MSE News: Top ten supermarket pricing blunders

Comments

• Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The word 'gaffe' assumes it's a mistake, surely it's just another way of pulling the wool over the customer's eyes. Deliberate, not mistake. Private companies exist purely to make profit at the expense of customers, no other reason and certainly not to do the customers a favour or to give them something for nothing. (that's called a foodbank)

That's why I don't understand why people are so shocked or surprised.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    JasonLVC wrote: »
    _64487286_amyshepherd.jpg

You'd have to be a right lemon to go for this offer.

I don't believe these pricing errors are actually errors, I believe they are just an extension of the trickery played out everyday in the supermarkets.

Whether it is 2-4-1 offers where the individual price of one item is over-inflated to make buying two justified, the subtle reduction in packaging size/weight, own brand products designed to look identical to top branded products, big word showing "sale" and £5 and then in tiny writing you see that £5 is off the selling price of £15 so actually costs you £10 not the £5 as the big type face implies and the other raft of gimmicks and deals are all there to confuse the buyer.

The above example, joking aside, means if you bought one lime it would cost you 30p but if you bought two it would cost you 80p, so the customer might see the 30p price and grab two only for it to cost them more, they should have just bought one lime to make the saving, a sort of buy less get it cheaper sort of deal.

How absurd. It's blatantly obvious that there isn't someone employed in Tesco HQ plotting a scheme to trick people into buying loose lemons... Claim the supermarkets are immoral and don't care about anyone all you like, but if news got out the supermarkets were doing this deliberately (which it would - despite ridiculous assumptions people make that low-paid employees have some kind of bizarre loyalty to their employers it's obviously not true) then they would lose a hell of a lot more than they gained by questionably pricing loose lemons...

They sell thousands of different products in each store, there are always going to be mistakes - and despite half-baked conspiracy theories, these errors are often in the customers favour. How many posts have there been on here about Tesco mis-prices?

And unless someone can confirm otherwise, I find it hard to believe that they'd be charged 80p for 2. Promotions generally work by putting through the items at full price and then calculating an amount to deduct - I doubt it's possible for that deduction amount to be positive.
    qwiksave wrote: »
    I've been to check the box of burgers and the one on the left does say 79% beef in the list of contents. We really have to keep our eyes open when we shop.

I've always found it pretty disturbing that shocks so many people...
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Nada666 wrote: »
    And in the original article - what is wrong with two packs of £2.19 rice being sold for £2? I don't understand the problem. That appears to be a genuine offer (unless they are 250g packs.)
    But it means a person who only wants one will be ripped off!
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    inicholson wrote: »
    555223_390509620984129_220334765_n.jpg
    Cheapest breakfast ever - less than a penny

Where's this ?! lol
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nada666 wrote: »
    I don't think there is a problem with beef and lamb - everybody knows the dishonesty of the 'British' moniker and only ever buys Welsh or Scottish or New Zealand - they know not to buy British. The trouble is pork is still often sold as British when it is 'really' British - so it can be next to impossible to buy pork if you do want native pork.

In my local Italian supermarket the packs of meat indicate the code of the animal and where it was raised, slaughtered and sectioned. The ragu I just had for lunch was actually from Irish raised beef slaughtered in Italy. First time I've noticed from IE, as it's often French or even Polish. So it's not difficult to indicate the source of meat and there's no embarassment here. Mind you they certainly point out if it's locally (regionally) raised.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    callum9999 wrote: »
    And unless someone can confirm otherwise, I find it hard to believe that they'd be charged 80p for 2. Promotions generally work by putting through the items at full price and then calculating an amount to deduct - I doubt it's possible for that deduction amount to be positive.

Well, I'm not in the UK at the moment but I'm sure a few on here will take on the investigation! What you say would seem sensible.

Mind you, if it were possible I can see a few possible tactics to counter-act it... neeed 30 lemons for a party... individual transactions for each one...
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well, I'm not in the UK at the moment but I'm sure a few on here will take on the investigation! What you say would seem sensible.

Mind you, if it were possible I can see a few possible tactics to counter-act it... neeed 30 lemons for a party... individual transactions for each one...

I believe similar examples to the 2 lemons issues have before have been shown on programs like watchdog.
    And the retailers have said two lemons will come through as the cheapest price of 2 *30p = 60p and not 80p.

If you want to buy 30 lemons. The cashier can override the price issue anyway most of the time. Even if they can not change the price at the till, I have had money put back on my card by customer services at a super market before.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    But it means a person who only wants one will be ripped off!

Where do you shop? Clearly not the UK. Otherwise you would have starved to death. Marks and Spencers have just announced they are saved by their food results - and they have joined in with this nonsense. Clearly no-one else is like you or I and do not buy such lines.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    callum9999 wrote: »

They sell thousands of different products in each store, there are always going to be mistakes - and despite half-baked conspiracy theories, these errors are often in the customers favour. How many posts have there been on here about Tesco mis-prices?
    That is a pretty bold statement to make. I assume of course that you have evidence to back this assertion?
  • stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    thor wrote: »
    That is a pretty bold statement to make. I assume of course that you have evidence to back this assertion?

as callum says.
    There are loads of threads on here about mispricing.
    Also if you find a error a till they will refund it, if over charged. They do not ask for money when the other way round.

I always check my receipt if the cost of the shopping does not add up. Well normally use self scan so I can see the price go through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure