Official MSE Economy 7 Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Susan1942
    Susan1942 Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The readings are correct My off peak time in summer switches on at 11 25 and goes off at 6 30 In winter the off peak switches on at 10 25 There is a light when heaters switch on I also hear the immersion heater heating water I have lived in this apartment for 18years
    I read my meter regularly and update the readings on line This year I am in credit but only by a small amount
    Currently I am paying £66 a month Last year I paid £84 but did have a refund of £126 when I changed from.M&S energy to Eon
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 October 2016 at 11:03AM
    Options
    I'm jealous of your timings Susan. At the moment my off peak is from 1.15am - 8.15am. My neighbour, also with Eon, has a split schedule meter. So she gets 2 hours cheap in the evening and 5 in the early hours. Apparently they don't fit those meters any more. But her timings would suit my lifestyle better and vice versa. I might ask Eon if a swap is possible!
    My last bill worked out at about £50 per month. Plus I have just received £20 worth of Bonusbond vouchers.
  • pineapple
    Options
    wattsupnow wrote: »
    My current supplier: Sainsbury's British Gas 4.17p kWh night tariff till Oct 17. Can anyone beat that?
    That's incredible. But what is your day rate? My tarif is around 5 for night rate and 12 for peak rate.
  • wattsupnow
    Options
    The tariff is Fixed July 2016. Night units 0.0417 Day units 0.0999 Standing charge 0.26 / day including Vat. Comes out top on Compare the Market but I never trust any comparison site - I always check the tariff and do my own sums. If you get Warm Home Discount (£140) check as some suppliers are not part of the scheme and could make some cheap deals actually more expensive than suppliers who pay Warm Home Discount.
  • pineapple
    Options
    Cheers
    Need to check my standing charge plus when my deal ends. If I remember rightly there is a penalty if I cancel. Just not keen on British Gas generally - but that has to be the cheapest going.:beer:
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    I'm jealous of your timings Susan. At the moment my off peak is from 1.15am - 8.15am. My neighbour, also with Eon, has a split schedule meter. So she gets 2 hours cheap in the evening and 5 in the early hours. Apparently they don't fit those meters any more. But her timings would suit my lifestyle better and vice versa. I might ask Eon if a swap is possible!
    My last bill worked out at about £50 per month. Plus I have just received £20 worth of Bonusbond vouchers.

Hello pineapple and I suspect your neighbour's right. Depending on the region, it's unlikely we'll be fitting split time Economy 7 meters. These are being phased out. A meter swap between you and your neighbour wouldn't be possible either for a similar reason as support is gradually being withdrawn.

Good news on the Bonusbond vouchers though.
    pineapple wrote: »
    Cheers
    Need to check my standing charge plus when my deal ends. If I remember rightly there is a penalty if I cancel. Just not keen on British Gas generally - but that has to be the cheapest going.:beer:

When does your current tariff run out? You might be inside the Price Protection window. This kicks in 49 calendar days before a fixed tariff ends until 20 working days after. If you change supplier during this time and provided we're told, we'll keep you on the cheaper prices whilst the switch goes through. Any exit fees will also be waived.

Hope this helps pineapple.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • pineapple
    Options
    Thanks Malc
    Well I'm in no rush to jump ship.. The current rate is very competitive and it would have to be a big saving. Plus that's not the only factor. I used to be a sheltered housing warden and it always seemed to be the same suppliers that tenants had problems with so I'm a bit cautious of certain others :)
    PS Shame about the meter swap idea. We'll just have to swap houses!
  • Joanneauker
    Joanneauker Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 22 October 2016 at 11:56AM
    Options
    I wanted to share my experience with British gas today. I realised that I am on an economy 7 tariff and meter (pre-payment) and knew that it wasn't suited to my usage as I don't have storage heaters and use very little energy in the night. I have been on this tariff for 7 years!I called today to enquire if I could get it changed and was told I've been paying too much and they booked an engineer for tomorrow morning to change to a single rate. I asked about the overcharges and they are refunding 7 years difference. Does anybody has a rough idea how much this could be please
    Last year I used: 4011 kWh in total( £738)
    Made up of 3242 kWh @ 18p per kWh
    769 kWh @ 6.8p per kWh
    The new rate will be 11.4 p standard
    Thanks in advance
  • lilac_dawn
    Options
    I have 2 storage heaters and one immersion heater. I also use 3 small electric heaters (for bedrooms without storage heaters and living room for when the storage heaters aren't yet used) and use the washing machine and dishwasher at night. I have no gas. My estimated use on my last bill was around 1400 units during the day and 4800 units at night. I'm just shopping around for the best deal - currently with EDF.
    So far I've found one with a slightly lower day rate but slightly higher night rate. As I use most of my electricity at night, would I be better off looking for the lowest night rate I can find, as long as the day rate isn't too much higher? EDF's latest offering is 14.09 day and 5.09 night.
  • yumzone
    yumzone Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I have moved into my flat last week and have found that i am spending approx £5 every 24 hours. I have no idea if that is good or bad?? I live in a one bed flat with a storage heater in my bedroom and a storage heater in the lounge I have only had the heater in the lounge switched on.

just some questions for concern:
      Should i have the heaters on as and when i need the heat or stack it up on a night time tariff? Is my boiler eating all my electric? Should i have it powered up at certain times? My shower is always powered up? Should i turn it on as and when i use it? i.e. turn of the power switch?

I really have no idea about this but £5 a day seems like a lot to be paying??:exclamati
    :T Smilings good for you, it releases happy endorphines in your brain and makes your boobs grow bigger :T
    :naughty: Don't worry about the world coming to an end today; it's already tomorrow in Australia! :naughty:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback