🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE Blog: Couponing: my new MoneySaving obsession

Options

Comments

• MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    AngelsMadv wrote: »
    I think it's just a British attitude of not wanting someone else to get something they don't have.

You really do have to pick your SA when using coupons - that in itself should shock shops into training but it just doesn't. Many of the managers themselves deliberately don't honour store and coupon policies.

This is so true!
    At the weekend I went to spend my Bzz vouchers as well as a couple of others. I was given some long winded stories why I couldn't use so many coupons at once, such as the store manager "didn't want people buying lots of stuff and getting it for nothing!", and that the store were losing out on money.(bull, they get a refund from the company who gave out the coupon).
    I could use 1 coupon per transaction was the initial line. "Okay", I said "put them through one at a time". I apologised to the people queuing behind me and said to the supervisor "obviously 10 transactions helps the situation doesn't it? Please explain why.":rotfl:
    She mumbled for a bit then said for the SA to just put them all through:T. She disappeared before I could ask her just what Tesco's company line was on coupon use. Obviously we all know what that is, it's just a pity that Tesco store staff think they can rewrite their rule book.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • miss_scrooge
    miss_scrooge Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    Got a lovely surprise in the post yesterday of 5 x £1 Muller coupons.

Going to be keeping an eye out for the best offers to use them on (they have a year before they go out of date so plenty of time ;))

Go on mysupermarket.co.uk website don't have to register I don't then type in muller and can find out what supermarket has the best offfer and cheapest price I do that when I have coupons and other times saves money and time.
  • ScarletRaven
    ScarletRaven Posts: 438 Forumite
    Options
    Go on mysupermarket.co.uk website don't have to register I don't then type in muller and can find out what supermarket has the best offfer and cheapest price I do that when I have coupons and other times saves money and time.

That's what I usually do when using vouchers :) Though I do most of my shopping at Lidl and Morrisons so I like to check their in store offers as well. Morrisons in particular have offers on Muller items all the time.
  • abailey54
    abailey54 Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is so true!
    At the weekend I went to spend my Bzz vouchers as well as a couple of others. I was given some long winded stories why I couldn't use so many coupons at once, such as the store manager "didn't want people buying lots of stuff and getting it for nothing!", and that the store were losing out on money.(bull, they get a refund from the company who gave out the coupon).
    I could use 1 coupon per transaction was the initial line. "Okay", I said "put them through one at a time". I apologised to the people queuing behind me and said to the supervisor "obviously 10 transactions helps the situation doesn't it? Please explain why.":rotfl:
    She mumbled for a bit then said for the SA to just put them all through:T. She disappeared before I could ask her just what Tesco's company line was on coupon use. Obviously we all know what that is, it's just a pity that Tesco store staff think they can rewrite their rule book.

My local morrisons don't even take printed coupons, they'll only take the magazine ones - consequently I spend a lot less money in there now than I used to ;)
    Final cigarette smoked 02/01/18
    Weight loss 2017 28lbs
    Weight gain 2018 8lbs :rotfl:
  • AngelsMadv
    AngelsMadv Posts: 2,668 Forumite
    Options
    abailey54 wrote: »
    My local morrisons don't even take printed coupons, they'll only take the magazine ones - consequently I spend a lot less money in there now than I used to ;)

I guess they don't realise they're shooting themselves in the foot!
    I am firmly across the line. I won't impose my values on you if you keep away from mine.
    Updated 14/10/14 :A
  • PRINCESSX87
    PRINCESSX87 Posts: 969 Forumite
    Options
    I've noticed that Morrisons seems to be slow on the coupon front, Sainsburys has been the best for us so far..
    Future goals:
    Become debt free.
    Beat Depression.
    Be happy & healthy
  • ScarletRaven
    edited 7 June 2013 at 4:21PM
    Options
    abailey54 wrote: »

In that case I would contact their head office, as they are ignoring their own coupon policy. The only coupons they won't accept are photocopies (and coupons for other specific stores, obviously), but they should accept all others including internet coupons, as long as you're buying the correct product.

I used to work there and my partner still does work there in customer services, so trust me when I say they're fobbing you off with false info ;) If you contact head office, they'll get in touch with the specific store and get the coupon policy resent to them and order immediate re-training of all relevant staff in that area. You may even get something for your trouble as an apology, but that'll be at the office's discretion of course.
  • abailey54
    abailey54 Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In that case I would contact their head office, as they are ignoring their own coupon policy. The only coupons they won't accept are photocopies (and coupons for other specific stores, obviously), but they should accept all others including internet coupons, as long as you're buying the correct product.

I used to work there and my partner still does work there in customer services, so trust me when I say they're fobbing you off with false info ;) If you contact head office, they'll get in touch with the specific store and get the coupon policy resent to them and order immediate re-training of all relevant staff in that area. You may even get something for your trouble as an apology, but that'll be at the office's discretion of course.

Thanks ScarletRaven, I will do, if it does prompt them to start taking them it would be a great help
    Final cigarette smoked 02/01/18
    Weight loss 2017 28lbs
    Weight gain 2018 8lbs :rotfl:
  • ScarletRaven
    Options
    Did a mini shop today before our main one on Monday, and I went along armed with my stash of coupons!

Total cost of shopping should have been £28.57, but after offers and coupons it came to just £10.82 - a saving of £17.75! :D

Best bargains:
    - Rustlers BBQ Chicken Wrap - FREE (should have been £2)
    - Sprite 500ml bottle - FREE (should have been £1.37)
    - 2 x packs of new Muller Kids Corner yoghurts - 19p per pack (should have been £2.39 per pack at full price, or £1.19 at current offer price).

Also had a coupon for 50 extra clubcard points, and managed to bring home £47+ worth of coupons for other products that can be used between now and March next year, which came free in an Old El Paso kit and in 2 pizzas, and the Tesco mag :)

Great couponing day!
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like a good channel must be on sky I only have freeview.

TLC is on virgin media too.can't be found on freeview.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport