulation done, also cheap, at the same time as re-rendering and cavity wall tie replacement/crack stitching on corners. I made a point of getting our builder to clear the cavity first and sleeve any air bricks; I knew we had damp in the house before and we'll have to re-do the plaster inside eventually but the company doing the insulation weren't concerned about the poor state of the render or clearing the cavity - hence so many people's damp problems get worse after insulating the cavity - chancers the lot!

I'm still convinced passive solar is the way to warm our house just don't know how to apply the principles - if we ever get to build our extension it'll be straw bales, all west/south west aspects glazed with those slatted sun shade thingies or pergolas with climbing plants for summer shade. Dream on!
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,733 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    OOh Cogratulations to Daves DD. Poor DS1 got knocked out the shearing competition, I don't think he's too bothered as he text back to say it wasy beer o'clock and that was at 2.45! Not sure he'll remember the rest of the weekend!
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well done mr & Mrs Davesnave Daughter:beer::beer::beer: I bet you are beaming from ear to ear

Luceille.... I allways feel you are a winner by taking part....sounds as though he is having a good time:D

Just having a cuppa, before going up the ranch for the weekend..

little piggies have now surcumbed to the belly rub:D, :D its sooooo funny when they go into a trance..

FK is your pig food nuts or mix??? I did have a company details that done a mix, that was a good price, but I lost it:cool:, it was sold by the builder's type bag full, rather than the 20 - 25 kg bag
    Work to live= not live to work
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    totally agree with not looking back, when we were looking for there was an old farm house with 5 acres which according to the details needed a lot of work, and a 4x4 to get to it, as you had to go off the mountain road via a field to get to it, at the time it was approx. 8k more than our house, we went to go and have a look at finding it, but couldn't, so we didn't bother asking the estate agents for a viewing:o:o in hindsight, we should have, and possibly struggled a bit financially at the time.. that was 19 years ago, it was priced at 30k:cool::cool:
    Hehe, we are hoping that we have done what you describe you now think you might have done - only 19 years later and add a zero to the 30K (and some....)

We can't help but continue to look at what's available as we are so nosey, but in the years since we started looking (2006) we haven't seen anything else we wish we'd bought or since would have liked to buy. We are stretching ourselves financially and hope that we will look back in 20 years and think that it was all worth while. It certainly feels that way now. I think it's why I'm so laid back about any rising costs. We really love living here and are very happy with our lot.
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi Rozee, did you get it done? I don't know what is going on here, maybe a local regeneration thing but people are getting that external insulation put on literally everywhere in our area, never seen anything like it! It's all free, or very cheap, people are walking round with clipboards touting for work - wonder why they didn't ask me???

We were advised by an eco-industry self build type expert to have this fitted but the builder who came to re-render our house was against it, he had done similar work for the council but soon stopped. He reckoned the outer shell was so fragile and the finish damaged very easily, anyone know if that's the case?

We had cavity wall insulation done, also cheap, at the same time as re-rendering and cavity wall tie replacement/crack stitching on corners. I made a point of getting our builder to clear the cavity first and sleeve any air bricks; I knew we had damp in the house before and we'll have to re-do the plaster inside eventually but the company doing the insulation weren't concerned about the poor state of the render or clearing the cavity - hence so many people's damp problems get worse after insulating the cavity - chancers the lot!

I'm still convinced passive solar is the way to warm our house just don't know how to apply the principles - if we ever get to build our extension it'll be straw bales, all west/south west aspects glazed with those slatted sun shade thingies or pergolas with climbing plants for summer shade. Dream on!
    Cor, I wish we were you lived. No, we haven't yet had a quote but our main contractor is probably going to go on the course.

Yes, the downside is it can be damaged, but I think it's a case of how you treat it and it can be repaired. Not only does it act as an insulator, but also a thermal store. And since we have a large amount of glass facing south and south west once the build is complete, we will benefit from the passive solar heat circulating through the house from early morning through to evening. That's the theory....
  • Davesnave
    CTC put that brilliantly, saying lucielle's DS won by taking part. So right. If youngsters have an interest they can follow up career wise, it's half the battle. Young people's wages aren't usually much incentive on their own. :(

Went for a few hours fishing on the river tonight, but it's very low.
    It still seemed the best option, looking at the weekend forecast!
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So this is where you all went to eh?

Your piggies look wonderful CTC. I am tempted. Your roses look lovely too LIR.

Think I've caught up with posts but forgive me as it was a fast read through.

One of my elderly cats Weemon ( who weighed 7KG) had a lump on his face that looked like a bite. It wasn't. It was a very aggressive tumour & we had him put to sleep while he was still under the anesthetic. He was about 21 years old & a massive character in more ways than one. The caravan seems very quiet.

It's been very dank & midgey weather where you can't be outside with any flesh exposed. Even dodging out to the shed where the fridge is is fraught.

That colour of green LIR we had that in a previous place on T&G with white eggshell doors & skirtings. It's a nice shade.

We hope to get the roof fully finished soon - either this week or next.

We have some work coming in & exciting jobs - one on an island that we were at this week, so that's a good thing as it's been a skint time with little happening.

Alfie if you come to Scotland we will meet up. Hope your balance thing is getting seen to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure