PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I seem to have spent a fortune already and my month goes to the 19th August - so there's a long way to go. I signed up to the waitrose offer of money off the first 5 spends, but seemed to spend for the sake of it to make up my spend to the £75 level, which I regret. I have a LOT of food in now though so am still hopeful of making it on track.
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For dinner we had HM Egg/Bacon Pie + roasted Butternut Squash and salad.
    I made some of JJ's Herby Cheese Bread tonight.

[IMG][/img]Sundaysdinner_zps8a565646.jpg

[IMG][/img]JJsHerbyCheeseBread_zps5bb55346.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/378
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 78
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • Yazhini26
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Welcome to MSE, Yazhini :) And also welcome to the GC! Good luck :)

Thanks WantToBeSE! :) Looking forward to the challenge.
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Welsh_Poppy Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    Morning Can we be put down again For £100

Onwards and upwards to a new month and a fresh budget:T
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • Sunshine4
    Sunshine4 Posts: 236 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I would love to join you all.
    They is only the two of us so could you put me down for Aug
    starting today 29th July
    £130

I am going to read from the start to get some ideas.

Thanks Denise
    C.R.A.P. R.O.O.L.Z. Member. 21 Norn Iron deputy h
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all! My August starts on the first but in preparation I've done an online shop, then copied it all onto paper (so I know exactly what I'll be spending!), have arranged for my Dad who is off work to pick me up from Mr T post-shop (hubby will be at work and I don't drive) saving me delivery AND ensuring I can use my £5 off helping hand voucher.

It's a start.....
    Determined to get back into a better budget!
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • medsdemon
    medsdemon Posts: 761 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all.
    Planning a NSD today ( in fact a NS week!!). Am going to trawl for new MS recipes as we seem to cook the same things all the time atm and maybe nip to the library for some "new" books to read. Have flapjack cooking in the oven already using up bits from the storecupboard. I think since I'm home and not working I will cook the curry I had planned for tomorrow today and then I will have time to make HM bhajis and save the lentil bolegnese I batch cooked yesterday for a day when I'm working. Since DD is away on hols for 10 days I think we will have more willpower not to shop and to try and save for a good holiday for us next year.
    Oh and am also going to try and make Peapod and mint soup - it seems such a shame to throw them out.

Have a good day
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello:)

A couple of small spends yesterday and this morning on squash, sparkling water, antiperspirant and oven cleaner. Total spend was £2.95.
    Will be stocking the freezer with my second Aldi voucher this week but I am then hoping to get by with small top up shops. I have chosen this month to try and hit my GC goal of £35 a week which given that it is the school holidays and I've done an AF order is looking a bit ambitious. I have been working towards this goal since last October and I am closer than I ever thought possible. I can't believe what we used to spend:eek:
    Still feel elated when we get to the end of the month with money left in the bank:j

PPXx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • girlatplay
    girlatplay Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well I have just found out that I have been booked in for an operation on 28th August (I knew it was coming but just didn't know when). That is absolutely perfect as my August month is running to 27th! I won't be able to join in in September because of it but at least I can get some planning underway for October when I am back on my feet. In the meantime, I am prepping ready for starting August on Wednesday and very much looking forward to getting started.

Just wanted to say, I tried the soda bread recipe by A Girl Called Jack. Now, as a cook, I am not bad, however, as a baker, I am rubbish! I really didn't hold out much hope for a loaf of bread, especially when I think I overdid the milk as it was really sticky and I had no bicarb of soda so used baking powder instead. Anyway, it was brilliant! It was only a tiny loaf but my sister (the fussiest eater I have ever met in my life) liked it so much she wanted a 2nd piece!! I will definitely be making that again. Soooo simple, quick, easy and cheap to make. I can't substitute a shop loaf for it just yet but I could certainly substitue a french stick for it :)
    Mortgage at 12/07/2022 = £175,000
    Mortgage today = £166,457.86
    300 282 payments to go.
    House buyout fund £3,261.67/£40,000
    Random Pick Fridays = £80.01
  • Gorgeestwo
    Gorgeestwo Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, going to start August now, have had an Asda delivery this morning to get the £11 cashback through quidco offer and spent £62.45.
    Please could I be put down for £300 for August, not sure how close I'll get as the kids are off but we'll see :)
    Good luck everyone :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport