hoflipstick.jpg
  • atarisrocks
    atarisrocks Posts: 645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i remember seeing one in asda for bread flour was £198 now 89p
  • qwiksave
    qwiksave Posts: 4,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I've been to check the box of burgers and the one on the left does say 79% beef in the list of contents. We really have to keep our eyes open when we shop.
    I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful
    Marilyn Monroe
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    most deals in tesco come under this banner. they change them so much you never know what the price is.
    they yoyo so much i've given up shopping there.
    why dont they just keep prices either low or average instead of all this up and down nonesence.

thats why their profits have taken a dive, this sort of con trick only puts off their customers. hence why asda seems to be thriving.
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 May 2013 at 5:26PM
    qwiksave wrote: »
    I'm thinking you could be right there dlusman, in which case Iceland are being sneaky (but clever) in the way they are marketing it.

Its common practise and not sneaky to say 100% british beef. Lots of consumer these days want their products to be 100% british meat so Iceland are letting people know this.

This does not mean the product is 100% beef. If Iceland sell a pork sausage roll with all the pork being british. They could declare "100% british pork" on the label. I hope no one would assume this product is 100% pork as the product is going to have pastry in it etc.

If they sold a pork & parma ham sausage roll. The this would not be 100% british pork due to the Parma ham. THey could put on front of pack 80% british pork (assume 80% pork 20% ham). Though they would probably not make reference to product containing 80% british pork as it does not read well.

The above is a example as I not checked to see if Iceland sell a sausage roll (though I guess they do not sell pork & parma ham roll)
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    The freezer supermarkets are notorious for cheating on the 50% extra free packages. (Every other supermarket does as well, though). In this case they do appear to be different products (as checked by Qwiksave in #15).

But there are always fishcakes or fish or some item where they are trying it on - trouble is, they are now deliberately wising up to the standards and just remove one of the products from sale.

Savers do the same with Morning Fresh washing up liquid - the 50% extra free flashed packs are priced 50% more expensive than the normal sizes (and the sneaky cheats always ensure only one size is on sale at a time (and sometimes they just sell different colours in different sizes to avoid prosecution.))
  • Nada666
    edited 21 May 2013 at 5:44PM
    stephen77 wrote: »
    Its common practise and not sneaky to say 100% british beef. Lots of consumer these days want their products to be 100% british meat so Iceland are letting people know this.

This does not mean the product is 100% beef.

I don't think there is a problem with beef and lamb - everybody knows the dishonesty of the 'British' moniker and only ever buys Welsh or Scottish or New Zealand - they know not to buy British. The trouble is pork is still often sold as British when it is 'really' British - so it can be next to impossible to buy pork if you do want native pork.

Edit: Hmm, just re-read your post - I misread what you were saying. You appear to be suggesting that 'British' means something - it doesn't. "Contains 100% British beef " does not need to contain what a casual reader thinks that means.

Edit: Hmm, again. You don't seem to have grasped the point of Dlusman's point (#6), either!
  • Nada666
    And in the original article - what is wrong with two packs of £2.19 rice being sold for £2? I don't understand the problem. That appears to be a genuine offer (unless they are 250g packs.)
  • aau1
    aau1 Posts: 19,401 Forumite
    5D50034A-A9B3-4F74-9E76-7170FF201739-4139-0000074E37492948_zps18c19cde.jpg

The 4-pack was £2.63 before being reduced to £2
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is [strike]the word[/strike] a moorhen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure