British Gas Compensation?

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Interestingly, there seem to be a few new forum users signing up just to post their support for the thread topic.
    So, not just two threads...
  • kimkahily
    kimkahily Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    So! Got a problem with that?
  • kimkahily
    kimkahily Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    No it's not good enough, hope you get it sorted soon.

I'm only asking for compensation or a goodwill gesture due to having to pay for the BG service in the first place as well as having to have 2 days off work because of it. Not too much to ask considering they created the problem in the first place. I don't think big companies that BG should be allowed to just sweep their mistakes under the carpet. In the meantime for all those posting nasty comments I have now an open case with the Gas Safe charity.. they don't think being left with a gas leak is nothing.
  • ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    There will already be plenty going on behind the scenes withe the business and the engineer. If he retains his job there will be an enormous amount of checking all his jobs for the previous few weeks and monitoring of him for a good future period to see if it's a knowledge issue or skills. There will be retraining if it's required.
    There may be a small good will gesture due but there is no guidance on it.
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Options
    Do you submit monthly gas readings? Why not check your gas meter to try to quantify how much additional gas has been used in the property which it was able to leak? Maybe a claim for a credit for 'loss of metered supply'.. Maybe ask that when they do attempt remedial work that the first thing they advise (by way of some kind of measure \ meter is to show what rate the leak is at)...

The Potention impact is difficult to quantify afterall where would the claim trail end - you, neighbours, whole street..

Residual gas smell, ok buy that for 15/30minutes,, but if hours later then its a sign that either hasnt been ventilated enough or continuing leak.. I certainly wouldnt have just gone to bed thinking all ok / would have raised it with them again.. think all of us have a duty of care in that scenario and not just assume...
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Op companys don't just get rid of engineers, and as others have said the safety advice given by national grid is standard and given on EVERY call
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Pablo202
    Options
    So, after the problem I had another engineer arrived this morning nice and early. The engineer soon found the problem and fixed it. Apologies for the mistake and another full test and service of the back boiler and fire. A manager of British gas rang and offered his apologies and sorry that they hadn't called back the same day. I think he sounded sincere and sorry for the way it had been handled. I know some of you may say that he would sound like that, but I think the people on the ground or in the field must know what it's like in the real world. They have agreed to pay a goodwill gesture, which isn't a great amount but its not the point. I wanted to get my point across and talk to someone who would understand and not fob me off. I was told the engineer had been taken off his servicing duties until it had been investigated. I did say that I hoped it wouldn't mean that he would be asked to leave, but would require more training. I really believe that he would have learned a hard lesson. Nothing bad did actually happen. I know it could have done, but it didn't. I don't think he deserves to get the boot. He'll have to think about what he did and what could have happened, every time he does a service. I think, rightly or wrongly, that's plenty enough for me. It's not what everyone will think.......(not that bothered really) but that's how it is. As ollski said, there's plenty going on behind the scenes.

I was upset that no-one called the same day and the manager said he'd like to change that and really that is the ideal. I know the engineer will be sorry and the manager sounded most sincere. Will it change anything? We can only hope........but I doubt it!
  • cing0
    cing0 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the BG engineer did the work as part of a homecare service contract (insurance) then the compensation is 3 months worth of cover if you complain - if it was, you can threaten them with the FOS.

[
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport