PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Shoey1610
    Shoey1610 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    My new month starts on Thursday and this will be my first proper whole month grocery challenge and I'm hoping to continue some good habits I've been trying to get into.

Could you put me down for £250 for the month please?
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We came back from holiday yesterday and instead of rushing off to mr s to buy the usual have decided to have a use up what we have in the cupboards and freezer. I listed it all today and there is loads. So far this weeks shopping list consists of cheese:)

Please can you put me down for £100 from tomorrow until 21st August. Thanks.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Sweetie83
    Sweetie83 Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Please can you put me down for £210. So close I reckon I can do it but then it is the summer holidays so then maybe not!!

Decreasing costs thanks to shopping mainly at Iceland. I work in defence so have a £5 card that entitles me to 10% off all my shop!!yay! Other bits I get in Tesco or Lidl.

Thanks to everyone for their help and support.

xx
    DH, 2 DD and 2 cats. aiming to be mortgage free at 50...10 years to go eek! Feb 19 £358kJan 21 £283K (using savings)July 22 £246K down to 17 year termMay 23. £204 down to 13.10 year term
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all

Still to tot up what we spent it July (a massive pile of receipts makes me think we didn't make our £250 target but I will report on that thread later) but I'd like to go for £250 again in August please.

We are going to be using a lot of Jack Monroe's recipes to see how much that gets our bill down by. Quite looking forward to it!
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • GCLR263
    Options
    Hi all, Can I join in please?
    I am going to aim for £120 for the month of August.
  • pixiedust09
    pixiedust09 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Count me in again for August please with a budget of £250 starting on 29th July. Will try and stay under budget this month. :o
    MFW 142- Oct 1999 £55,0000, Jul 2013 £27,593.17 Oct 2013 £26,531, Dec 2014 £22,600, Dec 2015 £20,190, Jan 2016 £19,944.19 Mar 2017 £16,944.76 Decluttered 207/2018
    Smile it confuses people :)
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello :)

I am still over on July but I would like to get myself organised for August as the kids being at home is going to throw things if I don't plan ahead.
    Our August GC will be a four week month and I am going to try for £140 this is for two adults, two kids and a cat and needs to include everything.
    See you over here very soon:)

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • citygirl40
    citygirl40 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great to find this thread. I know August is a challenging month with school holidays but I'm determined to get my food budget down. In July I discovered mysupermarket.com and couponing and although I spent the usual food budget, I am beginning August with a full freezer and cupboards. I am also making my own bread thanks to a bargain £3 breadmaker from the car boot :j

Could you please put me down for £300 this month. Thank you x

August grocery challenge £60.23/£300

Week 1 60.23/60:)
    Week 2 77.81/60 :mad:
    Week 3 15.48/41.96
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    citygirl40 wrote: »
    Great to find this thread. I know August is a challenging month with school holidays but I'm determined to get my food budget down. In July I discovered mysupermarket.com and couponing and although I spent the usual food budget, I am beginning August with a full freezer and cupboards. I am also making my own bread thanks to a bargain £3 breadmaker from the car boot :j

Could you please put me down for £300 this month. Thank you x

Your breadmaker was a real bargain glad you are pleased with it.

My first one was from the carboot 5.00 and now I would be lost without one. I have arthritus in my hands and cannot kneed dough like I used to,so its a real boon to have a machine to do this for me.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have roasted one of the half price chickens I got a couple of weeks ago in Aldi and am having a play to see how far I can stretch.

I really cant beleive I used to eat so much meat. I would eat a whole chicken breast for one meal. Then I discovered I could stretch it for 2.
    I just used the meat slicer and sliced up the two breasts. It has made
    4 portions. 2 for roast dinner, 2 for salad and theres enough for 4 chicken salad baps. So 8 meals when previously I would only have had two.

Going to see what I can do the the rest of the chicken. I really enjoy doing this.
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport