Great 'Dads, what would you like for Father’s Day?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• crimson.addict
    crimson.addict Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Regrettably, in this age of rampant materialism and debt, it still seems that money far too often wins out over thoughtfulness. :(

After all, it is much easier to spend money and send/give a present than it is to engage brain and realise that what most parents **really want** and, indeed, need from their children is quality time spent with them.

We know our stories are frequently boring and full of repetition but it's the sharing of time that's the real joy along with the groans (real or feigned) when we reach the story's punchline.

Children grow up and move away, mentally as well as physically (even when they still live at home), meals are seldom shared, time is seldom shared and so real time spent together becomes more and more precious.

My message to all children is please spend quality time with your (grand)parents, they need and want it far more than you may realise.

I moved out around 4 years ago but I spend every evening with my parents and most weekends and either my mum cooks us dinner or i pay for us to go out. My daddy can tell me stories over and over and it's only my mum that sometimes tells him he's already told me a million times.

My point, spending time won't cut it as a present as they see me daily anyway haha.
    AngelsMadv wrote: »
    JohnnyK - I hope you get what you want. Hopefully in time your children will grow to understand just what their mum was playing at.

As for presents - Basically anything consumable. Dads (or at least mine, me and freinds - I run a Dads' charity) all want something we can use.

1) Fishing stuff;
    2) Beer;
    3) Alcohol gift sets;
    4) B&Q voucher;
    5) Lynx Gift set;
    6) Rechargeable Batteries - good ones!
    7) Boxes of our favourite chocolates;
    8) Rib Eye Steak (cooked if from OH or DD);

Don't buy us anything that means work - i.e. DIY stuff or paintbrushes!

But, to top it all, my current passion, the OH has bought me Skylanders this year! I can't wait to unwrap them :D

My daddy would not like any of those things :( Last year (or the year before) i got him a wheelbarrow as that's what he wanted and he loves it.

I keep telling him he needs to hurry up and brake something so that i can replace it for fathers day! Although i wont see him this year, he's going on a 100 mile drive in an old MG so maybe i'll get to see him when i rescue him if the car is broken down haha

Good luck to everyone who's dad already has everything x
    Sealed Pot Challenge member #071 VSP #4
    £723.44(SPC5) - £753.77(SPC6) - £857.19(SPC7) - £1,632.19(SPC8) - £2,707.15(SPC9) - £2,950.30(SPC10) - £0(SPC11)...so far

I love LC2 and Jakes-Mum :rotfl:
    Star's from Sue :staradmin x28
    CC Debt
    - £2,927.14 Savings - EF - £4,797.21/£5,000 - H2B - £4,691.03/£12,000
  • roddycam
    roddycam Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    BodyShop men's travel kit, about £14, best stuff I've used
  • mrweeble
    mrweeble Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    I keep telling him he needs to hurry up and brake something so that i can replace it for fathers day! Although i wont see him this year, he's going on a 100 mile drive in an old MG so maybe i'll get to see him when i rescue him if the car is broken down haha

Maybe you could get him AA/RAC membership then :)
  • MerlinMags
    MerlinMags Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Most important: A lie in. Past 9am.
    Gifts: Tons of chocolate
  • Billy_Petrolle
    Billy_Petrolle Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 6 June 2013 at 12:39AM
    Options
    For Fathers' Day I'd like my daughter to mend all the fences she's broken these past eleven years and to treat me with at least friendship. Maybe even get in touch.

I can't see it happening. I can't remember when she last observed FD either.

So I'll treat myself!
  • Springboard
    Options
    My daddy died a few years ago - a big hug and a smile goes a long way - but even better a lie in with breakfast in bed complete with flowers in a vase on the tray - a relaxing hot bath - then a nice walk and a pint and lunch at a nice country pub and an afternoon nap but most of all your time - you don't realise what you have till its gone x enjoy your Dads x ill be putting flowers on my Daddy grave x x x x
  • Debzp
    Debzp Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    JohnnyK wrote: »
    What would I like for Fathers Day?

Given that I'm a divorced father & have a nasty, malicious ex-wife, who has made it all but impossible for me to actually see my own children for most of 13 years, despite three court orders to 'supposedly' enforce reasonable access.

All I want for Fathers Day, is the actually see my children & spend a little time with both of them. I love them dearly & miss them so much.
    Im going through the same hell as you but my kids are older and have been led like cattle to hate me by him :( its killing me too...
  • Debzp
    Debzp Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    JohnnyK wrote: »
    What would I like for Fathers Day?

Given that I'm a divorced father & have a nasty, malicious ex-wife, who has made it all but impossible for me to actually see my own children for most of 13 years, despite three court orders to 'supposedly' enforce reasonable access.

All I want for Fathers Day, is the actually see my children & spend a little time with both of them. I love them dearly & miss them so much.
    I didnt get a mothers day :( it hurts like hell :(
    Debzp wrote: »
    Im going through the same hell as you but my kids are older and have been led like cattle to hate me by him :( its killing me too...
  • icclemel
    Options
    I heard on a programme the other day that men like presents of things they already have, but an upgraded version- so if he has a laptop case, get him a leather one, etc. Take something you know he likes already and get a better one! With regards to some of the posts on here saying kids should spend more time with their parents, I offered to take my dad out to a train rally (definately not my sort of thing, definately his) and he said he would rather watch the grande prix, so its not always us kids (grown up kids at that) that are to blame!!
  • Clueless969
    Clueless969 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    icclemel wrote: »
    With regards to some of the posts on here saying kids should spend more time with their parents, I offered to take my dad out to a train rally (definately not my sort of thing, definately his) and he said he would rather watch the grande prix, so its not always us kids (grown up kids at that) that are to blame!!
    My suggestion was, indeed, to spend more time with our (grand)parents. What I thought I'd implied, but it seems I'd not made obvious enough (sorry :(), was that it should be on *their* terms, not ours. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure