MSE Blog: Couponing: my new MoneySaving obsession

Options

Comments

• miss_scrooge
    miss_scrooge Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    I've watched it now found it on you tube few days ago extreme couponing quite disturbing and watched cheapskates even more disturbing I always thought I was a cheapskate but realised I'm not.Can understand why they want to save money though didn't get any ideas.Saw another programme about the extreme couponing programme was saying the coupons they were using fraudulent also cashiers were doing something wrong.
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've watched it now found it on you tube few days ago extreme couponing quite disturbing and watched cheapskates even more disturbing I always thought I was a cheapskate but realised I'm not.Can understand why they want to save money though didn't get any ideas.Saw another programme about the extreme couponing programme was saying the coupons they were using fraudulent also cashiers were doing something wrong.

the extreme.couponing programme was discussed last year I think.

basically like the uk version there was a bit of artistic licensing used when making the programme.

a lot of the supermarkets dont allow evwrything you see there. also some stores deliberatley put on offers that were not available for the filming.
  • 76rosie
    76rosie Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    hi.

i was given a headache yesterday with my dr oetker coupons in asda.

i emailed and have had a call back saying they have spoken to store.

if i am given a hard time i should ask for store manager.

it can be frustrating:(
    grocery challenge 9.86/60
  • PRINCESSX87
    PRINCESSX87 Posts: 969 Forumite
    Options
    Aesop wrote: »
    the extreme.couponing programme was discussed last year I think.

basically like the uk version there was a bit of artistic licensing used when making the programme.

a lot of the supermarkets dont allow evwrything you see there. also some stores deliberatley put on offers that were not available for the filming.

There was a UK version? Any idea where I might be able to find this?
    Future goals:
    Become debt free.
    Beat Depression.
    Be happy & healthy
  • miss_scrooge
    miss_scrooge Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    It's on the website 4od programme called The ultimate guide to penny pinching.
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There was a UK version? Any idea where I might be able to find this?

It was only one episode filmed, think miss scrooge is right. It caused a riot amongst us couponers and got quite ugly too.

The lady involved is an mser, and although she told a lot of truths on TV, clever editing (as usual) made it look worse than the actual situation was. Although she was a bit naughty and had lots of coupons for an item we knew you couldn't get that many.

But the tV programme had told her to save as many coupons as she could to use in the one they were filming her in. Hence it looked great, MSE got a lot of new people joining asking where to get all the coupons so they could save as much!
  • ScarletRaven
    ScarletRaven Posts: 438 Forumite
    Options
    Following on from my successful part-of-a-weekly shop at Mr.T the other day, I did the rest today at Mr. M's and had some more successful bargains! :)

Shopping should have cost £18.54, but after reductions and coupons it came to £11.56 - nice little saving of £6.98. That includes Morrisons paying me 39p after a couple of overcharge coupons :D

On top of that I got 20p cashback on sweetcorn from TCB, and a 50p Gu coupon (plus the Gu puds were yellow-stickered so even better!) :)

Best bargains:
    - Gu Puds should have cost £3.59, I paid £1.67 and got the free 50p coupon inside the pack :)
    - Tin of Green Giant sweetcorn for 9p (after using 30p coupon, 10% discount and getting 20p back from TCB)
    - Free 2pk of new Muller Deluxe mint yoghurts (Mr.M actually paid me 10p to buy these as coupon was more than product price)
    - Free 300g pack of Quorn mince (again, Mr.M paid me 29p to buy this, as coupon was more than the item price).

So, the grand totals for this week's shopping (from Mr.T, Lidl and Mr.M):

Total cost should have been: £62.56
    Total paid: £37.83
    Total savings: £24.63

Very happy with that! Our weekly shopping budget is currently £45, so we were up a few quid this week. That spare cash will be going into a tin that I'll be using as an 'emergency fund', as you never know when you may need a bit of extra cash for something (especially as we have a baby on the way!).

Going to hopefully be able to do that every week with all these savings! :) Yay for couponing!
  • PRINCESSX87
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the programme name, I’ve just spared an hour to have a watch.

Talking wise I think all the people made sense, You wouldn’t spend more money than necessary. However, When it came to the coupon lady, I think you could see it was very much false advertising of coupons, moc’s & voucher spending and encouraged at lot of people to try and bend the rules. Which is a shame because it ruins it for others.

I also was a little shocked that the coupon lady admitted she hadn’t funded her lunch.

My personal couponing is slow atm. I’m busy rebuilding them for our monthly shop which is going to be a first for us as we’re normally weekly shoppers.

Looking on the voucher thread, It seems no one knows when ssm change their coupon dates. As most if not all say valid until the 16th of this month, Do I take it they rotate them monthly?
    Future goals:
    Become debt free.
    Beat Depression.
    Be happy & healthy
  • abailey54
    abailey54 Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the programme name, I’ve just spared an hour to have a watch.

Talking wise I think all the people made sense, You wouldn’t spend more money than necessary. However, When it came to the coupon lady, I think you could see it was very much false advertising of coupons, moc’s & voucher spending and encouraged at lot of people to try and bend the rules. Which is a shame because it ruins it for others.

I also was a little shocked that the coupon lady admitted she hadn’t funded her lunch.

My personal couponing is slow atm. I’m busy rebuilding them for our monthly shop which is going to be a first for us as we’re normally weekly shoppers.

Looking on the voucher thread, It seems no one knows when ssm change their coupon dates. As most if not all say valid until the 16th of this month, Do I take it they rotate them monthly?

I could be wrong but I think the dates relate to when you print them off - I don't think SSM change all their coupons as often as monthly - happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong
    Final cigarette smoked 02/01/18
    Weight loss 2017 28lbs
    Weight gain 2018 8lbs :rotfl:
  • PRINCESSX87
    Options
    Only reason why I suggested it may appear monthly is because of the dates. I might try emailing ssm and ask. Does anyone else have any other helpful websites with coupons?
    Future goals:
    Become debt free.
    Beat Depression.
    Be happy & healthy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business