MSE News: Energy bill discount for those living near wind farms

Options
"People living near wind farms will receive at least £100 off electricity bills, under a scheme announced by RES..."
Read the full story:

Energy bill discount for those living near wind farms

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Dasa
    Dasa Posts: 702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd rather not have the Windmill Farms in view and they can keep the £100.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I wonder how close they have to be, there is a wind farm about 5/6 miles from me in one direction and another proposed one about 8 miles in the another direction and a single turbine about 4 miles away in yet another direction.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Do we qualify? I'm sure we are the nearest house to this windfarm.

We used to enjoy such beautiful views but have been blighted by these monstrosities for a few years now. Can the payments be backdated?

windfarml.jpg
  • Dasa
    Dasa Posts: 702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »

We used to enjoy such beautiful views but have been blighted by these monstrosities for a few years now. Can the payments be backdated?

windfarml.jpg

What a shame, you should be compensated with a lot more than £100 so you can move if you want to get away from them.
  • Natb8886
    Natb8886 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I take it this is to bribe people into not complaining about these eye sores. But as someone above said, how close do you have to be? You could be several miles away and these things could still ruin the view from your garden without producing any meaningful amount of electricity to the national grid.
  • torbrex
    Options
    I should add that I stongly support wind farms and the power they generate goes a long way to reducing the dependancy on the burning of fossil fuels.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any area that fights against wind turbines should go straight to the top of the list for a shiny new nuclear power station!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • gadgetmind
    edited 24 May 2013 at 1:22PM
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »

Looks like you also own a telephoto lens.

Can we have another picture with a normal lens and/or know where this is so we can use google streetview?

<edit>

How to make wind turbines look larger than they appear to the naked eye.

http://www.ufz.de/index.php?en=19328
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • torbrex
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Any area that fights against wind turbines should go straight to the top of the list for a shiny new nuclear power station!
    and if they are successful, they should pay an extra £100/year for their electricity.
  • gadgetmind
    Options
    Found it.

This is how the Gunfleet Sands turbines actually look.

http://goo.gl/maps/lA3ul

I even found a bench for scale!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure