Contactless Credit Card from Cap One

Options
Simon7685
Simon7685 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
I have just received my new Capital One Progress card and it is a contactless one. After all the bad press recently regarding contactless, can you opt out of it and ask for it not to be activated or something. Or is it just a case of having to put up with it and accept it is the way things are going?

Comments

• reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    Simon7685 wrote: »
    I have just received my new Capital One Progress card and it is a contactless one. After all the bad press recently regarding contactless, can you opt out of it and ask for it not to be activated or something. Or is it just a case of having to put up with it and accept it is the way things are going?

It is a case with putting up with it. To be honest the problems are over hyped. There are over 25 million contactless cards in the UK and there are a couple of problems a day when not following instructions. (I.e. Taking out the oyster card of wallet rather than tapping wallet on reader).

Also some car parks are replacing machines with contactless readers (But no chip readers) so there are some places you can only use card if it is contactless. Some Vending machines are now also contactless enabled.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Very convenient piece of kit. Wouldn't be without it.
  • Simon7685
    Simon7685 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just don't fancy paying for someone elses sandwich or whatever if they are in front of me and I happen to have my wallet out getting ready to pay, or is that unlikely to happen??

I have to admit I don't know a lot about contactless technology but some what I have read has really put me off. If there was a problem and my card was charged for someone else stuff, how on earth can you prove it wasn't your purchase?
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    unless you start waving your wallet very close to the reader then its unlikly to happen so they only work in close proximity of about 2in
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ... Or is it just a case of having to put up with it and accept it is the way things are going?

Apparently, banks are determined to force this insecure form of payment on us. However, if enough people kick up enough fuss, they will have to re-evaluate their position. Even if they wont change the card, I would write to head office specifically stating your concerns and that you will therefore not be using the wretched thing as you cannot take it out of the house.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • reclusive46
    Options
    I just don't fancy paying for someone elses sandwich or whatever if they are in front of me and I happen to have my wallet out getting ready to pay, or is that unlikely to happen??

I have to admit I don't know a lot about contactless technology but some what I have read has really put me off. If there was a problem and my card was charged for someone else stuff, how on earth can you prove it wasn't your purchase?

When did you ever hear anything good about anything in the media? :P

One of the other posters is accurate though, unless your going to specifically tap your card onto someone else's reader at the precise time the contactless button has been pressed, its very unlikely :P
  • gusgorman
    gusgorman Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    It is a case with putting up with it. To be honest the problems are over hyped. There are over 25 million contactless cards in the UK and there are a couple of problems a day when not following instructions. (I.e. Taking out the oyster card of wallet rather than tapping wallet on reader).

Also some car parks are replacing machines with contactless readers (But no chip readers) so there are some places you can only use card if it is contactless. Some Vending machines are now also contactless enabled.

Hi Simon,

For some reason reclusive46 is desperate to convince people that contactless is ok.

Some banks are still letting people opt out, so it is worth asking. If they won't let you opt out, then consider moving to a bank that will.
  • reclusive46
    Options
    gusgorman wrote: »
    Hi Simon,

For some reason reclusive46 is desperate to convince people that contactless is ok.

Some banks are still letting people opt out, so it is worth asking. If they won't let you opt out, then consider moving to a bank that will.
    Not desperate, but you make it sound like contactless a haven for fraud, cards have been enabled with it for several years with no issues and at the end of the day your not liable for fraudulent transactions anyway.

The card issuer has to prove you made the transaction if fraud is present, which is near impossible for them to do, even if you did make the transaction.
  • gusgorman
    gusgorman Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    This has been answered several times before but you keep ignoring it.
    Not desperate, but you make it sound like contactless a haven for fraud, cards have been enabled with it for several years with no issues.

With any new technology there will be a delay until fraudsters take advantage of it. Just because there haven't been many issues yet, it doesn't mean there won't be more in the future.

And anyway, there have been plenty enough problems with oyster cards, people accidentally paying with the wrong card etc already.
    and at the end of the day your not liable for fraudulent transactions anyway.

The card issuer has to prove you made the transaction if fraud is present, which is near impossible for them to do, even if you did make the transaction.
    But the onus is still on the card holder to spot and report the fraud.

If someone wants to use contactless, then it makes sense for them to accept the risks involved with having the feature on their card.

On the other hand, if someone doesn't want to use contactless, then it makes no sense whatsover for them to have the feature on their card, however small or large the risks might be. Therefore the sensible thing for them to do is carry a non-contactless card.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder how long before some device appears on ebay that can zap the contactless chip? hope so!

I don't want it because it makes stealing a card more attractive, even if I am not liable I don't want to be mugged or more likely pick pocketed for it.

I know the transaction amount is limited but the low life's will soon work out how to take the best advantage of it.

I don't want to be lying up some alley with my head caved in while some scumbag stocks up on a years supply of Paninis and Latte! (and God knows what else across the city)
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure