MSE News: Top ten supermarket pricing blunders

Options

Comments

• anoncol
    anoncol Posts: 982 Forumite
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    I don't think there is a problem with beef and lamb - everybody knows the dishonesty of the 'British' moniker and only ever buys Welsh or Scottish or New Zealand - they know not to buy British.

Rubbish. The entire EU was caught up in the horse scandal.
  • fionajbanana
    fionajbanana Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Options
    aau1 wrote: »
    5D50034A-A9B3-4F74-9E76-7170FF201739-4139-0000074E37492948_zps18c19cde.jpg

The 4-pack was £2.63 before being reduced to £2

Its an example of the thicko shelf fillers Tesco seem to employ. If you scanned one of the 4+2 packs, it still scan at £2.

Don't start me with the cat food.........
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2013 at 5:24PM
    Options
    Its an example of the thicko shelf fillers Tesco seem to employ. If you scanned one of the 4+2 packs, it still scan at £2.

The labels are still not consistent - the crossed out price on one is £2.63 which is not £3.74. It's not the fillers at fault it is the whoever-it-is-who-composes-labels that are wrong. They are dishonestly pricing a flashed-with-free pack at a six pack rather than four pack price.

Edit: Hmm, okay, I'm probably wrong, it could be the fillers - looking again the 4+2 packs are misplaced at a 6 pack SEL.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    anoncol wrote: »
    Rubbish. The entire EU was caught up in the horse scandal.

Not sure that that is remotely relevant to what I wrote.
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The labels are still not consistent - the crossed out price on one is £2.63 which is not £3.74. It's not the fillers at fault it is the whoever-it-is-who-composes-labels that are wrong. They are dishonestly pricing a flashed-with-free pack at a six pack rather than four pack price.

Edit: Hmm, okay, I'm probably wrong, it could be the fillers - looking again the 4+2 packs are misplaced at a 6 pack SEL.

A larger photo of the whole bean fixture may help. We do not know what is to the left of the beans. May be a whole stack of 6 pack beans? So could be shelf stacker not looking properly or moving price ticket to the left.
    Could even be stock rotation. Eg they had not sold all the 2 free can stock up yet, but changed shelf edge label earlier in the day etc.
    It could even be a customer putting products back on a shelf in the wrong place.
    Or just a big mess up at head office.
    From one photo we can not tell.

Still if product scanned at £2.00 and you thought it was going to cost £3.74 cheaper than your going to be happy.
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure that that is remotely relevant to what I wrote.

I interpreted your comments that "british" moniker is not a selling point in your view of most people buying habits. While Welsh or New Zealand were signs of quality.
    I may have interpreted what you wrote wrongly.
    Please feel free to state your reasoning behind not being a fan of britsh moniker.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    And unless someone can confirm otherwise, I find it hard to believe that they'd be charged 80p for 2. Promotions generally work by putting through the items at full price and then calculating an amount to deduct - I doubt it's possible for that deduction amount to be positive.

Play.com did have an offer a few years ago that worked like that - I can't remember the exact prices, but it was about £5 or 2 for £15 and if you put 2 in your basket it added money on to make it £15.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• Lieja
    Lieja Posts: 466 Forumite
    Options

I'm not sure that bean placement is any reflection on the shelf-stacker's intelligence. It probably more accurately reflects their mind-numbing boredom and general disinterest in where tins of beans are shelved. I sincerely hope that they had something more interesting to think about while they were stacking.
  • spidereyes
    spidereyes Posts: 257 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2013 at 3:53PM
    Options
    Not really a pricing error; but typical examples of "extra free" or BOGOF promo's which make the customer think they are getting more for their money.

Duracell 8 pack (5+3 free) - at standard 8 pack prices
    When have you ever seen a 5 pack of Duracell anyway?

Another good example is Poundland...
    eg. shampoo 100ml for the price of 50ml, yet normal sizes elsewhere are 100ml and only costs 98p.

People see a "offer" and don't actually take the time to consider if it genuinely is one or not
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure