British Gas Compensation?

Options
kimkahily
kimkahily Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi all.
Wondering if anyone has any advice.

I recently had a British Gas engineer incorrectly cap my gas cooker pipe, leaving a unbeknown to me a gas leak for over 24 hours. As soon as I realised something wasn't right I immediatley called BG and they advised me to turn off the gas at the mains, open all windows and get any young people out of the house.

In the mean time I emailed a complaint to BG whereby a BG manager and an engineer came today to see what exactly had happened and take a statement. The problem was fixed after 24 hours when aNational Grid engineer came out. This engineer told me that yes there was a gas leak coming from the 'capped' cooker pipe and the reason for this is that the BG engineer had used the wrong sized cap, one to small, hence the leak.

During the interview with the BG manager today as she took down all the details and apologised for the 'human error' and told me how the poor engineer now has the risk of losing his job but sometimes there things happen. My partner was fuming that she had more sympathy with the incompetant engineer and just offered us an apology. My partner asked the manager about compensation for the worry we went through, and the very dangerous situation we were living under with a 24 unbeknown to us gas leak. Do we have a case for compensation and what kind of figure should we be looking at?
The manager seemed a little annoyed at the question of compensation and asked us what we were thinking of we stated that how much value do they place on human life. We were and our neighbours and possibly street were in danger had we not of noticed it as soon as we did. What kind of case do we have if any?

Thanks

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    nothing happened so no loss, op life aint about compo
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    kimkahily wrote: »
    Hi all.

I recently had a British Gas engineer incorrectly cap my gas cooker pipe, leaving a unbeknown to me a gas leak for over 24 hours. As soon as I realised something wasn't right I immediatley called BG and they advised me to turn off the gas at the mains, open all windows and get any young people out of the house.

In the mean time I emailed a complaint to BG whereby a BG manager and an engineer came today to see what exactly had happened and take a statement. The problem was fixed after 24 hours when aNational Grid engineer came out. This engineer told me that yes there was a gas leak coming from the 'capped' cooker pipe and the reason for this is that the BG engineer had used the wrong sized cap, one to small, hence the leak.

During the interview with the BG manager today as she took down all the details and apologised for the 'human error' and told me how the poor engineer now has the risk of losing his job but sometimes there things happen. My partner was fuming that she had more sympathy with the incompetant engineer and just offered us an apology. My partner asked the manager about compensation for the worry we went through, and the very dangerous situation we were living under with a 24 unbeknown to us gas leak. Do we have a case for compensation and what kind of figure should we be looking at?
    The manager seemed a little annoyed at the question of compensation and asked us what we were thinking of we stated that how much value do they place on human life. We were and our neighbours and possibly street were in danger had we not of noticed it as soon as we did. What kind of case do we have if any?

Thanks
    If the gas leak was unbeknown to you, how did you realise you had a gas leak? :huh:

Even the tiniest of gas leaks leaves a very noticable smell.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    Nobody else notice the similarity between this thread and a similar one posted earlier supposedly by another poster?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4634619&highlight=

I find it alarming that someone who had a minor gas leak is so obsessed with a compensation payment.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    gassafetycode.gif
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If i had been the "incompetent engineer" i would have maintained that there was no leak on my departure.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • kimkahily
    Options
    Well thanks people for all your unhelpful and nasty comments! Here's hoping you don't have to wake up to a gas leak due to somebody not being able to due their job right.

And I hope that if you have a baby in house like we have, that this doesn't happen to you..because it was worrying!!!

These companies earn ££££££££ in profit per year from me and you and I'm supposed to just take it on the chin and roll over and go ' no worries, you send people who can't do their job'. I'm not paying for that! If I delivered a bad service at work I would expect the same result, why not anybody else.
  • kimkahily
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    If the gas leak was unbeknown to you, how did you realise you had a gas leak? :huh:

Because we were told there may be a slight residual smell of gas so went to bed not knowing it was an actual leak.
  • kimkahily
    Options
    I find it alarming that someone who had a minor gas leak is so obsessed with a compensation payment.[/QUOTE]

Err the National Grid and BG didn't see it as a minor leak. We were told to open all windows and doors, switch of gas mains, don't switch any appliances on and get out of the house!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We were told to open all windows and doors, switch of gas mains, don't switch any appliances on and get out of the house!
    Since they give this advice to anyone complaining of a smell of gas, it's no indication of the severity of the leak.
    Contact a solicitor, he or she will inform you that you cannot sue for what might have happened.
  • Pablo202
    Pablo202 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 4 June 2013 at 11:27PM
    Options
    Hi,

This very day, roughly the same thing has just happened to us. We are in the process of complaining. The networks people have capped off the supply because of it and lovely British gas can't send anyone until the morning to sort out what they caused. It maybe the same engineer!!! Yeah, you think? Not in my house!!!! I'll let you know how things proceed. I'm not too fussed about compensation....just sort it quickly with good customer service would be a start......but they can't even do that right. It's not good enough is it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure